Increased Thai Visa Fees From July 2, 2007

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary A, There is no such thing as a re-entry visa, if you mean you did a visa run to the Cambodian border and came back in on a 30 day visa exemption stamp, the 1,000 Baht was for visa to enter Cambodia, the entry to Thailand was free.

I have a retirement visa, and yes I know there is no such thing as a retirement visa either. When I had to go back to the US last year for my duty visit, I had to get a re-entry stamp that cost me 1000 baht from the same immigration office that I get my yearly extensions. If it is not as re-entry visa, what is it?

Gary A, There is no such thing as a re-entry visa, if you mean you did a visa run to the Cambodian border and came back in on a 30 day visa exemption stamp, the 1,000 Baht was for visa to enter Cambodia, the entry to Thailand was free.

It is called a re-entry permit and it costs 1,000 baht paid to Thai Immigration prior to exit of Thailand. It is used to keep a current permitted to stay date alive.

Not so much regarding fees, but availability. I am working in Qatar and was told at the Thai embassy that as of June 3rd I needed proof that I was working in Qatar when applying for a 60 day (Tourist) visa.

When I questioned them as to whether I was eligible if I did NOT work in Qatar I was told NO, and that went for all embassies around the world.

Is this new? Surely the embassy in KL or Penang dont assume that 1% of non-MAlay applicants work in Malaysia.

The US prices are cheaper than the UK. :D

Non Imm multi $150 vs GBP100

Yes...but not for a single entry tourist at 28GBPv60USD. :o

George says a single entry tourist is 30USD not 60 so the UK prices seem high?. :D

I would be very surprised if there are any countries in which Thai embassies charge more than in rip-off Britain - and don't forget £28 is pre-increase rates.

The same goes for the British embassy in Bangkok - the highest prices for address verification and all consulate services.

2. TOURIST VISA

o US $30.00 per entry

Wasn't it free???

You are confusing the Visa Exemption (30 days on arrival) which is free,

with formal Tourist visa (60 days per entry) which has always attracted a fee.

It was $25. Just received mine for 60 day tourist. So they raised it $5.00

PRESS RELEASE

<FONT face="TimesNewRoman"><DIV align="left">The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand has recently instructed the Embassies and Consulates of Thailand across the world to review the visa fees in order to reflect the effects pf exchange rate fluctuation between Thai baht and other local currencies during the pass three years (2003-2007). As a result, the Royal Thai Embassy in London has learnt that the value of the Thai baht in comparison with the value of the British pound has been increased approximately 10%. In this connection, the Embassy will adjust all categories of visa fees in order to reflect the above-mentioned loss of exchange rate between Thai baht and the British pound which will be commenced from 2 July 2007 accordingly :

1. Transit Visa 17 pounds 2. Tourist Visa 28 pounds 3. Non-Immigrant Visa, single entry 45 pounds 4. Non-Immigrant Visa, multiple entries 100 pounds 5. Non-Immigrant Visa (3 Years), multiple entries 200 pounds.

Royal Thai Embassy, London June B.E. 2550 (2007)

So when the baht value decreases we can presumabley expect a reduction in price :o

I think it is naieve to say the increase is due to currency exchange rates - no excuses needed really :D

Appreciate this advice george. As a comparison, does anyone have a list of what these fees are as of today please (so one can work out what the increase actually means in monetary and percentage terms)? :o

If you look at the Royal Thai Consulate, Cardiff, Wales. You will see that we already pay far more than these published "new increased" prices.

Tourist is 25 pounds ($50) per sector.

Non Imm "O" single 40 pounds ( $80)

Non Imm "O" multi 90 pounds ($180)

Loke one other poster on Aussie costs, I also bet that the UK consulates do not reduce their prices to fall in line with the "increased price list"

" ... Increased visa fees from July 2, 2007."

... any sign of increasing the fees for visa extensions ?

If they do it will not be related to this which is reportedly due to the change in forex rates. As extensions are applied for in Thailand then the forex doesn't come into it?

Obviously the new US visa prices have absolutely nothing to do with forex rate changes.

I thought it would have been obvious to most people that the US dollar has lost 20 - 25% value against the Thai baht over the last 5 years (20% in the last 18 months alone) depending on when you do the comparison.

The Thai baht has strengthened against the GBP over the last 18 months (10%) but it's about the same rate as it was 5 years ago. Using this as a guide, the UK visa prices should either stay the same or be reduced.

