Good seeds/strains for outdoor grow in southern TH at sea level besides Thai strains

Has anyone had success growing outdoors with something besides Thai sativa strains?  I bought some seeds from a shoppee seller a couple months ago and the plants ended up budding after 3 weeks of growing.  I also bought some Bruce Banner seeds and they seem to be doing OK, but after a couple months they are maybe 90 cm high.

Any strains or seed bank recommendations for an outdoor warm humid climate?

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 12:49 PM, BritManToo said:

The Thai seeds seem to do fine outside.

"The western seeds get 'leaf burn' and curl up in the hot sun."

So I've got western plants growing inside, and Thai plants growing outside.

Shade Cloth

• Like 1

My Blue Dream hybrid was doing OK until we had about 5 days of solid rain. When the sun finally did come out, I happened to have it in full midday sun. It burned a few leaves quite badly which still have white spots a holes. I have since made a makeshift screen for it. The shading is only lightly clipped on so if the wind catches it, it will just pop off rather than take off, hopefully. Only cost me 100 Baht anyway.

For the first 2 months I brought in indoors under the kitchen light in the evening to stop it from flowering. Maybe I should have left it longer. Turns out it's a hermie too, maybe from the stress.

IMG_20221008_092440436.thumb.jpg.e31149a02af31df04fb76a4939175e22.jpgIMG_20221008_092447740.thumb.jpg.2b998b884a4b08dd6e44d2c3ecbadf86.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 12:34 PM, wombat said:

"budding after 3 weeks of growing"  

Curious asks...what is wrong with that?

Heads after 3 weeks would be my holy grail.

The only issue with this is the yield is very small.  Out of 4 plants, the biggest yield was 33 grams wet, now it's 10 grams after drying.  Better than nothing though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 12:34 PM, wombat said:

"budding after 3 weeks of growing"  

Curious asks...what is wrong with that?

The problem is one that I've just realised for myself. I just bought two small clones which i was thinking about planting out, then my friend reminded me that it's 12/12 sunlight here so the plants will start flowering as soon as they're mature enough, which will give a very low yield. 

48 minutes ago, SenorTashi said:

The problem is one that I've just realised for myself. I just bought two small clones which i was thinking about planting out, then my friend reminded me that it's 12/12 sunlight here so the plants will start flowering as soon as they're mature enough, which will give a very low yield. 

My outside plants have just started flowering and they're 8ft tall.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, SenorTashi said:

Are they sativa dominant? Did you use lights?  

Everything I grow is started in a tent, then planted outside at about 2ft tall.

Some of my indoor clones have started flowering at 6 inches tall, some haven't (16hrs light).

It's all a bit random IMHO.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

It's all a bit random

I see. I've got a lot going on at the moment but I need to get some plants growing asap.

Do you give them any protection from bugs outdoors? I've seen thrips and various other beasties on plants here. I was thinking a net around them with possibly a fan on steamy windless days. Did you mean a grow tent indoors with 16-18 hours light?  

On 10/6/2022 at 7:14 AM, bamnutsak said:

I'd search on the wider internet for options on tropical/equatorial strains.

example: https://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/equatorial-cannabis-varieties/

The dual challenges of the daylight cycle and rain/humidity, usually call for Sativa strains which are generally tall, with a loose airy structure, with less dense buds.

They grow good cannabis in Jamaica, Columbia, Mexico, Hawaii even Indonesia. So it is possible.

You could experiement with techniques like topping/FIM and high/low-stress training (HST/LST). Obviously too late for these but maybe try on future grows?

I've seen some amazing photos of local outdoor grows, so it can be done.

thl-outdoorcannabis.jpg

sensiseeds say no can ship to Thailan

12 hours ago, SenorTashi said:

I see. I've got a lot going on at the moment but I need to get some plants growing asap.

Do you give them any protection from bugs outdoors? I've seen thrips and various other beasties on plants here. I was thinking a net around them with possibly a fan on steamy windless days. Did you mean a grow tent indoors with 16-18 hours light?  

2 years back I tried a couple of plants outside and they were covered in bugs.

This year I've got loads outside, and nothing at all wants to eat them apart from slugs/snails.

So I've cut a ring of plastic from a coke bottle to shield the base of the plants, and sprinkled Vermiculite around so they don't like sliding around.

Seems to work.

No idea if I'll get anything worth smoking, this is my first outdoor grow in soil.

My indoors grow tent is just to get seeds/clones ready for planting outside.

I get my western seeds from Attitude Seedbank in the UK, 10 pounds delivery to Thailand in a plain Jiffy bag, takes about 10 days to get them.

This is a small (2ft) Cheeselicious from them, it's been outside in a pot (out of direct sun) for a week.

IMG_20221017_065312.jpg

And this was a 30bht plant from my local market, out in full sun, about 8ft tall and just flowering.

IMG_20221017_065431.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

So I've cut a ring of plastic from a coke bottle to shield the base

Have you got a pic of that? I had so much trouble with slugs in France. Sometimes they'd slice through the stalk of a plant and kill the whole thing. 

Sativas obviously know what they're doing because they evolved here. I think that's the secret. If a plant is sativa dominant, they should grow ok.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I get my western seeds from Attitude Seedbank in the UK, 10 pounds delivery to Thailand in a plain Jiffy bag, takes about 10 days to get them.

My own seed collection is on it's way from England (hopefully) and my friend is posting some of his from the USA. 

4 minutes ago, SenorTashi said:

Have you got a pic of that? I had so much trouble with slugs in France. Sometimes they'd slice through the stalk of a plant and kill the whole thing. 

Sativas obviously know what they're doing because they evolved here. I think that's the secret. If a plant is sativa dominant, they should grow ok.

Vermiculite sprinkled inside and outside the plastic.

IMG_20221017_065450.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1