Taking my thai phone to Europe.

jack71

I have all my banking apps on my thai phone and need access to Line etc when I fly to Europe. 

I checked out dtac app on my phone and they offer dtac international roaming packages. Should I be buying one of these?

Or should I be just connecting to wifi where ever I stay etc. 

What exactly does the Airplane mode mean? Do I turn that on to avoid local dtac charges?

Please educate me on this subject

thanks

• Like 1

Airplane mode stops your phone connecting to a network, is designed to be used on Airplanes.

You need to activate "roaming" you dont need to buy anything, unless you intend on using the internet or making calls on that sim whilst travelling.

• Like 1

Your phone should work on wifi wherever you are.....

If you need to use your DTAC for actual phone calls from your Thai number then you need the DTAC roaming....

When in the US I just get a pay as you go phone for US calls & use my Thai phone with wifi....

The go phone can work as a hot spot when needed.....

You may need to receive your OTP when Banking or doing anything online (mBanking etc)... 

You can set your phone to WiFi calling - on...  then while in ‘Flight mode’ you can still receive calls and SMS messages to your number over WiFi (you need to keep the Sim in the phone for this).

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, jack71 said:

What exactly does the Airplane mode mean? Do I turn that on to avoid local dtac charges?

Airplane mode turns of the cellular part of the phone so that it does not receive or send any data via the conventional cell networks - thus you’ll not recieve any calls over a cell network and not be able to send any. You’ll not receive any conventional text message. 

In Airplane mode you can still use WiFi and have WiFi calling, use Line Messenger, WhatsApp Messenger for calling etc (to other Line or WhatsApp accounts) or use FaceTime (if using an iPhone).... 

• Like 2

The DTAC data roaming packages have worked well for me in the US and various European and Asian countries, and the prices are reasonable - the only downside compared to getting a new sim at your destination is that you won't have a local phone number. 

For SMS and voice calls, download and set up the DTAC Call app, then switch it from "SIM Card" to "DTAC Call" (under the "Manage Numbers" tab) when you leave Thailand - you can then make and receive Thai calls and texts at no extra charge. That does require you to be connected to the internet, but if you're willing to wait until you're on WiFi, you should have no problems. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.dtac.wificalling

I recently visited the UK and needed my Thai SIM to receive OTPs etc. I also needed a UK SIM for Internet. So I took two phones - one with my Thai SIM card and one for a UK SIM card that I bought. It was too much hassle...much easier to by a DTAC international roaming package (see picture). I am now in Australia and am using my my Thai SIM card via an international roaming package.

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 13.01.06.png

• Thanks 1

I personally would not do banking on public WiFi.  Since the security of it is debatable.  I would consider getting a VPN  for doing your personal transactions. 

Edited by swm59nj

53 minutes ago, thaiowl said:

I recently visited the UK and needed my Thai SIM to receive OTPs etc. I also needed a UK SIM for Internet. So I took two phones - one with my Thai SIM card and one for a UK SIM card that I bought. It was too much hassle...much easier to by a DTAC international roaming package (see picture). I am now in Australia and am using my my Thai SIM card via an international roaming package.

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 13.01.06.png

thanks for the info. So if I buy the package now and then arrive abroad and turn on my phone does it automatically connect to that package or do I have to activate it somehow?

Also, do I put the phone in airplane mode or not?

If I turn on airplane mode and connect to the hotel wifi does it mean that Im not using the above package that I bought off dtac?

8 minutes ago, jack71 said:

Not if you want to use data,

9 minutes ago, jack71 said:

If I turn on airplane mode and connect to the hotel wifi does it mean that Im not using the above package that I bought off dtac?

Yes

10 minutes ago, jack71 said:

thanks for the info. So if I buy the package now and then arrive abroad and turn on my phone does it automatically connect to that package or do I have to activate it somehow?

Confirm with DTAC phone help

Airplane mode simply turns off your phone without powering it off.

Buy the Interntional Data package, but use wifi where available and data when not.

If you don't buy an international package then turn off "Data Roaming" in setting to avoid a massive bill

1 hour ago, jack71 said:

I don't know about DTAC, but on my AIS phone, when I buy a roaming package, I can choose the start time.  it will be in Thai time.

So I normally get it to start the same time my plane is due to land. So if I landed UK at midday, accounting for time difference I would choose 5am Thai time.

You may have to switch your phone off, then on again to activate any roaming package, but if you have the DTAC app, I am pretty sure you can check it there.

Mine normally starts automatically.

Bear in mind you can use apps such as WhatsApp, FaceTime, Telegram and Skype  to make free calls over wifi to keep costs down. Though they will use data if not on wifi.

