3 Detained Over Cambodian Boat Accident That Killed 11

geovalin

Authorities have detained two owners and the 15-year-old operator of a boat that sank, killing 11 children, Cambodian police said Saturday.

The small boat -- carrying students ages 12-15 back from an English class -- went down in the Mekong River late Thursday, floundering roughly 50 meters from its destination in southeastern Kandal province.

Local police chief Am Thou told AFP that three individuals had been detained for questioning over the incident.

"They may have to face legal action. We are looking into what charges they may face," he said.

The police chief added that the three had been sent to Kandal provincial police headquarters, where their next steps would be determined.

Local officials called off the search for survivors Saturday morning, with the death toll rising to 11.

Two adult boat operators and two students were rescued Friday.

Prime Minister Hun Sen warned people to be cautious during the heavy flooding that has raised the Mekong River's levels.

Such incidents are common in the Southeast Asian country, where people living along the river are often reliant on boats for transport.

https://www.voanews.com/a/detained-over-cambodian-boat-accident-that-killed-11-/6791096.html

three-detained-over-cambodian-boat-accident-that-killed-11-1665828911480.jpg.96613cdbe0a78fde6d1439d1cf50fda1.jpg

The small boat -- carrying students ages 12-15 back from an English class.

Quite sad.

At that age, my parents would take us to the cottage of my grandfather. With a few cousins, we used to be able cross the lake and back. (Parents did not know about that ????)

And I taught my son how to swim, supervised.

And here in this instance, they are trying to determine responsibilities for this tragedy, but only as far as the eye can see....