How Can We Help The Students?

We're all aware of troubled students- the ones who don't study but are smart, the ones who seem to be on drugs, the ones who are abused, the ones with emotional problems, mental disorders, or learning disabilities. We also know that the Thai schools provide very little in the way of professional support for those students or the teachers who teach them- counsellors, psychologists, social workers, and nurses are few and far between.

What can we do to try to help these students, given that we have so little support and we are not part of the "main system" at many schools? I don't have any easy solutions to suggest myself, though I may have a story or two along the way. What has worked? What can we try?

IJWT: I try to figure out what the problem is and then set sometype of goal (small goal) for those that I think I can help, or am willing to help. Also remember, we can't be all things to all people. Some students are a "pain" and I just find that it's too draining to do anything other than "my job" with them.

Here are some guidelines I try to follow for myself (and in assisting staff):

1. Behavioral problem students: These need to be dealt with rather firmly because they disrupt the class and cause others not to learn. Sometimes this is standing at the back of the class, moving them to another desk so they aren't with their friends. Short stints in the hallway or out of the classroom also works--especially if they are forced to explain why they were misbehaving. Gives a chance for a little one-on-one listening and speaking.

2. Intellectually challenged students: Those that are just really low functioning may never be able to learn English (in a regular classroom setting). As long as they are not disruptive, I let them plod along as best they can. Lots of positive reinforcement for whatever they do. Reading, copying from the board or book seems to work with some of these and they do get a little something.

3. Poorly motivated students: These can sometimes be the easiest to deal with because it's a matter of finding out what interests them. For a lot of the boys, sports can get them using the language. Newspaper's work well too. I let them see the pictures and most then want to at least read the caption. Sometimes it's rock starts--like Rain, Tata Young or movie stars. This provides an almost "explosion" of learning. Sometimes I find/see something in the Thai newspaper and bring it in and have them explain it to me. You can get a whole class talking sometimes.

The point is that most teachers have a "soft-spot" for some type of student: The boy with no friends, the girl with pimples, the slow learner, the kid with the chip on his shoulder. Those are the ones you need to target for yourself because you're motivated to help them. Since we all have different "soft-spots", we can cover a lot of disadvantaged students this way.

Best of luck to you.

We're all aware of troubled students- the ones who don't study but are smart, the ones who seem to be on drugs, the ones who are abused, the ones with emotional problems, mental disorders, or learning disabilities. We also know that the Thai schools provide very little in the way of professional support for those students or the teachers who teach them- counsellors, psychologists, social workers, and nurses are few and far between.

What can we do to try to help these students, given that we have so little support and we are not part of the "main system" at many schools? I don't have any easy solutions to suggest myself, though I may have a story or two along the way. What has worked? What can we try?

One thing I am trying to set up in my school is, to give free English lessons to underprivledged kids after school.

I have told the English department at my school, that I would teach for at least one evening a week free of charge to selected students. ( I know of one Thai teacher that does the same )

The English Department would be responsible in selecting the students, to make sure they are genuine hardship cases, that cannot afford private tuition.