Edited by phetphet

Just buy a cheap local sim card at your destination. You can access your Thai banking apps from any wifi and any local data package you may buy. No need to buy any DTAC roaming packages or activate roaming, its as simple as that, ignore advice advising you otherwise, I do this all the time

if you have wifi calling on your phone or download the 'dtac call' app, and wifi access in Europe, you can avoid roaming charge and still receive and call Thailand as if you're still local in Thailand

The Dtac call app will work over non-wifi mobile internet too, so you can get a data roaming package and make all  your calls through the app

If you expect to have wifi at all your stay, and you don't need data or access Thai sms, calls while on the move, just get the Dtac Call app or setup wifi calling on your phone with no need to buy roaming package 

The "Dtac Call' will also work with data sim from local carrier in Europe, 

so if you can get a cheaper data plan locally, put that sim in your phone and still make/receives calls and sms from Thailand on the Dtac Call app

But make sure to set up the Dtac Call app while still in Thailand, it'd need to receive sms on your sim to confirm ownership of your number 

4 hours ago, jack71 said:

So if I buy the package now and then arrive abroad and turn on my phone does it automatically connect to that package or do I have to activate it somehow?

The time period and service for a DTAC roaming package start from the moment that your phone first connects to a partner cellular carrier in your destination country. The connection should be automatic, but that's not always the case - sometimes the package has trouble getting onto the foreign network, and you'll get a message telling you to select the appropriate carrier manually. It works in the end, though. 

Several of the replies on this thread seem to be wrong! (EG "...turn on airplane mode and connect to the hotel wifi...)

That wouldn't be possible because Airplane mode disables both Phone AND WiFi (AND Bluetooth)

See  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane_mode and just checked for myself on 2 Android devices.

(See the bit about " pseudo-airplane mode" in the link)

You CAN disable the phone and leave WiFi running, (tap highlighted icon) but that's not strictly Airplane Mode

image.jpeg.dd91fec2fbec3b9903c5a57d55be0c76.jpeg

Edited by VBF
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, VBF said:

That wouldn't be possible because Airplane mode disables both Phone AND WiFi (AND Bluetooth)

You have incomplete and wrong information you are correct that airplane mode does stop cellular data connections.
You are correct that airplane mode does stop Wi-Fi.

Airplane mode does not stop Bluetooth so you are wrong (at least for the largest single maker of devices)

How do you think that users can connect to the planes data services. 

As an experiment I enabled airplane mode. As you correctly state data and Wi-Fi are disabled Bluetooth is not disabled

448BC1D1-44F8-46C4-BBBC-E08EE18F8088.thumb.jpeg.c30411fa180660003b8b291cdede8bcc.jpeg

I then connected to my hotspot, this connected via Bluetooth and enabled a hitherto unsurfaced wireless Ethernet via Bluetooth interface

CB854F2F-CD19-4820-AC98-D939243D97B7.thumb.jpeg.6d7b961037b8832b06a6c35e40d24e35.jpeg

So why you think that Bluetooth is automatically disabled I don’t know, it’s certainly possible that Android devices may do that, but the largest single supplier of devices (Apple) does not.

It is extremely likely that other Android devices do not disable BT or lie to you, as the need to connect to airplane data services easily will mandate that BT is switched on in AIRPLANE mode.

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You have incomplete and wrong information you are correct that airplane mode does stop cellular data connections.
You are correct that airplane mode does stop Wi-Fi.

Airplane mode does not stop Bluetooth so you are wrong (at least for the largest single maker of devices)

How do you think that users can connect to the planes data services. 

As an experiment I enabled airplane mode. As you correctly state data and Wi-Fi are disabled Bluetooth is not disabled

448BC1D1-44F8-46C4-BBBC-E08EE18F8088.thumb.jpeg.c30411fa180660003b8b291cdede8bcc.jpeg

I then connected to my hotspot, this connected via Bluetooth and enabled a hitherto unsurfaced wireless Ethernet via Bluetooth interface

CB854F2F-CD19-4820-AC98-D939243D97B7.thumb.jpeg.6d7b961037b8832b06a6c35e40d24e35.jpeg

So why you think that Bluetooth is automatically disabled I don’t know, it’s certainly possible that Android devices may do that, but the largest single supplier of devices (Apple) does not.

It is extremely likely that other Android devices do not disable BT or lie to you, as the need to connect to airplane data services easily will mandate that BT is switched on in AIRPLANE mode.

You are PARTIALLY INCORRECT  regarding what Airplane mode is and does by design..

I have  2 Android devices in front of me - a standard Nokia 6.1 and a tablet, both running standard Android 10.

When I switch to Airplane mode on either of them, WiFi, Bluetooth and Phone (cellular) connectivity are all disabled.

Please read my link in my earlier post...that is the whole point of Airplane mode - additionally read the first paragraph of https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-is-airplane-mode/ particularly "It’s designed to turn off all the Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, cellular, and data connections"

However the paragraph "Using Bluetooth and Wi-Fi" tells you how to leave Airplane mode on and still use Bluetooth.

But in my original post I did say "You CAN disable the phone and leave WiFi running, (tap highlighted icon) but that's not strictly Airplane Mode"

Hence why I say you're PARTIALLY INCORRECT.

Edited by VBF

17 minutes ago, VBF said:

What Apple does, I don't actually know - I never use any of their devices but I cannot imagine they don't conform to the standard.

And the standard you speak of is where?

While you may not have information about apple devices, I can assure you that none of the recent devices I have switch off Bluetooth when put into airplane mode. I haven’t checked my legacy devices I will add information as and when I get it.

