Older Tablet or Ipad still viable / useable?

Kenny202

I seen a lot of used older tablets and Ipad mini's etc for sale used. Most under 2000 baht. Obviously a risk older stuff but I would only use it for surfing on the sofa, ebooks etc. Normally use my PC or phone for photos, storage etc. Not interested in putting a sim in it. I had an older Macbook when I came here, I think 2012 or so and reached the limit of updating system which in turn limited me with many newer apps. I am not thinking of buying a tablet that old....maybe 2016-18?

Ipad mini seems to be a decent size but not too big. Would an older one still work ok on home true fiber / wifi connection? I think my home router has 3 and 5G.  

Just no sense me forking out more money than that for what will be a casual convenience / toy

Edited by Kenny202

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Lenovo p11 brand new 10,000 baht

Yeah I don't want to spend anywhere near that. Its quite possible I will use it for a month and throw it in the drawer. My wife got a Huawei tablet for 5000 baht new and it is great

Like I said not interested in features, cameras etc.....really just a web browsing device

Edited by Kenny202

6 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Yeah I don't want to spend anywhere near that. Its quite possible I will use it for a month and throw it in the drawer. My wife got a Huawei tablet for 5000 baht new and it is great

Like I said not interested in features, cameras etc.....really just a web browsing device

Get a huawei then. Whats an extra 3000

It might not work with 802.11ac (WiFi 5). But this is no problem since 802.11n is normally fast enough. In respect of a SIM. Just recently I tried my Note II from 2012 with a new AIS SIM. No problems. Just be careful that it is not from an other country. A Thai friend bought a used one that was from Korea. It was locked to a phone provider there. It took me a while to make it work with the True Move SIM. So best test with a SIM before you buy. 

Just now, Mickeymaus said:

It might not work with 802.11ac (WiFi 5). But this is no problem since 802.11n is normally fast enough. In respect of a SIM. Just recently I tried my Note II from 2012 with a new AIS SIM. No problems. Just be careful that it is not from an other country. A Thai friend bought a used one that was from Korea. It was locked to a phone provider there. It took me a while to make it work with the True Move SIM. So best test with a SIM before you buy. 

Wont be using a sim, only home wifi

22 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Ipad mini seems to be a decent size but not too big. Would an older one still work ok on home true fiber / wifi connection? I think my home router has 3 and 5G.  

Just no sense me forking out more money than that for what will be a casual convenience / toy

3 and 5G are phone connections Wi-Fi is 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Don’t get an Ipad mini or Ipad mini 2 the software is too limited, minimum is Ipad mini 3, 2014 (Maximum OS is iOS 12.5.5)  Or  Ipad mini 4, 2015 (Maximum OS is Latest release of iPadOS)

The 5th gen is 2019

Every iPad will work on your Wi-Fi, the older ones will have problems with some software 

One thing you have to be aware of. Some apps might not work with older operating systems anymore. For instance banking apps but even others. My Samsung Note II (I have other devices...) has limited functionality in the meantime. Also my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with Android 5 has problems with some apps in the meantime. Mainly I use a device with Android 11.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

For instance banking apps but even others.

Too true unfortunately. I prefer to use Windows/Linux laptops (14 inch seems a good compromise on size to me) to tablets. Neo banks don't seem to like web functionality though, offering their services via mobile app only. 

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like Mrs found a 2019 Samsung Tab A 8.0 for 2000 baht and women works basically around the corner from her. Like new in box. Very basic tablet but by all accounts perfect for what I need and the right size. Thanks again

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

Too true unfortunately. I prefer to use Windows/Linux laptops (14 inch seems a good compromise on size to me) to tablets. Neo banks don't seem to like web functionality though, offering their services via mobile app only. 

But even LINE doesn't work anymore. Or my Email client K9. Google Drive has a problem with the Note II. And more and more other apps. And all these worked before without any problems. So you are forced to buy new devices... 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

But even LINE doesn't work anymore. Or my Email client K9. Google Drive has a problem with the Note II. And more and more other apps. And all these worked before without any problems. So you are forced to buy new devices... 

I had the same problem with the Macbook. It is programmed self destruction and will only get worse in the future. 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

I like to get my money's worth out of my devices too! My Huawei GR5 2017 mobile 'phone will only update to Android version 7. Several apps won't now instal on it. My Mrs likes to 'treat me' by buying reconditioned technology from her friend who has a mobile 'phone shop. In June she bought me an iPhone 8 Plus. Fortunately, at present, it seems to do everything I need although, of course, it's single SIM. I would have chosen an Android dual SIM 'phone for myself. 

iPad 10,000 is really convenient.    I only use it a few times a week, which is fine.   

