ISP throttling

colinchaffers

On 10/10/2022 at 7:43 PM, colinchaffers said:

Many thanks, I have Fibre service, with wifi and ethernet (are they treated differently?)  

No - Same, but depending upon your router / switch / wifi AP you might notice faster speeds over ethernet.

I guess @digbeth was referring to AIS mobile internet.

• Like 1

I have had 3bb multiple times in different condos, in my experience they throttle a lot on there vdsl but not on fiber at all. a vpn will help mitigate the throttling if you connect to a server close to Thailand,  like Singapore

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 5:56 PM, John8 said:

I have had 3bb multiple times in different condos, in my experience they throttle a lot on there vdsl but not on fiber at all. a vpn will help mitigate the throttling if you connect to a server close to Thailand,  like Singapore

Not here at my location in Pattaya. I don't have throttling with 3BB VDSL. Maybe it goes from about 60 Mbps to 40 Mbps in the evening. But is it active throttling or simply more users and therefore more Internet traffic?

But that doesn't change my internet experience.  It's only when it goes to 20-30 Mbps that 4K videos at 2160p start buffering. 1440p is still possible. But with VDSL I never had this problem. With 4G LTE I had it in the evening. But again - is it active throttling or simply too much traffic at certain times and at certain locations? I don't know. 

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Not here at my location in Pattaya. I don't have throttling with 3BB VDSL. Maybe it goes from about 60 Mbps to 40 Mbps in the evening. But is it active throttling or simply more users and therefore more Internet traffic?

But that doesn't change my internet experience.  It's only when it goes to 20-30 Mbps that 4K videos at 2160p start buffering. 1440p is still possible. But with VDSL I never had this problem. With 4G LTE I had it in the evening. But again - is it active throttling or simply too much traffic at certain times and at certain locations? I don't know. 

Yes - this is what 3BB told me a long while back when I was on a copper line. They claimed, they don't throttle traffic, however you may notice slowdown at peak times due to demand, I don't think its so relevant now with FTTH.

like many other isp's they throttle the connection during peek hours, but 3bb has done it a lot on my connections, and there are not many options to choose from if you want internet in Thailand (I live in Pattaya). They don't  reduce the overall connection speed but on specific ports only, especially port 80 where most of the internet traffic runs through, web browsing..etc, so it depends on what you do on the internet.

@recom273 you say they don't throttle and then say you sometimes go from 60 mbps to 20? how is a 2/3 reduction of your connection speed not throttling?

1 hour ago, John8 said:

like many other isp's they throttle the connection during peek hours, but 3bb has done it a lot on my connections, and there are not many options to choose from if you want internet in Thailand (I live in Pattaya). They don't  reduce the overall connection speed but on specific ports only, especially port 80 where most of the internet traffic runs through, web browsing..etc, so it depends on what you do on the internet.

@recom273 you say they don't throttle and then say you sometimes go from 60 mbps to 20? how is a 2/3 reduction of your connection speed not throttling?

I didn't say that they don't throttle .. read the post and the original by @Mickeymaus

What package are you on? I believe that the cheaper packages may have a some form of traffic shaping - I certainly don't experience any slowdown at certain times of the day on 1gb up and down.

10 years ago on a copper line between 6.00 and 9.00 pm, yes - I used to pay for the premier package with a lower contention ratio, but they still throttled, and were quite open about it. I could pay for a lease line @ 5000B/month, if I recall correctly.

Do you ever call the ISP team at 3BB and get a definitive answer?

Edited by recom273

On 10/15/2022 at 12:29 PM, recom273 said:

I didn't say that they don't throttle .. read the post and the original by @Mickeymaus

What package are you on? I believe that the cheaper packages may have a some form of traffic shaping - I certainly don't experience any slowdown at certain times of the day on 1gb up and down.

10 years ago on a copper line between 6.00 and 9.00 pm, yes - I used to pay for the premier package with a lower contention ratio, but they still throttled, and were quite open about it. I could pay for a lease line @ 5000B/month, if I recall correctly.

Do you ever call the ISP team at 3BB and get a definitive answer?

Traffic shaping would probably something they use, especially against peer-to-peer.

The only thing I can get where I live now is vdsl and I have a 50/20.

Calling support is like calling a parrot, a lady that follows a check list script and do not veer out of it no matter what you ask, I tried it but for a different reason, and I am very sure they are not going to remove the practice of traffic shaping if someone calls em and demands em to stop using it.

What 'team' are you talking about? is there another number I can call other then support? I would love to know because if I have any problems in the future with my internet I would have a better option than there "support"

1 hour ago, John8 said:

Traffic shaping would probably something they use, especially against peer-to-peer.

The only thing I can get where I live now is vdsl and I have a 50/20.

Calling support is like calling a parrot, a lady that follows a check list script and do not veer out of it no matter what you ask, I tried it but for a different reason, and I am very sure they are not going to remove the practice of traffic shaping if someone calls em and demands em to stop using it.

What 'team' are you talking about? is there another number I can call other then support? I would love to know because if I have any problems in the future with my internet I would have a better option than there "support"

If you need to ask 3BB about international routing, ping times, port questions, etc you can call the helpline and requests a callback from the ISP Team. There is one guy who speaks English and is really helpful. He usually calls back within the day.

• Like 1