As I only have a single Android device and I’m not sure where it is, I can only speculate in the same way as you are speculating about apple products. Your speculation is however  demonstrably incorrect as my pictures prove. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

And the standard you speak of is where?

While you may not have information about apple devices, I can assure you that none of the recent devices I have switch off Bluetooth when put into airplane mode. 

As I only have a single Android device and I’m not sure where it is, I can only speculate in the same way as you are speculating about apple products. Your speculation is however  demonstrably incorrect as my pictures prove. 

The standard is implied in the links i posted in both my posts if you take the trouble to read carefully; the standard can be summarised as, "Airplane Mode turns off ALL communications by default / design."

In both my posts, i acknowledged that there are workarounds to allow the use of BT & WiFi in Airplane mode. Hence my statement that you're PARTIALLY incorrect as opposed to completely wrong.

Edited by VBF

48 minutes ago, VBF said:

You are PARTIALLY INCORRECT  regarding what Airplane mode is and does by design..

I have  2 Android devices in front of me - a standard Nokia 6.1 and a tablet, both running standard Android 10.

When I switch to Airplane mode on either of them, WiFi, Bluetooth and Phone (cellular) connectivity are all disabled.

Please read my link in my earlier post...that is the whole point of Airplane mode - additionally read the first paragraph of https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-is-airplane-mode/ particularly "It’s designed to turn off all the Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, cellular, and data connections"

However the paragraph "Using Bluetooth and Wi-Fi" tells you how to leave Airplane mode on and still use Bluetooth.

But in my original post I did say "You CAN disable the phone and leave WiFi running, (tap highlighted icon) but that's not strictly Airplane Mode"

Hence why I say you're PARTIALLY INCORRECT.

To quote your linked article....

[Thankfully, you can turn Bluetooth and Wi-Fi back on without exiting Airplane Mode. To do so, tap the relevant icon in your notification shade by swiping down from the top on an Android device or swiping up from the bottom to access the Control Center on an iOS device.]

Airplane mode is ultimately the disabling of the phones capacity to connect to a  cell  network.

The debate it pretty moot an pointless - The Op can use his phone in Airplane mode and use WiFi for calls etc... (WiFi calling, WhatsApp, Line etc)...  

Everyone knows this and arguing the semantics of ‘Airplane mode’ is just a little bit silly particularly when the first paragraph in the article is contradicted later on.... 

37 minutes ago, VBF said:

The standard is in the links i posted in both my posts if you take the trouble to read carefully; the standard can be summarised as, "Airplane Mode turns off ALL communications by default / design."

In both my posts, i acknowledged that there are workarounds to allow the use of BT & WiFi in Airplane mode. Hence my statement that you're PARTIALLY incorrect as opposed to completely wrong.

you have linked to a non authoritative sources and the data are incorrect 

Your links do not link to the actual FAA RTCA rules that are discussed  In FO 13010 DATE: 10/28/13

these state that cellular transmitters must be off  that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are not limited unless the airline has restrictions 

window says

Note: Airplane mode retains the settings you used last time. When you turn on airplane mode, Windows remembers if you had Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on last time, and keeps that setting so your Wi-Fi or Bluetooth will be on again.

The actual regulations are in FCC regulations 47 CFR 22.925  and only limit 

Cellular telephones installed in or carried aboard airplanes, balloons or any other type of aircraft must not be operated while such aircraft are airborne

Nothing about Wi-Fi or Bluetooth 

so you really should understand what good research actually is rather than going by faulty information.

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

To quote your linked article....

[Thankfully, you can turn Bluetooth and Wi-Fi back on without exiting Airplane Mode. To do so, tap the relevant icon in your notification shade by swiping down from the top on an Android device or swiping up from the bottom to access the Control Center on an iOS device.]

Airplane mode is ultimately the disabling of the phones capacity to connect to a  cell  network.

The debate it pretty moot an pointless - The Op can use his phone in Airplane mode and use WiFi for calls etc... (WiFi calling, WhatsApp, Line etc)...  

Everyone knows this and arguing the semantics of ‘Airplane mode’ is just a little bit silly particularly when the first paragraph in the article is contradicted later on.... 

You're probably right - the original idea of Airplane mode has been superseded by the various ways of circumventing it (which may or not have been possible in earlier versions of Android)

Basically, though, all i was saying to @sometimewoodworker is that, by default, when it's on, all comms is deactivated - I didn't think to look at FAA RTCA site but simply activated Airplane mode on my 2 standard devices upon which I've never had occasion to actually use Airplane mode "in anger". 

For practical purposes both he and @richard_smith237 are quite correct - Richard being the more succinct of the two ????

Edited by VBF

On 10/4/2022 at 8:51 PM, jack71 said:

I checked out dtac app on my phone and they offer dtac international roaming packages. Should I be buying one of these?

Or should I be just connecting to wifi where ever I stay etc. 

I use my Thai phone in Europe.

Connecting to Wifi, you can use Internet and apps without a data subscription.

If you need data, you need to buy a package, like the mentioned one.