Dual nationality British/Australian

davemos

Yep. I have Aussie passport (born there) and British through my dear departed dad. Just be sure you use same passport you enter with to leave with.

It was great during EU membership as I could fly into Europe, no visas and go wherever I pleased with complete ease.

I still use it when I/we fly into UK and sometimes get a nice warm; 'welcome home' by the IO folks bless their Ol' Blighty hearts thinking I'm returning home after a long absence ... hahaha ????????

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1

Use the same passport to leave a country you used to enter the country.

Always use the passport for the country you are entering if you have such a passport.  In other words, in the UK you should only use your UK passport and in Australia only your Australian passport.  In third countries it's up to you which one you prefer to use, pick one and use it to enter and to leave that country.

1 hour ago, Maejo Man said:

If you leave Australia on your British passport, make sure you have an RRV which is a residents return visa. Valid for 5 years and costs around $250. You can apply on line and it's electronically linked to your passport.

I am curious as to what would be the advantage of leaving Australia using a British passport if you were born in Australia and hold a passport from that country.?

• Like 1

You can’t leave AUS on a British passport if you are an AUS citizen. (unless you entered and were stamped in on your British passport). 

My understanding is that you must enter AUS on your AUS passport if you are a citizen of AUS. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 7:14 AM, wtboatr said:

You can’t leave AUS on a British passport if you are an AUS citizen. (unless you entered and were stamped in on your British passport). 

My understanding is that you must enter AUS on your AUS passport if you are a citizen of AUS. 

Utter claptrap! My daughter (Australian/British and NZ passports) Left Australia a few weeks ago on her British passport as he first port of call was England. I also do it frequently. Both of my children were born in Australia, but also hold British and New Zealand passports courtesy of myself and their mother who is a New Zealand national.

My daughter's job takes her all over the globe every few weeks, and depending where she is going, she selects a suitable passport. Two months ago she went to Iceland on her NZ passport as the Australian passport office was taking 3 months of renewals! As I said previously if you leave Australia on a British passport make sure you apply for a RRV before you leave.