They're just touting bs to justify their price hikes.

Edited by tropo

The link works - perhaps the server was down.

Below is the official announcement from the Embassy in USA (which controls the Consulates). http://www.thaiembdc.org/index.htm

ANNOUNCEMENT

As of July 2, 2007, the Royal Thai Embassy and all the Royal Thai Consulates-General in the United States of America the new visa fees will apply and is as follows:

1. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA

o US $60.00 for single entry

o US $150.00 for multiple entries

o US $150.00 (APEC Multiple Entries)

o US $300.00 (Three-year Non-Immigrant "B" for Business and Work)

2. TOURIST VISA

o US $30.00 per entry

3. TRANSIT VISA

o US $25.00 per entry

Further information will be provided by the Royal Thai Embassy’s website at www.thaiembdc.org, E-Mail: [email protected], or call (202) 944-3600 Ext. 815, 817.

Royal Thai Embassy

June 20, 2007

A little perspective, old and new prices. The rises are quite reasonable.

Tourist Visa with single entre = (£25.00) £28.00

Tourist Visa with double entry = (£50.00) £56.00

Tourist Visa with triple entry = (£75.00) £84.00

Non-Immigrant Visa with single entry = (£40.00) £45.00

Non-Immigrant Visa with multiple entries = (£90.00) £100.00

The US prices are cheaper than the UK. :D

Non Imm multi $150 vs GBP100

Yes...but not for a single entry tourist at 28GBPv60USD. :o

Single entry tourist 28GBP UK, 30USD US or 73 matebele gumbo beans. I suppose it reflects the greater kudos in holding a British passport

Thank you to the person who PM'd me

Perfectly reasonable i think. its been £90 for the last 4 years that I've had a Non-b so an increase of £10 isn't a huge. One thing i would say is that the service in the UK is fantastic. Never before have I sent something on a Monday and got it back on Wednesday. Wonderful.

When visa extensions went from 500 baht to 1,900 baht a couple of years ago, that was out of line with inflation.

Apparently. Now what they do is only give you 7 - 10 day extensions. Encouraging visa runs where you get the 30 days. A friend of mine had this problem recently. The visa run to Cambo is only 1700 baht for example. He's an off shore diver and needed 2 weeks. What other option. He ended up in a bus for 6 hours with 12 other people.

The British Embassy have raised there fees more though.

In comparrison the wife paid just over 4,500 Baht for 6 Months UK yesterday. (6 months is the minimum)

UK Passport has gone up as well. The 48 page i bought here recently was just over 10,300 Baht.

Guess thats inflation for you.

Do they start making Double and Triple Tourist Visa again from 2 July in Penang ???

JR Texas: Raising the fees across the board is equivalent to raising the bar.........absolutely the wrong thing to do.......so that is what they decided to do. :o

Why?

I don't think he heard you RalphUK. So let's ask him again. Why is 'raising the bar' absolutely the wrong thing to do?

I have a retirement visa, and yes I know there is no such thing as a retirement visa either. When I had to go back to the US last year for my duty visit, I had to get a re-entry stamp that cost me 1000 baht from the same immigration office that I get my yearly extensions. If it is not as re-entry visa, what is it?

I'm with you Gary,

When you fill in your arrival card and it asks for visa number you enter the number of the re-entry permit/stamp/visa/endorsement/whatever. You don't strike out the word visa and overwrite permit.

I'm with you Gary,

When you fill in your arrival card and it asks for visa number you enter the number of the re-entry permit/stamp/visa/endorsement/whatever. You don't strike out the word visa and overwrite permit.

It is not a visa - is is a re-entry permit obtained by filling out an application for re-entry using TM.8 form to keep the permitted to stay date alive of a visa/extension of visa entry and clearly marked as such in your passport.

