Chiang Mai - Xmas 2022

Paul Catton

I have been an Expatriate from the UK since 1977 when aged 14.. I spent 6 years in Saudi Arabia within my formative years, before  becoming a permanent resident of NZ, via Marriage in 1983.

Neither Opal.being a Thai / NZ citizen (second marriage) and I have guaranteed a pension from NZ, yet we are investigating possibilities.

Liquidating our NZ assets would give THB 20.000.000 spending money to advance to the economy before our demise. 

I am 60, Opal is 57.. "Khun Manop" ( High Wai ) Opal's Father, a dignitary, wants me to take over the family holdings down in Amphur Hot. I would take it up tomorrow. Not a monger since the early 1980"s, blasted it out respectably in my teenage years.

Back in the day, expatriates in Saudi Arabia, looked after each other regardless of origin.

Working alongside the US Military, Pork roasts were readily available for banqueting if connected,

Exposure to a workforce being Filipinos and Thais, with representation from South Korea.

Local hires were from Yemen, Lebanon, Pakistan and India.

UK is not my home, NZ still seems transient to me although I have roots.

I have throughout the decades always been drawn back to Thailand for better or worse.

Also a member of the Chiang Mai Expat Club, however don't believe the breakfast will be available for our next visit. 

@NancyL@roo860@stament@CMKiwi@Chiangmai and many others, we will be staying in the Duangtawan Hotel over Xmas, pop by and enjoy our hospitality.

Edited by Paul Catton
Spacing

The CEC Friday breakfast have been rather transient for the past several months.  Looks like it's back to Duke's at Ruamchok.  Not as convenient or scenic as Rivermarket, but better than the other places that CEC tried.  First and third Friday morning of the month.  Maybe you'll be here during those times.

Be sure to subscribe to the CEC newsletter if you aren't already, because Duke's Ruamchok only seats 70 people, so they want advance reservations for the breakfasts.  Not like Rivermarket, sadly, where they could handle twice that number.  

1 hour ago, stament said:

@Paul CattonGood to hear from you Paul. We are still in CM and will be here most of December apart from a few days -Hua Hin trip planned. Be good to see you and Opal.

Will you be moving here permanently in December?

Be great to see you and family again.

We will also be in Hua Hin after the initial first two nights in Bangkok, before flying up to Chiang Mai for "Xmas and New Year".

Regrettably, Opal doesn't want to relocate back to Thailand just yet, I would have parked myself there a decade ago, tending the family lands down in "Hot". (Ooops, work permit brigade will be up in arms). Late 2023, will have to draw the line in the sand, else it might never happen. 

19 hours ago, NancyL said:

The CEC Friday breakfast have been rather transient for the past several months.  Looks like it's back to Duke's at Ruamchok.  Not as convenient or scenic as Rivermarket, but better than the other places that CEC tried.  First and third Friday morning of the month.  Maybe you'll be here during those times.

Be sure to subscribe to the CEC newsletter if you aren't already, because Duke's Ruamchok only seats 70 people, so they want advance reservations for the breakfasts.  Not like Rivermarket, sadly, where they could handle twice that number.  

Hi Nancy, hope all well with you and Mr L, glad to hear the cat hasn't been held to ransom of late. Poster of the Year seems to have fallen away.

Thanks for the update regarding CEC. Thought it might be the case after the Covid-19 epidemic. I do check the"Chiang Mai Expats Club", CEC website from time to time.

Our Itinerary has us arriving on the third Friday of December in the afternoon and leaving for Vietnam very early on the first Friday of January, so Duangtawan breakfasting will have to suffice.

On 10/6/2022 at 7:09 PM, Gweiloman said:

You are inviting everyone to come for free food and booze? You’re a better man than I Gunga Din ????

Last time Opal and I were back in Thailand, prior to the Covid 19 pandemic, an invitation was sent out to have a meet and greet of the "Chiang Mai Forum Members" at the "No.1 Bar".

Hospitality is what a person reads into it. A couple of drinks, finger food platters with replenishment upon In-House consumption.

"Anonymity" for freebies is not an option, If @Gweiloman wants to be a part of of an expatriate community. I will then know you are.

My focus is the well being of the ex-pat community that I am currently unable to attain.

On 10/6/2022 at 11:23 PM, NancyL said:

"Air Asia"  have rescheduled our flights to Vietnam from Chiang Mai , due to "Operations" the flight is scheduled a day later.,

Now, being a day later, Opal and I will be able to attend the CEC breakfast on the the first Friday for January.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 5:19 PM, stament said:

@Paul CattonGood to hear from you Paul. We are still in CM and will be here most of December apart from a few days -Hua Hin trip planned. Be good to see you and Opal.

Will you be moving here permanently in December?

Update:"Mr Stament with family" have bookings for the same flight back to Chiang Ma from Hua Hini. 

Perhaps need to start a new thread. "Xmas day 2022, New Year 2023", What are our options in Chiang Mai? The big name hotels used to advertise special functions for both "25th December' and the 31st of December. There used to be threads on trying to obtain a Turkey for Xmas from the major supermarkets, Which restaurants put on the best traditional Xmas dinner for transients like Opal an Myself. etc.........

21 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Perhaps need to start a new thread. "Xmas day 2022, New Year 2023", What are our options in Chiang Mai? The big name hotels used to advertise special functions for both "25th December' and the 31st of December. There used to be threads on trying to obtain a Turkey for Xmas from the major supermarkets, Which restaurants put on the best traditional Xmas dinner for transients like Opal an Myself. etc.........

I thoroughly recommend the CEC Christmas Meal. The first time we went to the Meridien but 3 years ago pre covid we went to the Le Crystal restaurant.

Edited by stament
  • Thanks 1

@stamentThanks for the recommendation regarding the previous CEC - Christmas Meal, nothing to date posted on the website CEC Calendar. Just a "General Meeting" at the Duangtawan on 24th December where we will be in residence.

Xmas Lunch/Dinner. Any other recommendations are most welcome, inclusive of Turkey Rolls with Cranberry Sauce being served at 7/11's

New Years Eve. Should Opal and I be able to remain awake until the striking of midnight, what venues can you recommend as a place to see in the New Year 2023. 

Maya was a bit of non event, quite a few years ago, when I was last in Chiang Mai for a New Year.

Likewise, Phuket City was a similar non-experience. 

Edited by Paul Catton
spelling