PSA value of 11, but I have a UTI.

simon43

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Penicillin is deadly to some people.

Just because something doesn't work for you is no reason for everyone to avoid it.

He was not talking about allergy but about documented adverse effects that are serious enough - and common enough - that the US FDA added a "black box" warning.  Most patients are fine with it but more than a few suffer serious adverse effects. Especially older patients and people on the drug for prolonged periods.

Most Thai doctors seem not to have gotten the memo and continue to prescribe these like candy (same is true of the COX-2 inhibitors).

It is indeed sometimes necessary to use this class of drugs but should be done with special caution.

"Although most patients do not have problems, the FDA told doctors to consider the benefits and risks for each patient before prescribing a fluoroquinolone"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2483892/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Easily available at most pharmacies and recommended for UTIs.

Moved from Cipro 500 @100bht to Norfloxstar 400 @80bht.

STDs and UTIs are the same thing IMHO.

Doxycycline worked for me when Azithromycin and ceftriaxone failed. Less than 100 baht for a weeks worth

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Update:  I had my consultation with Dr Viroj at Bumrungrad today.  Despite a recent negative DRE at another well-known private hospital in 'Bangkok', Dr Viroj was able to feel a small growth inside my prostate.  That's encouraging (because with my high PSA I have already assumed that there is a growth..).  Next step is an MRI to more accurately locate that growth and then decide how to 'kill' the blighter.

Expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed. I am not a medical professional, but I don't think feeling a small growth inside your prostate always means that it is cancer or something that needs to be killed. 

If after an MRI and a biopsy you find that you really have cancer it may not be a high Gleason score and may only need active surveillance and having cancer is not a sentence as I have found out.

Anyway, thank for sharing and Good Luck!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Update:  I had my consultation with Dr Viroj at Bumrungrad today.  Despite a recent negative DRE at another well-known private hospital in 'Bangkok', Dr Viroj was able to feel a small growth inside my prostate.  That's encouraging (because with my high PSA I have already assumed that there is a growth..).  Next step is an MRI to more accurately locate that growth and then decide how to 'kill' the blighter.

Not sure if this will be of use, but "Brachytherapy" has been used to good effect in the prostate. ATB.

On 10/9/2022 at 7:57 AM, lopburi3 said:

Be pro active with that as could be serious (was for me) - perhaps ultrasound to examine bladder.  Mine was also after exercise but caused by cancer in bladder (which with earlier detection might have saved me the bladder etc).  

Quit the exercise then!   555

29 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Not sure if this will be of use, but "Brachytherapy" has been used to good effect in the prostate. ATB.

Yes, I have been considering all options.  TBH, because of my BPH, which reduces my pee stream to a dribble (if I'm lucky), I'd rather have my prostate removed, thus solving both the BPH and cancer problems.  I'm aware of the effects of having no prostate (ED and temporary incontinence), but my wedding tackle has all but rusted up years ago through lack of use......

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Yes, I have been considering all options.  TBH, because of my BPH, which reduces my pee stream to a dribble (if I'm lucky), I'd rather have my prostate removed, thus solving both the BPH and cancer problems.  I'm aware of the effects of having no prostate (ED and temporary incontinence), but my wedding tackle has all but rusted up years ago through lack of use......

Well Simon, you're a braver man than me (Gunga din!).

Although having said that, if I were to have a prostate removal, I would certainly opt for the Da Vinci robotic surgery machine as it is supposed to be the ultimate in "nerve sparing" surgery, which should mean that erectile dysfunction and incontinence are a thing of the past, however that all depends upon how widespread the cancer is and how good the operator is!

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01037-w

8 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well Simon, you're a braver man than me (Gunga din!).

Although having said that, if I were to have a prostate removal, I would certainly opt for the Da Vinci robotic surgery machine as it is supposed to be the ultimate in "nerve sparing" surgery, which should mean that erectile dysfunction and incontinence are a thing of the past, however that all depends upon how widespread the cancer is and how good the operator is!

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01037-w

Yes, the multi-armed robot would be used in my case ????

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm aware of the effects of having no prostate (ED and temporary incontinence), but my wedding tackle has all but rusted up years ago through lack of use......

"I'm aware of the effects of having no prostate (ED and temporary incontinence)..."

I thought it is ED and temporary or permanent incontinence.

28 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"I'm aware of the effects of having no prostate (ED and temporary incontinence)..."

I thought it is ED and temporary or permanent incontinence.

