Certificate of residence needed for tourist who wants to sell their car (Pattaya)

carbuyer

Pattaya may be different I suppose, but I’ve never needed a Certificate of Residence to sell my car. 

Only ever needed... Copy of Passport ID page and Copy of Visa stamp. 

The CoR is required if registering the car in your name... (not when ‘de-registering' - your address is irrelevant at that point). 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Falcon said:

Fail to see how a tourist owns a car here but this is one of the usual questions asked here so no different from any others I suppose.

Extremely simple - all thats needed to own a car, or more accurately have a car registered in your name is a Certificate of Residence.... 

The CoR is available from ‘some’ Immigration offices on a Tourist Visa (or visa exempt).

The Affirmation of Residence letter is available from ‘some’ embassies on a Tourist Visa (or visa exempt). 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 6:20 PM, Falcon said:

Fail to see how a tourist owns a car here but this is one of the usual questions asked here so no different from any others I suppose.

They were previously here on a longer term visa, and bought a car.
Then they went back to Korea during covid. The car stayed in Thailand.
They have just arrived back in Thailand, on a tourist visa, and want to sell the car.

We got it sorted in the end, they went through VIPVisa in Jomtien, charge of 900 baht. Worth it for them, less hassle.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2022 at 7:01 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Pattaya may be different I suppose, but I’ve never needed a Certificate of Residence to sell my car. 

Only ever needed... Copy of Passport ID page and Copy of Visa stamp. 

The CoR is required if registering the car in your name... (not when ‘de-registering' - your address is irrelevant at that point). 

We called ahead to Chon Buri DLT, they insisted it would be needed.
When we arrived, indeed they wanted scans of sellers certificate of residence.
Typical Thailand I suppose, it varies depending on your local office and/or officers

I don't recall ever needing a residence certificate for any of my vehicle purchases or sales but having said that, I have always been here as a worker.

Think I had to give an employment letter from my company and copy of work permit/visa etc. 

Obviously a 'tourist' couldn't provide these, which might be why the residence certificate is being requested in this case ?  

Or it might just be Thai officialdom at work again...