New system for processing visa at Thai Embassy in London

I've just had my Non Immigrant O visa approved by the Thai Embassy in London and it only took four days to process which was efficient. I haven't been to Thailand since just before the Covid pandemic so I'm not aware of any new procedures in the visa application process. I've been sent a document that confirms approval of my visa and contains a QR code. It says that airlines may ask to see the document when they carry out checks but it doesn't mention anything about immigration once you get to Thailand. I'm assuming the old process of sending your passport to the embassy so they can put the visa in your passport has now been replaced with this system and this document is all I need at my point of departure from the UK and when I arrive in Thailand? 

• Like 1

^^ Thanks!

i've gone through a few pages of the 'applying for thai visa ' page here and from what i can see, other than the excess docs they require - seems most have no issues? Yes / no?

What's the general consensus here amongst you guys in regards to the new online Thai e-visa system?

THANKS!

1 hour ago, CaptainPeacock said:
^^ Thanks!

i've gone through a few pages of the 'applying for thai visa ' page here and from what i can see, other than the excess docs they require - seems most have no issues? Yes / no?

What's the general consensus here amongst you guys in regards to the new online Thai e-visa system?

THANKS!

Some have problems, others do not. I think there are fewer people now for whom applying for a visa in advance makes sense. A single entry tourist visa buys you little, and a Non O-A visa or single entry Non O (over 50) tends to be a mistake. This is not because of the e-visa system per se, but because of changed requirements over time, and the current availability of a 45-day visa exemption.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Some have problems, others do not. I think there are fewer people now for whom applying for a visa in advance makes sense. A single entry tourist visa buys you little, and a Non O-A visa or single entry Non O (over 50) tends to be a mistake. This is not because of the e-visa system per se, but because of changed requirements over time, and the current availability of a 45-day visa exemption.

Hi Tim,

I am married to a Thai, over 50 and will be in Thailand for 90 days, from end of next month ->NOV.

So in my case surely applying for a: single entry Non-Immigrant Type O (90 days) is the best option?

Is there a better option to get 90 days? I'm i missing something as I don't really understand the bit I bolded in your post.

THANKS!

3 hours ago, CaptainPeacock said:
Hi Tim,

I am married to a Thai, over 50 and will be in Thailand for 90 days, from end of next month ->NOV.

So in my case surely applying for a: single entry Non-Immigrant Type O (90 days) is the best option?

Is there a better option to get 90 days? I'm i missing something as I don't really understand the bit I bolded in your post.

THANKS!

If you want 90 days, a Non O visa (to visit Thai spouse) is a good option. It is only the Non O visa (over age 50) that is contraindicated.

Another option for your stay could be visa exempt (45 days) + 30 day extension + 60 days extension (to visit your Thai wife)

• Thumbs Up 1

In my case, thai embassy in Paris, it took 14 days to receive my non-imm O visa in my mail last month. Their website says the usual wait is 1 month.

Only pb is that they ask for documents that are nowhere to be found in the Evisa. So i had to merge all the pdf files into one and put it with the bank statements.

E-Visa for the first time was a bit challenging, but will be much easier next time.

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2022 at 9:54 PM, CaptainPeacock said:

Hi all.

i'm about to apply for a single entry Non-Immigrant Type O (90 days) ( London site https://thaievisa.go.th/)

and this thread seems like a good place to post questions...

in the pic below -> "purpose of visit"  is that correct for visiting my Thai wife?

Any advice is much appreciated. THANKS!

image.jpeg.6dd97cb513c15e572b31d740b846cc92.jpeg

You will need a letter from your wife saying that you are still married. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CaptainPeacock said:
^^ Thanks!

THANKS!

The answer to your last point depends on the individual, some find online processing a bit difficult and others have an aversion to change.

The e-visa system is a bit more involved, it has to be borne in mind it has been written to cover various scenarios and you need to read between the lines.

It is certainly quicker and more convient than before. An hour at the computer and job done, no farting about filling in forms and going to the post office or the embassy.

You need to note that the guidance will say all documents should be in English but that does not apply to the marriage certificate, they need to see the Thai version.

I have attached a copy of the question page from the application.

Good luck.

Official Website of Thailand Electronic Visa_4.pdf

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 1:08 AM, Big FranK said:

In my case, thai embassy in Paris, it took 14 days to receive my non-imm O visa in my mail last month. Their website says the usual wait is 1 month.

Only pb is that they ask for documents that are nowhere to be found in the Evisa. So i had to merge all the pdf files into one and put it with the bank statements.

E-Visa for the first time was a bit challenging, but will be much easier next time.

1 month...thats crazy!

here in the UK the thai embassy for many years stated not to apply to early just apply 1 month b4 departure.

on the thaievisa.go.th e-visa site it states :

Visa applicants are suggested to submit application at least 15 working days prior to the intended travelling date to Thailand.

image.jpeg.40c554b252e95d4b330c6e829b6f2a64.jpeg

anyways, thanks for replies and info, pls post any other additional useful info. i will submit my application this weekend which will give me 1 month prior to departure.

i will report back.

Hi guys.

just read through the pdf AND have some questions to the visa requirements below:

-Bank statement, showing GBP10,000 minimum, with name & visible *
i don't have £10K in my current acc, however i do in my nsi saving acc, can i block out the acc number for security reasons?

-Financial evidence, e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party *
is the above for my Thai wife?

-Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency. *

will a council tax statement with my name & address be OK for the above?

Hope someone replies soon as I want to get this submitted tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, persimmon said:

Yes , Council tax bill should be fine . Good idea to block out any sensitive nos on bank statements or anything else that could be used for identity theft .

do you think this could cause them rejecting my application?

can anyone here confirm they blocked out acc numbers?

the e-visa site should state you can block out acc numbers, cos all they ask is the below:

(10 . Bank statement, showing GBP10,000 minimum, with name & visible * )

First time i asked for a thai visa was in the 90's, i got my visa at the embassy in three days and could ask for a tourist visa with as many entries as i wanted. No documents asked, just had to fill a form, done in 5 minutes...good old days.

