Gov’t extends NHS health coverage for elderly

snoop1130

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

As a  Brit, I have to say it beggars belief its not free for the elderly anyway

So what about us when we get old? Can't they work out a deal for us, not only does the insurance cost a arm and a leg when you are over 70 [ as much as some pensions] if you can find the coverage. I'm not saying 30 baht a day just something reasonable so we can plan for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

So what about us when we get old? Can't they work out a deal for us, not only does the insurance cost a arm and a leg when you are over 70 [ as much as some pensions] if you can find the coverage. I'm not saying 30 baht a day just something reasonable so we can plan for it.

Sounds like you are fairly new to Thailand. I am sure others will elaborate on this comment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Screening for HIV and sexually Transmitted Diseases in the elderly? Surely there might be some more common age related illnesses that they could target.

No , I might cost them money .  If you are totally blind you may get reading glasses if they will work for you 

On 10/4/2022 at 11:24 AM, Aussieroaming said:

Screening for HIV and sexually Transmitted Diseases in the elderly? Surely there might be some more common age related illnesses that they could target.

depends what they class as elderly,  but out here in the sicks there always seems to be some women gossiping to the mother in law about the errant ways of theirs  or others'  husbands many of whom are in their 70's  My father in law  was in the bad books a few years ago  he was 76 (still has do do his own laundry lol)   and his brother in law makes no secret of his mia noy ( who his wife is fully aware of, but blames it all on the existence of a tamarind tree in front of the house, that he won;t   chop down!!)   There's loads of them at it , and their kids , grandkids , and possibly even grand kids are no better lol There is also an oldish woman who is known to arrange "introductions"  for a fee of course   The young generation are obviously going at it bareback evidence being all the bloody kids they pop out, I doubt the oldies are any different after 1/2 bottle of lao khao !  so you might be surprised !   Must be something in the air maybe,  

• Haha 2

On 10/4/2022 at 9:31 AM, vandeventer said:

Health insurance is a massive earner here. I don't think the insurance companies would be too pleased if the Government allowed foreigners to join the 30 Baht scheme (even at a higher price).

On 10/4/2022 at 7:20 AM, brianthainess said:

I thought all Thais only paid 30baht so by saying free do they mean just not pay the 30 baht or are all these tests not covered by the 30 baht fee. :unsure:

The 30 baht fee was scrapped about 15 years ago.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 9:31 AM, vandeventer said:

Expat pensioners, who are not working in Thailand, are allowed to be charged much higher rates on health care, than Thais and Expats working in Thailand.