Increased visa fees from July 2, 2007

Penang is issuing Multi entry visas again

As of July 2, 2007, the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates will raise the visa fees as follows:

1. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA

o US $60.00 for single entry

o US $150.00 for multiple entries

o US $150.00 (APEC Multiple Entries)

o US $300.00 (Three-year Non-Immigrant "B" for Business and Work)

2. TOURIST VISA

o US $30.00 per entry

3. TRANSIT VISA

o US $25.00 per entry

Source:

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

http://www.thaiembdc.org/

Related thread:

Penang is issuing Multi entry visas again:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127365

Hi, you all seem to know much about visas, and i might be a bit off the main topic but i want your guys advise here. My situation: I have a company that pretty much dont give me any money at all. The whole purpose of it is for me to be able to own everything i have (cars,motorbikes,etc.). And it generates me a non b visa off course. All though this is very costly, every mounth taxes 1900 and the visa is usually 3 mounths with double entry. Now, since my gf is pregnant we will probably get married pretty soon due to swedich soc security and also the fact that i want my child to get swedich passport and membership. Now my question: Should i be able to get a year visa when the child is born and im married? And what else do i need in order to get one year? I want to know if the whole company thing could be something i pass over to my wifes name since i dont really need a work permit. Im sorry for being a bit off main topic but it seems to me that some of you guys would be able to advise me here. Whats the smartest and easiest way to do? Because visaruns 2 times a year + border-runs one time a year + alot of money-spending in wrong things is just not smoth enough for me. Maybe there would be a better way?

Thankful for advise

/cheers

To obtain one year extensions of stay will require you and wife to prove 40k per month family income. Currently believe they want that to be by showing tax document that tax was paid on that average amount last year if in Thailand funds.

Being married you would be able to obtain non immigrant O visas for visits of up to 90 days but that would require border runs and yearly visa runs.

JR Texas: Raising the fees across the board is equivalent to raising the bar.........absolutely the wrong thing to do.......so that is what they decided to do. :o

Why?

I don't think he heard you RalphUK. So let's ask him again. Why is 'raising the bar' absolutely the wrong thing to do?

JR Texas: Howdy Bendix and RalphUK. I believe that the govt. should be doing everything possible to stimulate tourism and the economy. "Raising the bar" sends another in along line of messages to foreigners that only rich tourists/expats are wanted.

The current plan is to push out all tourists/expats that are not rich....to create a "paradise for the rich and famous." That plan will not work........it makes no sense from an economic perspective. And Thailand never has been a paradise and certainly is not one now.

It is senseless, in my view, to take any action to limit the inflow of dollars into the Kingdom. Most tourists/expats worldwide are not rich........and they spend money. Is it a good thing to attract rich tourists/expats? Yes, of course! But they are in the minority.

Here is the important point: There is no need to take any action that harms tourists/expats that are not rich. The bulk of the Thai economy devoted to tourism/expats is not structured for rich tourists. It is this sector that will be hurt......it is already being hurt.

A win-win situation can be achieved.......immigration policies can and should be implemented to attract both rich and non-rich tourists/expats.

I'm with you Gary,

It is not a visa - is is a re-entry permit obtained by filling out an application for re-entry using TM.8 form to keep the permitted to stay date alive of a visa/extension of visa entry and clearly marked as such in your passport.

Both Gary and I are were aware of the correct term, Lopburi. Boths our posts are to take issue with those who pick up on the wrong terminology for no other pupose than point scoring.

when did Thailand convert to US$?

You aren't to quick out of the gate are you, you get Thai visas in embassies in other countries, there for they are going to use an international currency as the benchmark.

No. USD is not the benchmark. The rise should depend on the depreciation of a particular national currency against the Thai Baht. So in Zimbabwe you now get a free visa and a land allocation of 100rai...tomorrow 125rai.

You do not take the USD price and convert to local currency. If you did many people would be delighted as US prices are relatively cheap.

I'm with you Gary,

Both Gary and I are were aware of the correct term, Lopburi. Boths our posts are to take issue with those who pick up on the wrong terminology for no other pupose than point scoring.

In other words you believe I am point scoring and you have the right to post false information?

To obtain one year extensions of stay will require you and wife to prove 40k per month family income. Currently believe they want that to be by showing tax document that tax was paid on that average amount last year if in Thailand funds.

Is that 40K clear before or after tax?

Also is the stipulated 65K for a standard 'non-family' retirement 'Non-O', before or after taxes? ie Many foreigners just manage the 65K as a stated (gross) overall pension yet they are actually receiving less net pension after taxes are paid in their home countries.

Thnx for your input :o

Is it a good thing to attract rich tourists/expats? Yes, of course! But they are in the minority.

Here is the important point: There is no need to take any action that harms tourists/expats that are not rich. The bulk of the Thai economy devoted to tourism/expats is not structured for rich tourists. It is this sector that will be hurt......it is already being hurt.

Do rich tourists ever come to SE Asia? I would have thought that rich people would not travel to 3rd world countries except maybe on important business. I'm talking about multi-millionaires and above.