I don't delete the bank account number on bank statements, but i delete my client number and internet personal access number on every file i send. With the right pdf editor they won't even see the modification.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CaptainPeacock said:

do you think this could cause them rejecting my application?

can anyone here confirm they blocked out acc numbers?

the e-visa site should state you can block out acc numbers, cos all they ask is the below:

(10 . Bank statement, showing GBP10,000 minimum, with name & visible * )

I blocked out the nos on my submitted docos and got my  TR visa in 3 days , no problems . After all , why would they want to know your acc. no . and other details ?

Think of the E-Visa like airline E-Ticket.  The days of gluing an actual visa onto a passport page are gone(but with TIT nothing is 100% certain).  I got an OA in Jan 2022 and arrived with the E-Visa at BKK in early February.  I printed out the confirmation email from the Thai Consulate and paper clipped it to a passport page.  The entry process was a smooth one and the IO stamped my passport.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, persimmon said:

I blocked out the nos on my submitted docos and got my  TR visa in 3 days , no problems . After all , why would they want to know your acc. no . and other details ?

yeah agree that's what i'll do.

today created an account at thaievisa.go.th and filled out most of it and uploaded some of the docs, just waiting for wifey to supply a salary letter from her company - that won't be until tuesday.

I'd say it's best to apply at least a month before travel as you just don't know what they are going to ask for...

the Bank statement, showing GBP10,000 minimum ....was a shock cos for 20 years i got a non-imm O visa from Cardiff with nothing more than a BS biz letter from a mate!

I have NEVER been asked for proof of funds to enter Thailand...until now!

9 hours ago, CaptainPeacock said:
yeah agree that's what i'll do.

today created an account at thaievisa.go.th and filled out most of it and uploaded some of the docs, just waiting for wifey to supply a salary letter from her company - that won't be until tuesday.

I'd say it's best to apply at least a month before travel as you just don't know what they are going to ask for...

the Bank statement, showing GBP10,000 minimum ....was a shock cos for 20 years i got a non-imm O visa from Cardiff with nothing more than a BS biz letter from a mate!

I have NEVER been asked for proof of funds to enter Thailand...until now!

On the non O marriage there are 2 financial questions, one is regarding your income(nothing to do with your wife) and the other is money in the bank.

You need only answer one, or both, up to you. If you have a pension over 40k baht/month you could use that for first question and there would be no need for the bank statement.

I did both, a copy of pension letter and print out from my Thai account, well below 10K GDP.

On the non o retirement the 2 questions have been merged which is bit less confusing.

Yes the UK consulates never used to ask for financials on Non O marriage, I used Hull for many years.  I also got a Non O marriage in HCMC 3 years ago without financials.

There has always been a financial requirement for Non O retirement and when they introduced the E-visa a few years back it looks like they tried to bring the requirements more in line.

8 hours ago, kelboy said:

I sent them proof of £10000 in my savings account, they said they wanted to see my bank account that I use for everything ie money going in and money going out with a balance of £1000.

Could you elaborate please:

What visa? (O or Tourist?)

Did the statement show anything that indicated it was INSTANT access?

Who was "they"?  The Embassy, if so which country or the Visa department?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by VBF

On 10/24/2022 at 2:48 AM, sandyf said:

On the non O marriage there are 2 financial questions, one is regarding your income(nothing to do with your wife) and the other is money in the bank.

You need only answer one, or both, up to you. If you have a pension over 40k baht/month you could use that for first question and there would be no need for the bank statement.

I did both, a copy of pension letter and print out from my Thai account, well below 10K GDP.

On the non o retirement the 2 questions have been merged which is bit less confusing.

Yes the UK consulates never used to ask for financials on Non O marriage, I used Hull for many years.  I also got a Non O marriage in HCMC 3 years ago without financials.

There has always been a financial requirement for Non O retirement and when they introduced the E-visa a few years back it looks like they tried to bring the requirements more in line.

this is the problem, with the online system, it is NOT clear.

in the last 3 years non-0 at london thai ebassy  (precovid) i did it in person and they asked for wifes financial /work letter.

i've submitted it today, we shall see. will post results.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptainPeacock said:

this is the problem, with the online system, it is NOT clear.

in the last 3 years non-0 at london thai ebassy  (precovid) i did it in person and they asked for wifes financial /work letter.

i've submitted it today, we shall see. will post results.

Last Non O I did at London was late 2017, just marriage certificate and ID card.

The E- visa system at London started in June 2019 but there were problems initially and some had to visit in person to get their visas under the new system.

Never heard before of the Thai embassy asking for income details for the Thai spouse of a UK applicant, must have been taking lessons from UK immigration. 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Well surprise ...surprise, i got the Non O visa on monday!

took 5 working days pretty good.

i thought there would be problems, cos when i submitted the photos system said to bright or something?!

anyways, FAR better doing it online than all the hassle of visiting/ or by post.

a couple of tips for anybody would be make sure you do it at least 1 month before departure, also the online system has a function whereby after you upload all the docs, you can ask to have them checked, i assume this is FREE?????

also you will need to put more than 1 doc in a file upload sometimes + resizing etc, i use the free 'paint' software on my computer, if you don't know how to use 'paint' go to youtube, and learn from the free tutorials. its a piece of cake!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I haven't logged in for a while so I didn't know that this thread had developed further. I'd just like to add that I applied for my visa on a Monday and it was approved and sent to me on the Thursday so I was quite impressed with their efficiency. 

• Thumbs Up 1