JOHN’s PLACE

jonwilly

5 hours ago, jonwilly said:

is it still owned by John and s anyone know the opening times ?

John retired a few years ago and the location has been up for rent for a few years , as the property was advertised for rent , John probably has nothing to do with it .

Johns Daughter took over running Johns place just before it closed down and she was going to open JP in a different location 

14 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

John retired a few years ago and the location has been up for rent for a few years , as the property was advertised for rent , John probably has nothing to do with it .

Johns Daughter took over running Johns place just before it closed down and she was going to open JP in a different location 

What is special about the place?

7 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

What is special about the place?

It used to be a pub with strippers and they changed it to a roof top bar and restaurant and John the Thai guy was quite well known , sitting there wearing his hat watching everyone like he owned the place and bossing everyone about .

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It used to be a pub with strippers and they changed it to a roof top bar and restaurant and John the Thai guy was quite well known , sitting there wearing his hat watching everyone like he owned the place and bossing everyone about .

So you went to look at women. Naughty boy.

I first used John s Place when I came to reside in

CM back in 2001.

Old hands assured me that in years gone by they had a brothel upstairs but that was long gone.

I used to take breakfast there and once again old hands had me join in  B20-30 and one of the staff (it was a 24 hr operation back then ) would go and purchase a large bag of fried chicken, rice and Thai veg for all to tuck into.

I got to know John and met his identical twin brother of who legend said was senior police officer for the Pat Pong district in BKK.

I found the staff friendly and certainly liked the place.

Several  friends who came out for holidays stayed in what became the M hotel and John s Place was our meeting point for a beer or two.

John 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jonwilly said:

I got to know John and met his identical twin brother of who legend said was senior police officer for the Pat Pong district in BKK.

I met the Bangkok twin first. He had a well-run upstairs bar in Patpong (probably the best one of that type). It was called The Fire--- (-house, -place, -side; can't remember now, this was the seventies) and I think his name may have been Vinai. Never heard anything about him being a policeman although he was obviously well connected. I went to John's Place in the early 90s and mistakenly thought it was the guy from Bangkok. We had a mutually confusing conversation until we figured out what had happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

In early 2001 most mornings of the week there was a “Meeting” in John’s Place of several  police officers. Their bodyguards/drivers would accompany them and sit at another table. 
On one such morning Johns twin brother was up visiting and that’s when I was told he was the senior police officer who’s area was Pat Pong.

This was before the crackdown on bars especially in Loi Khro which happened in August if I remember correctly.

John 

2 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

In early 2001 most mornings of the week there was a “Meeting” in John’s Place of several  police officers. Their bodyguards/drivers would accompany them and sit at another table. 
On one such morning Johns twin brother was up visiting and that’s when I was told he was the senior police officer who’s area was Pat Pong.

This was before the crackdown on bars especially in Loi Khro which happened in August if I remember correctly.

John 

The crackdown on bars started in about 2013

Mick

believe me CM was much wilder 20 odd years back.

There was a crackdown in August, a very senior Thai, had been driven down Loi Khro, in the evening, in her chueffer driven motor and had been disgusted by what was to be seen.

The police where told from on high to sort matters out, they did.

Most of the old hands I got to meet back in 2001 have now past on.

They could tell some tales from Fang and it’s B10 working girls (hill tribe) to the goings on in the Karen Hut.

John 

19 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

Mick

believe me CM was much wilder 20 odd years back.

There was a crackdown in August, a very senior Thai, had been driven down Loi Khro, in the evening, in her chueffer driven motor and had been disgusted by what was to be seen.

The police where told from on high to sort matters out, they did.

Most of the old hands I got to meet back in 2001 have now past on.

They could tell some tales from Fang and it’s B10 working girls (hill tribe) to the goings on in the Karen Hut.

John 

What did the police officers see ?

There was a Thai style agogo that John owned just across from his place on the small soi, they had a couple of sofas and arm chairs, couple of girls wearing shorts and t shirts on the poles. That was approximately 1997.

Edited by roo860

Mick

it wasn't police that was drove down Loi Khro, and saw young Thai girls in bikini tops, outside the bars. The person was of high influence became very angry and the tale was the senior police office CM ended up ‘tapping the boards’ (old military expression) the following morning, or so we heard at the time.

John 

• Like 1

The "Imperial Mae Ping" had Royal patrons whom traveled the route from the Palace beyond Wot Doi Suthep, back in the day for diversion.

"Black Cat" was the pub to go to.

Jungle Curry, was snake in sauce with local veggies.

Boat Noodles had "Thai Ganja" subsequently removed from the recipe as it was deemed illegal,

How I miss the past, yet look forward to the future.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Mick

it wasn't police that was drove down Loi Khro, and saw young Thai girls in bikini tops, outside the bars. The person was of high influence became very angry and the tale was the senior police office CM ended up ‘tapping the boards’ (old military expression) the following morning, or so we heard at the time.

John 

I cannot believe that at all : Girls don't tend to wear "bikini" tops any where in C.M , girls don't generally hang around outside the bars down LK as the pavements are small and there's no "young girls" at all , typically older woman who have nowhere else to go .

Loi Kroh is pretty much deserted these days and I cannot believe there were young girls in bikinis hanging around outside bars , and its rainy season at the moment as well 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I cannot believe that at all : Girls don't tend to wear "bikini" tops any where in C.M , girls don't generally hang around outside the bars down LK as the pavements are small and there's no "young girls" at all , typically older woman who have nowhere else to go .

Loi Kroh is pretty much deserted these days and I cannot believe there were young girls in bikinis hanging around outside bars , and its rainy season at the moment as well 

He talk about then, 20 years ago, and you reply about now.  Why you do that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill97 said:

He talk about then, 20 years ago, and you reply about now.  Why you do that?

He did say that there was crack down in August , I did assume he was talking about the August just gone , August 2022 .

If people are talking about 20 years ago, they would normally state the year and not the month 

20 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He did say that there was crack down in August , I did assume he was talking about the August just gone , August 2022 .

If people are talking about 20 years ago, they would normally state the year and not the month 

Read what he wrote again and see the 20 years ago reference and the 2001, hard to believe it was missed. Twice.

1 minute ago, Bill97 said:

Read what he wrote again and see the 20 years ago reference and the 2001, hard to believe it was missed. Twice.

He put a full stop at the end of the sentence which contained "2001" and then began a new sentence which contained the word "August" , he should have use a comma to show both sentences were connected , rather than a full stop who denotes two different stand alone sentences .   

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He put a full stop at the end of the sentence which contained "2001" and then began a new sentence which contained the word "August" , he should have use a comma to show both sentences were connected , rather than a full stop who denotes two different stand alone sentences .   

He mentions 2001 twice and states 20 years ago. But if you think he was talking about this year you  got problems I hope you can find help with.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

He mentions 2001 twice and states 20 years ago. But if you think he was talking about this year you  got problems I hope you can find help with.

Do stop over reacting . 

I misunderstood a post on ASEANNOW , that hardly requires seeking outside help .

Like going to see a doctor or a psychiatrist and explaining "Help, I was reading a post on ASEAENNOW and I misunderstood the context because the year wasn't written after the month of August was written and I assumed they meant the previous month of August  , can you cure me "

????????