From what I have read (many citations), the ED and incontinence can be temporary.  It seems to depend on your own level of health and fitness.  I consider myself fit and healthy for my age (63 years old, 66Kg 50 bpm resting heart rate).  The ED makes no difference to me - I went off sex after my 3rd divorce.. The effects of urinary incontinence on your life will depend on your own circumstances.  I live alone and teach online, I can't see a big deal about this TBH.  Of course YMMV ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

[quote]

If after an MRI and a biopsy you find that you really have cancer it may not be a high Gleason score and may only need active surveillance and having cancer is not a sentence as I have found out.

[/quote]

Active surveillance is probably not an option because my PSA was high (6) but stable at that number for the past 10 years (high value maybe due to my enlarged prostate - BPH).  But now my PSA number has 'taken off', rising from 11.2 some 8 weeks ago to 14.5 last week. So it's not going in a good direction ????

By the way, I wanted to comment on the excellent service provided so far by Dr Viroj and the international insurance department at Bumrungrad Hospital.  Although I have an excellent 'expat' insurance policy, I was very concerned that I would either be required to pay 'up-front' for the major costs and claim back later, or I would have to do that for all the initial investigation tests (MRI, biopsy etc).  I explained to their insurance department that my parlous financial situation as a poor teacher with 3 ex-wives meant that it would be a big problem for me if I had to pay out and then claim back.

Both doctor and insurance officer were very understanding and agreed to request April Insurance to agree for direct billing of 'the lot' >> all pre-operation tests/investigation costs, rather than for me to pay and then claim back.  Dr Viroj specifically wrote on his report to April that surgery/inpatient treatment would be needed, and therefore pre-authorisation for all MRI/biopsy work etc should be given by April.  (I hope April agree to this!).

Anyway, I was very happy with their attitude.  They even had my registration details from 15 years ago (advanced pneumonia), when all other private hospitals that I visited in Thailand seem to 'lose' my details after 5 years!

They even had my registration details from 15 years ago (advanced pneumonia), when all other private hospitals that I visited in Thailand seem to 'lose' my details after 5 years!

Some people are not so happy if hospitals remember too much too long.

I can lead to insurance problems. 

But yes, I was p issed  off when BNH didn't remember my HN from 2542 recently.  

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

By the way, I wanted to comment on the excellent service provided so far by Dr Viroj and the international insurance department at Bumrungrad Hospital.  Although I have an excellent 'expat' insurance policy, I was very concerned that I would either be required to pay 'up-front' for the major costs and claim back later, or I would have to do that for all the initial investigation tests (MRI, biopsy etc).  I explained to their insurance department that my parlous financial situation as a poor teacher with 3 ex-wives meant that it would be a big problem for me if I had to pay out and then claim back.

Both doctor and insurance officer were very understanding and agreed to request April Insurance to agree for direct billing of 'the lot' >> all pre-operation tests/investigation costs, rather than for me to pay and then claim back.  Dr Viroj specifically wrote on his report to April that surgery/inpatient treatment would be needed, and therefore pre-authorisation for all MRI/biopsy work etc should be given by April.  (I hope April agree to this!).

Anyway, I was very happy with their attitude.  They even had my registration details from 15 years ago (advanced pneumonia), when all other private hospitals that I visited in Thailand seem to 'lose' my details after 5 years!

Just to confirm, you've got the April International (France) insurance? not the Thai version? Good to hear good claim news

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

ok I'm assuming the "expat" version is April International as April Thailand is also for expats

April Thailand (a Thai company, with a Thai underwriter; comes under Thai insurance regs) will insure both Thais and expats.

He means April Global, a French insurer which does their own underwriting and falls under EU regulations.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

April Thailand (a Thai company, with a Thai underwriter; comes under Thai insurance regs) will insure both Thais and expats.

He means April Global, a French insurer which does their own underwriting and falls under EU regulations.

Yes, April Global, thanks for clarifying Sheryl.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2022 at 9:52 PM, simon43 said:

Thanks for the updates Simon.

Do you know what the relevant costs are?  Or have you not even bothered asking because you are insured.

And in Bumrungrad a private or government hospital?

Also what is the annual premium on your April insurance?

Edited by Adumbration

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Our plans are underwritten by either AXA XL Insurance Company UK Limited or AXA XL Underwriting -- page 8

https://uk.april-international.com/sites/united_kingdom/files/2022-04/Long-Term International Health Plan - Brochure.pdf