Taking a trip near the end of my visa expiry date, I assume I should just come back without a reentry permit and get a 30 day visa exempt, right?

Hey all, apologies in advance if this is a dumb question, but you can never be too careful and I will try to make it quick.  Non-O-Visa based on marriage with an extension of stay until December 8th , 2022.  This was my first marriage visa so I'm not sure, but in case you are wondering why there is an extension of stay (or maybe this is normal), I guess it was because I got a couple COVID extensions before the visa was activated.  My 90 day residency check in is all good until December 10th, after my extension of stay expires.  My wife and I are making a plan to take a trip to Tokyo the first week of November.  Depending on the return time, a re entry permit would only give me 27-28 days before my stay expires.

I have read getting a reentry permit is not a big hassle, can be done at the airport upon departure and costs 1000 baht.  Is this all correct?

Even if so, I don't necessarily plan to be in Thailand for more than a week upon return.  Depends on if I can save this marriage during our trip to Tokyo (we are having some marital issues).  If things are still rough and we are living separately, I would prefer to get out and go to Vietnam for awhile and just see if our feelings change in time or just move forward in my life.  Most likely, it would be Vietnam to take time apart.  With that said, wouldn't it be wiser to come in on a visa exempt and have the option to extend it if I so desired, rather than pay for a reentry permit that would give me 2-3 days I really wouldn't need anyway?  Or would I risk being hassled at airport immigration (BKK or DMK...not booked yet) for being married and/or having a valid extension of stay with no reentry permit?  Rookie question, but thanks in advance.

Easy to get a re-entry permit at either airport in Bangkok.

I think you should get a re-entry permit since you do not appear to be sure what you will be done.

Easier to get a re-entry permit than starting all over again if you enter visa exempt that now allows a 45 day stay. 

To start all over again means having to get a new non-o visa (2000 baht). And then the one year extension.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Easy to get a re-entry permit at either airport in Bangkok.

I think you should get a re-entry permit since you do not appear to be sure what you will be done.

Easier to get a re-entry permit than starting all over again if you enter visa exempt that now allows a 45 day stay. 

To start all over again means having to get a new non-o visa (2000 baht). And then the one year extension.

Thanks, but if I get a reentry permit, My stay expires in 27-28 days, and then don't I have to start all over again and leave to get a new non-o visa based on marriage, including showing 400k in the bank, seasoned for two months.  Is that correct?

39 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

Thanks, but if I get a reentry permit, My stay expires in 27-28 days, and then don't I have to start all over again and leave to get a new non-o visa based on marriage, including showing 400k in the bank, seasoned for two months.  Is that correct?

You stated this......

"Even if so, I don't necessarily plan to be in Thailand for more than a week upon return"...

A reentry permit for the sake of 1000baht would keep thinks simple. 

OR ...don't get a reentry permit and reenter visa exempt.

Up to you..

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, keysersoze276 said:

Thanks for the advice, gents.  Quick question- how do I get the reentry permit at the airport (DMK)?  Just ask the immigration officer when they are stamping me out upon departure?

Reentry permit office is just other side of passport control at DMK.

You can see the office just behind io.

You do not need to tell io that you are obtaining a reentry permit, but good manners if you have long extension.

Saves him time of reminding you.

Best to have the TM8 all filled in (with photo)  ready to hand over with the basic photocopies of pp. 

I like to have the exact baht.

1000/3800. 

Edited by DrJack54

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Reentry permit office is just other side of passport control at DMK.

You can see the office just behind io.

You do not need to tell io that you are obtaining a reentry permit, but good manners if you have long extension.

Saves him time of reminding you.

Best to have the TM8 all filled in (with photo)  ready to hand over with the basic photocopies of pp. 

I like to have the exact baht.

1000/3800. 

Thanks!  Understood and easy-peasy!  I looked into the re entry permit process and just printed the TM8.  Making photocopies of the Passport front page and page of last entry date, as I read was required (and I will make a copy of my last extension stamp with my extension of stay date, just in case).  I think I still have a few photos left I can dig up to attach.  Thanks for your response and all the help you bring to this forum.  Same for Joe and BritTim and a few other guys that spend time sharing knowledge and answering questions and helping others.  You guys sure are generous with your time and I really appreciate it!

• Thumbs Up 1