Tourist Visa to NON-O followed by retirement extension - What renewal date?

I have a friend returning to Thailand, trying to figure out what extension renewal date

he will get. He will be doing his paperwork at CW in Bangkok.

1) he plans to enter on Nov 15

2) he already has 800k seasoned in a bank account

3) he can apply any time for NON-O while tourist stay is valid allowing 15 days remaining

4) after he obtains NON-O he will apply for retirement extension

Question is what renewal date he will get?

Will eventual 1 year retirement extension renewal date be based on:

1) the date he originally entered Thailand (Nov 15)

2) the date he applies for NON-O

3) the date he receives the NON-O

4) the date he applies for 1 year retirement extension

5) the date he receives 1 year retirement extension

Thx

i've done the visa exempt to 90 day non O to one year extension at CW twice.  the 90 day non O begins on the date you apply, not two weeks later when you get the actual stamp in your passport.  your one year extension date will be 90 days from that date you apply for non O.

as an example, i arrived in mid july (45 day exempt entry), i applied for the non O on aug 3, oct 31 is my annual extension date.

• Like 1

the one year 'retirement' extension will start when the non imm visas 90 day permission to stay stamp expires, so renewal date will be arrival date + 30 days  ( allowing for having to have 14/15 days left from a visa exempt entry to apply for non imm visa) + 90 days + one year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buick said:

i've done the visa exempt to 90 day non O to one year extension at CW twice.  the 90 day non O begins on the date you apply, not two weeks later when you get the actual stamp in your passport.  your one year extension date will be 90 days from that date you apply for non O.

as an example, i arrived in mid july (45 day exempt entry), i applied for the non O on aug 3, oct 31 is my annual extension date.

Not in my case although not at CW.

My O visa begins when it was issued, 10 days after application and 7 days before my pick up date, Ayutthaya IO.

A friend also went thru the same procedure at Sisaket IO and his O visa begins on the day it was issued, 8 days after applying.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

Seems that the consensus is that the annual extension date will be based on the expiration date of the NON-O. Thx

Yes, so in answer to your original question, it will be based on when the O visa is issued + 90 days, which will be in between 2) the day he applied and 3) the day he received it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, so in answer to your original question, it will be based on when the O visa is issued + 90 days, which will be in between 2) the day he applied and 3) the day he received it.

He plans to winter here, say Nov-APR, but wanted the flexibility to remain away for Christmas and New Year. A renewal date in March will work well for him.

Will advise him to apply for NON-O 90 days in advance of an acceptable renewal date.

Thanks again

Edited by expat_4_life

2 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

Seems that the consensus is that the annual extension date will be based on the expiration date of the NON-O. Thx

Yes like for me.

Did border run on July 17th and applied July 19th.

Approval date of Non-O: August 2nd.

Admitted until October 30th.

Recently (October 4th) applied for one year extension.

Approved until Oct 30th, 2023.

You can not determine ahead when the Non-O is approved.

Quite arbitrary.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

the first time i went to CW to do this i was expecting the non O to start the day the stamp was placed in my passport (this was 2017).  i was trying to get my annual extension to be a mid june date.  i was surprised when i got my passport stamped and the non O began on the date of application (early march), so i ended up with may 31 as the annual extension date.

the second time, it was the same way. i went early august to apply and got oct 31 (per my previous post)

it may vary, i'm not sure, but it was the same the two times i did it (2017 and 2021).

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 7:31 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Not in my case although not at CW.

My O visa begins when it was issued, 10 days after application and 7 days before my pick up date, Ayutthaya IO.

A friend also went thru the same procedure at Sisaket IO and his O visa begins on the day it was issued, 8 days after applying.

Me too at CW 2 weeks ago.