I know 10,000 out of your price range.

If more than like four years old, NO WAY.  Not even for 500 baht.  The headaches alone and updates and more headaches and eventual failure will drive you crazy.   

Older electronics are just horrible......absolutely garbage unless you like tinkering with stuff all day.

Even a laptop has battery problems, screen issues after only like 2 years.   

save your money.  if you like the one for 5000, wait until the newer model.   New stuff just works way better, looks better, and is more fun.

iPad is the ONLY Apple product I like.  the rest are overpriced headaches.   when they work, they are great...............that's for another thread.

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

haha, sounds like you've answered your own question; get a huawei. next.

7 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

Older electronics are just horrible......absolutely garbage unless you like tinkering with stuff all day.

Yes and no. IF I even take a phone with me (normally not) then it is this one. About 20 years problem free and still the same functionality as on the first day. Charging - every couple of days. ????????❤️

16656597369660.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

In June she bought me an iPhone 8 Plus. Fortunately, at present, it seems to do everything I need although, of course, it's single SIM. I would have chosen an Android dual SIM 'phone for myself. 

That is a 2017 phone, you need to get one that is a year later (the iPhone XS) and later to get a dual sim or multiple sim iPhone.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Older tablets and iPads are cheap for a reason. One is out-of-date software, the other is the battery, which in some cases needs to be tied to permanent charge if it is to function at all.

I have an Ipad Air 1st Gen was released November 2013, still working fine on battery last IOS update was IOS 12.5.5 final software update was September 23, 2021.

On some apple products apple provide support for upto 7 years, 11 months from release date

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Older tablets and iPads are cheap for a reason. One is out-of-date software, the other is the battery, which in some cases needs to be tied to permanent charge if it is to function at all.

Yes true if you have an old iPad and the programs available for it don’t suit your needs, however if you want to use it as a media library you can have it permanently on power, but it isn’t a battery expensive to replace. (I know, I’ve done it!) 

it is a very capable tool used for the things it can do

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

Be careful if you buy older devices. I just checked the minimum Android version for some messenger apps. This is it AT THE MOMENT. Not so long ago LINE for instance still worked with Android 4.2.

It is a very bad development. Imagine you have to buy new devices for your whole family every couple of years just to be able to use one of these apps. 

Required Android versions:

WhatsApp 4.1

Viber 5.0

Skype 6.0

Telegram 6.0

LINE 7.0

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is a 2017 phone, you need to get one that is a year later (the iPhone XS) and later to get a dual sim or multiple sim iPhone.

Thanks for the most relevant and helpful info. Maybe that will be what I'm due to get next but who knows!

21 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I would only use it for surfing on the sofa, ebooks etc. Normally use my PC or phone for photos, storage etc. Not interested in putting a sim in it.

I'm with you. That's how I use mine, and only when traveling for brief periods or needing to sit in a Thai gov't office. Or at the laundromat on rare occasions.???? I prefer the 8" size, too.

I also want something cheap enough so that if it gets stolen from a hotel room or somehow "injured," I don't care. Same with my laptop. Dirt cheap, old tech, runs Fedora XFCE well, long as I don't open more than, say, 10 tabs. Encrypted /home of course.

So the thread's been hijacked as usual by our big spenders and app/device experts ignoring your very minimal requirements. Kinda like walking into a gym full of preening bodybuilders and asking about "toning."

Well, take a look at this:

Huawei MatePad T8 ฿2,979.00

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/huawei-matepad-t8-4glte-32gb-wifi-ram216gb1-tablet-8-i2188062529-s11737196593.html?

I have a T3 from Shopee, about the same price, takes a SIM. Been good. No speed demon for surfing, but OK. I have speed at home.

If you got a friend coming from the States, Amazon Fire tablets area a good buy. Can be Googlified with a little effort. Thinking about getting one of those and keeping the T3 in reserve. You never know, Dad always used to say. 

Used equipment can be fine but, as has been pointed out, the battery can be problematic. Aliexpress has the cheaper battery replacements. Me, I stay away from Apple anything. That way madness lies.????

Edited by BigStar

17 hours ago, BigStar said:

Used equipment can be fine but, as has been pointed out, the battery can be problematic. Aliexpress has the cheaper battery replacements. .

Just be aware that there are no bargains in batteries. Buy a cheep battery and you will get a cheep battery, you will not get a good quality quality battery for a cheap price. 

In short you will get poorer performance with a cheaper battery.