Ubuntu 7

tigerbeer

So second time around that i manage to get some interest in trying out linux. so giving it a try on Ubuntu. Downloaded the whole 700mb iso from the Thai mirror in a record 1 hour!

Ok so i try it Live and looks nice except that its maximum resolution is only at 800pxs. Not an issue, can figure this out later cause there is something about needing some drivers to it anyways.

my major problem is however connecting linux to the internet. So i am really dumb in linux or have absolutely no idea where you put commands or even how to install something but really could learn a lot while running linux active with an internet connection. how do i get my bloody zyxel 630 modem to connect to the internet? i mean on windows xp, its a breeze, pop in the numbers, account, password and off we go.

can anyone help me on getting my to the internet through my modem on ubuntu? please!

TB

You best can take a look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsbAdslModem/AccessRunner which will help you on your way.

It is a bit funny that this USB modems designed for Windows don't work anymore in MS Windows Vista and are only supported by Linux.....

Richard,

thank you for the link. amazing the wealth of information on ubuntu alone that i don't know where to start! the more i read, the more i feel like banging my head against the wall!

also another quick question. lets say i want to install ubuntu in the hdd as a dual boot system. can i use existing hdd space to do it? or a new partition needs to be created and formatted?

The correct way to do dual-boot is to install MS Windows first, select say 50% of the hard disk space for Windows and partition and format that, the other 50% you leave unpartitioned.

After MS Windows is installed and working, you reboot and boot from Ubuntu CD after sometime, depending on available memory and processor and DVD/CD-rom speed you get the Ubuntu desktop. click on the Install icon on the desktop and here you go.... Install Ubuntu on the free un-partitioned space....(Ubuntu has the option to resize MS-Windows partitions, but it can give problems...so why take the risk if you not need...

• 3 weeks later...
The correct way to do dual-boot is to install MS Windows first, select say 50% of the hard disk space for Windows and partition and format that, the other 50% you leave unpartitioned.

After MS Windows is installed and working, you reboot and boot from Ubuntu CD after sometime, depending on available memory and processor and DVD/CD-rom speed you get the Ubuntu desktop. click on the Install icon on the desktop and here you go.... Install Ubuntu on the free un-partitioned space....(Ubuntu has the option to resize MS-Windows partitions, but it can give problems...so why take the risk if you not need...

ok i got a new pc. using the old one at home. i left 30 gigs unpartitioned for ubuntu. tried to do the install and i really dont know what to select for swap? and the other one is something else. i only have one partition available. so how do i do it. also the unpartitioned space is for secondary drive and not primary right? sorry for really basic questions, but i want to get this right this time. thanks for any help.

i left 30 gigs unpartitioned for ubuntu. tried to do the install and i really dont know what to select for swap? and the other one is something else. i only have one partition available. so how do i do it.

you need three partitions - one for windows (already created), one for Ubuntu and one for swap.

even after many Linux installs I still find the Ubuntu install repartition options confusing (but this is usually because I already have a few other Linux installs on the disk!) , so I usually recommend repartitioning before starting the install.

when booted from the live cd there is an option on the system/administration menu for GParted. click on this then click on the free space and create a new primary partition of type "linux swap", make it about the same size as your installed memory. then click on the free space again and create a primary partition of type "ext3" using all the remaining space, format these two new partitions, then exit from gparted

now run the install, if the default options are not right select manual partitioning and mount the ext3 partition as / and the swap partition as swap, you may also want to allow Ubuntu to mount the windows partition as well if you need access to windows files from Ubuntu - if NTFS you need ntfs-3g for full read/write access (this can be sorted out after install)

also the unpartitioned space is for secondary drive and not primary right?

typically a hard disk can have four primary partitions, if you need more one of those partitions can be created as an extended partition and you can create additional logicalpartitions inside the extended partition - you only need three partitions so you can make them all primary

bkkguy

Edited by bkkguy1970

bkkguy,

thank you so much for your help. i have not gotten to it, but would get to it as soon as i can. gotta finish up some work on windows first ! :o but shall get it done in 2 or 3 days time. again thanks so much.

TB.

I've been so busy this past week that I have not had a chance to get back to using VMware under Ubuntu. Does anyone have any experience running WinXP under VMware? If you do, what are your thoughts on this? On a system with sufficient horse-power, is it necessary to setup a dual-boot system if the VMware option is acceptable?

That's the only way I've ever run Windows (98, 2k, XP)... under VMware with a Linux host. it works fine for office tasks, but I wouldn't expect games to have the performance or stability you desire. Edit: not that you shouldn't try, but just don't expect everything to work as fast as on native hardware!

I also had mixed results using USB devices with the XP guest. Some low-level stuff like trying to update the firmware on my iPod didn't always work right, and I'd have to find someone with a native XP install to run the upgrade for me.

Edited by autonomous_unit

finally ! .. i am running ubuntu. and typing this from within ubuntu. lovely it is, with not installing any additional drivers yet, everything is working fine. what amazed me is how smoothly everything went on. it was confusing to start with on the installation but thanks to richard, its all worked out fine.

now some other challenges, finding out how to install additional drivers and softwares. seems like update manager is doing a whole lot of updates for me. 90 new updates? thats a lot no?

and also the add/remove module, can it help me to install drivers? right now my sounds are working but its only mono. working on one speaker and not the other. any reasons for this?

thanks everyone, it feels good to run something free and something a lot of people work so hard on perfecting. now only if I could get my MS Access file to open in ubuntu!

Hello Tigerbeer,

If you open package manager, I use Synaptic, you can find a software package called "mdbtools" with this it is possible to open MS Access files. See http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net (personal I not use Access files)

And yes, it is pretty normal that you had 90 new updates, within a few days you will see again a whole set of upgrades. Linux is a always changing OS, official you could install updates everyday but to common sense do Linux distribution send upgrades out only a few times per month. This depends highly on the importance of the upgrade and the Linux Distribution.

anyone tried installing Ubuntu Ultimate?

seems like very good stuff !

Thanks for the link. Downloading now to test under VMWare. :o

if you have fast downloads, you might want to download the Ubuntu Ultimate Gamer's Edition. 3 Gigs plus. and then burn me a DVD in return for a beer or two in chiang mai ? :D:D

Edited by tigerbeer

if you have fast downloads, you might want to download the Ubuntu Ultimate Gamer's Edition. 3 Gigs plus. and then burn me a DVD in return for a beer or two in chiang mai ? :o:D

Just put it in my download queue now. My university link is fairly fast but still expect an overnight run to get it due to students.

yay ! .. thanks ... my speed is not good big time except if its from a local mirror. just a question though, if i already have feisty fawn installed on my HDD and as dual boot with xp, where do i install this ubuntu ultimate? format the partition and reinstall this new ubuntu?