Squash In Chiang Mai

Wizzard of Oz

Long time listener, first time caller :o

Does anyone here play squash and would be up for a game?

Are there actually squash courts in cm btw?

Also could go for some tennis - as long as it's doubles (not fit enough to runn all over a tennis court =P)

I think that squash is still the go at the Gymkhana Club every Sunday afternoon.

Also could go for some tennis - as long as it's doubles (not fit enough to runn all over a tennis court =P)

I think that squash is still the go at the Gymkhana Club every Sunday afternoon.

Is it a club type thing where anyone can just come along?

And if so, any idea what time?

Last thing - do I just say Gymkhana Club to a tuk tuk driver and they will know where it is?

• 1 month later...

i'll be in chiang mai from xmas onwards for a couple of months or so. In an effort to keep fit (!) I would love a friendly game of squash sometime :-)

I would say i was an average / good player! Would prefer spontaneous games rather than organising clubs etc ..

Also i wouldnt mind getting involved in some 5 aside football ...if any goes on in CM ?

Is it a club type thing where anyone can just come along?

And if so, any idea what time?

Last thing - do I just say Gymkhana Club to a tuk tuk driver and they will know where it is?

Chiangmai Gymkhana Club....

Chiangmai-Lamphun Road

e-mail < [email protected] >

Telephone No. 053 241035 / 053 257352

They are offering a one-time special 5,000 baht social membership (for life)

And they do have squash courts

Edited by john b good

i'll be in chiang mai from xmas onwards for a couple of months or so. In an effort to keep fit (!) I would love a friendly game of squash sometime :-)

I would say i was an average / good player! Would prefer spontaneous games rather than organising clubs etc ..

Also i wouldnt mind getting involved in some 5 aside football ...if any goes on in CM ?

I'm up for squash. I'm not a high level competitive, but am handy with a racquet =P

PM me when you'd like a game. I haven't played in Thailand before though, so no idea about location or cost of courts and racquet hire at this time.

I'm up for squash. I'm not a high level competitive, but am handy with a racquet =P

PM me when you'd like a game. I haven't played in Thailand before though, so no idea about location or cost of courts and racquet hire at this time.

We play at Gymkhana 3-4X's a week. Big nights are Thursdays and Sunday afternoons about 4. All levels invited. Just friendlies.

The CM team is going to BKK next weekend for a match against one of the local Prep Schools which has been going on for 20 years. The ChiengMai Cup.

Professor Bob Malloy, at CM Uni, has been the driving force of local squash here in CM for 20 years. He is usually there on Sundays.

I am a former coach, Uni level, and will be in and out for the next few months. But am usually there nightly (If not golfing :-)) Again, we have all levels.

looks like there's alot of squash interest in CM! Good to hear. I'll be there in a couple of weeks, so i may well drop by Gymkhana club on a thursday or sunday. I'm not club standard but think i'd give anyone a good game ..famous last words! Think i'll bring my own racquet from home. Although from memory Tesco Lotus had a good racquet selection at reasonable prices. Wizzard if you're up for a game on any other day let me know. I came across a some squash courts (and badminton and tennis) near the train station on my last visit...may even be the same place!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, do you guys still have your regular sessions at the GymKhana? If so i may drop by this thursday for a game. Can someone tell me if there are racquets for hire? Also any places in CM that sell good quality racquets? I've seen a few places that sell tennis and badminton equipment but haven't seen much squash gear here...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Can anyone tell me if there are any good squash courts in Chiang Mai and how much they charge for court time. With air con would be good but i would prefer a good court without air con than a bad court with air con if you know what i mean.

Thanks

Not sure of the rates but The Chiang Mai Gymkhana Club has squash courts.

Old Lampoon Road, Chiang Mai, Thailand. Tel: +66(0)53 241035

Yeah, the only ones we found was Gymkhana

If you are not a member, it's 100b per person (plus 40b for racket hire)

They have membership of like 5k a year, but then you still need to pay a monthly fee. And on top of that, it's still 40b per person each time you play (yea, you pay 3 times for the same thing - it's absurd)

They have a social club thing on tuesday, thursday and sunday at 4pm if you want to just rock up and play with whoever is around. That's the same price - 100b for non-members.

