Tim Newton Today - Oct 3: Thailand's taxi 'mafias', flooding heads to Bangkok

webfact

39 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

That is patently untrue  -  at least the last sentence.

I always use Grab with no problems. Majority of trips in taxis. I tip most drivers as Im happy with the service.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DonniePeverley said:

Bangkok taxi drivers are really next level corrupt since tourism opened back up again. Total disgrace, not one uses a meter. 

I don't blame them.

The meters are too cheap. They drive an hour for 200 baht. It's a joke.

The meter rate should be doubled.

• Haha 1

40 years of bangkok visits and holidays and never had a problem. Even without meter in town you can get a very good price. They earn their money, breathing that poison and traffic jams all day long !  Now, Phuket is another kettle of fish. Ever since my first long stay in 84 there’s been trouble with them. Even driving drunk as I unfortunately found out on 2 occasions.  In Phuket, they sit on their backsides all day long waiting for a client, wouldn’t it be more sense to have reasonable fixed prices and work a good days wages ? Or is that asking too much. In stead of moving around Phuket visiting all the beautiful beaches , Phuket town, temples, tourists stay on the beach all day instead, or take the local wooden bus to very few locations. No one can set up a proper bus route as the taxis won’t allow it ! One tried, and after half an hour was stopped before Patong hill , the driver pushed on the floor and threatened ! That was the end of that. Another tourist parked in «  their » space with his hire car . ( one poor tourist innocent family man) the taxis attacked him, one with a metal bar ! Was not a pretty site, his family sitting in the car screaming. Needless to say I moved away. I went back for 6 weeks in January to see my old friends, and nothing has changed. A KM long queue of empty taxis. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, proton said:

It's what Thais call them

Applies to the amusing and off-handed vernacular labeling of government, police, local officialdom, etc. as well. 

At least they understand the truer nature and definition of the criminally organised. 

• Like 1