Breaking a 12 month rental agreement

Hi,

Can anyone advise what is the practical consequence of terminating a 12 month condo rental after, say 6 months? Is it limited to losing your deposit? The question is re Pattaya incase it matters.

I have also read conflicting information about how many months' deposit a landlord can ask for. Some newish legislation suggests that its maximum of 1 month - and the tenant can give 30 days' notice at any time. But I regularly see ads asking for 2 months' deposit.

Joe

Thanks richard_smith. That seems fair enough. In England one would be liable for the entire remaining term unless the landlord found a new tenant and is agreeable to a reduction.

If one can walk away without further liability that gives peace of mind.

On another note. If you have a 12 months contract.and you want to leave give a month notice...but I was advised not to pay the last month rent if the landlord holds 1 month deposit... I Should have took note...as I payed the last month hoping to get deposit back as you would in UK.... But landlord had no money to pay me back.... they thing deposit is extra money they can spend....

If you have a 12 month contract with no clause about leaving early, legally speaking you are on the hook for the full 12 months- however most landlords would not bother filing police reports and taking you to court over it and would just take the deposit.

Not really much point for landlords having year contracts, which presumably you negotiate at lower rental, if you can just walk away early. May as well just do month by month.