The only other court I heard of was at praem uni where they are supposed to have 5 courts, but praem is a fair way away from what I hear.

• 4 months later...
Anyone up for a game? I play fairly well, just for fun at Gymkhana, and would like to know a few people who I could call now and then for squash in the afternoons or weekends... Anyone? Thanks :o

We play every Thurs and Sat, Sunday on a pretty regular basis. I am out of the country for the next 2 weeks but you will find standards of all kinds those days at approx 5-5:50pm. By hight standard do you mean county level ?? A few fellows will give you a game then.

There are courts at Grace School, which might soon become World Club Sports Centre again soon!

(First thought this might be a thread about vegetable marrows or pumpkins!)

In the inimitable words of Captain Manwaring (Dad's Army) "Stupid boy!"

Edited by Toon Army

• 2 months later...

i have just been reading about the gymkhana and thought i knew where it was (along the ping river) but now i have seen this and am wondering whether this is the one and same place...? there is a map at the bottom of the page and this shows the place that is along the ping river

http://chiangmaihotels.chiangdao.com/imperialchm/details.htm

this place has 2 courst apparently but 6 tennis courts whereas the gymkhana only has 2?

can someone clear this up for me? i already play tennis a lot at 700 yr stadium but would love to play squash again and this seems to be the recommended place. I live next to rimping on the highway heading out to maejo so its not to far for my scooter. Grace school is too far.

I have also heard that there are courts at maejo uni, paem uni (which is maybe supposed to be payap?) and once was told of a court at the Australian Expats club! Anyone got a rounded view of all this?

Many thanks

Jules

i have just been reading about the gymkhana and thought i knew where it was (along the ping river) but now i have seen this and am wondering whether this is the one and same place...? there is a map at the bottom of the page and this shows the place that is along the ping river

http://chiangmaihotels.chiangdao.com/imperialchm/details.htm

this place has 2 courst apparently but 6 tennis courts whereas the gymkhana only has 2?

can someone clear this up for me? i already play tennis a lot at 700 yr stadium but would love to play squash again and this seems to be the recommended place. I live next to rimping on the highway heading out to maejo so its not to far for my scooter. Grace school is too far.

I have also heard that there are courts at maejo uni, paem uni (which is maybe supposed to be payap?) and once was told of a court at the Australian Expats club! Anyone got a rounded view of all this?

Many thanks

Jules

The link is to the Imperial Resort Hotel and Sports Club which is near Green Valley Golf course in mae Rim. The Gymkhana is right in town, just past the Kawilla Army Barracks - heading towards Nong Hoy. It is more or less half way between Nawarat Bridge and Mengrai Bridge on the Old Chiang Mai - Lamphun Rd. The entrance is on Ratutit Rd - there is a huge tree at the intersection of Chiang Mai - Lamphun Rd and Ratutit Rd. The entrance is 100 metres up the road. The Squash section has a social night - visitors welcome - on Thursday , I think. Try searching "Gymkhana Squash".

As the previous poster posted... are there racquets for hire at gymkhana? There are 4 of us who have all had past experience of hitting assorted balls. If we go to Gymkhana tonight (Thurs) are we likely to be able to get a game of either tennis or squash? Maybe both? Between us weve got 2 tennis bats and no squash. Or are we better turning up on a non-club-night, if club nights are the busiest?

Alternative will be squash/ tennis at Imperial Mae Rim way, or just tennis at 700 yr stadium.

Also as previous posted asked - anywhere to buy decent squash racquets?

Sorry for so many Qs!

As the previous poster posted... are there racquets for hire at gymkhana?

Yes, but not sure if they have 4 of either racquet ie maybe 2 of each

There are 4 of us who have all had past experience of hitting assorted balls. If we go to Gymkhana tonight (Thurs) are we likely to be able to get a game of either tennis or squash? Maybe both? Between us weve got 2 tennis bats and no squash. Or are we better turning up on a non-club-night, if club nights are the busiest?

You should get a game of one or the other - Tennis very likely

Alternative will be squash/ tennis at Imperial Mae Rim way, or just tennis at 700 yr stadium.

Also as previous posted asked - anywhere to buy decent squash racquets?

Sportworld at Central (Kad Suan Geaw) or Airport Plaza

Sorry for so many Qs!

Non-members can play on any night.