PC, whirring fan

toast1

Had my Dell PC for a few years.

Now the fan has become very noisiy.

I can hear it whirring all the time, going up and down in intensity.

Never had this before.

When the PC is sleeping it continues through the night, without stopping.
I tried adjusting this in the settings so the fan would turn off sometimes, but this didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

13 minutes ago, toast1 said:

When the PC is sleeping it continues through the night, without stopping.

Unplugging the computer at night should stop the noise and give the  fan a rest. 

My fan is also very noisy on start up but stops after a minute. I have taken off the side panel and blown all the dust out ....no change. I also sprayed the fan with AF electrical spray ( alcohol based ) but still noisy on start up. 

But its being doing it a year and its only for the first minute so I've learnt to live with it.

Simple solution would be to take it to a repair shop and get a new fan. Pretty cheap.

Edited by Denim

yea, probably dust.

It's expensive, but there is a condensed (?) air in a bottle you can buy.  You probably could use a CO2 cartridge, like something a cyclist might use to inflate a tire fast.  

If it doesn't work, you can have someone from Advice put on some thermal paste and try to cool down your computer (if needed).   PC meaning laptop or desktop? 

This generally means it's the beginning of the end......but the end might not be for another year.

blast some air, try to cool it down more, if a desktop then maybe it's the power supply or need new fans or more fans or a software glitch...who knows.

download some software that will let you see your computer temperatures to check first...

worst case, do a clean install and try to do zero stress on the computer.....if the fans turn on and can't handle it, well, consider buying a new laptop next year.

need more info

31 minutes ago, plus7 said:

Hi,

I think this is the fan in power supply. Check simply order new fan on Lazada or buy in Tukkom. It is very easy to replace. You just need a screwdriver.

If it is a regular PC fan, then it's easy to replace it and no worry about getting an electrical shock.

If it is the fan in the power supply, then an amateur shouldn't do that because you can still get an electrical shock even if the PC is off and the power is disconnected.

• Like 1

Success.

Opened it up and it was full of fluff.

Cleaned it out and its now quiet.

I live in quite a dusty, polluted area, and I guess I should vacuum and manually clean it out with Q Tips once a year.

Thanks for the help.

• Thumbs Up 1

Problem with cleaning with air or vacuum is the gunk on the leading edge of the fan which will more than likely be sticky / greasy. This is whats causing the noise and poor performance. You really need to wipe it off probably with solvent or just replace the fan. Cheap as chips and usually easy to get to.

> Yyou have answered your own question so why post on here ??????!!!!!!

Most people here are really nice and helpful.

But, there's always one, who wants to make stupid, rude comments and make a nusance of themselves.

• Like 2

Kenny202

I vacuumed it out, but as you said the dust was quiet sticky, so I just wet some Q Tips, and took the rest out by hand.

Did a great job!

I'll be sure to do this anually from now on.

Thanks for the assistance 

Edited by toast1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, toast1 said:

> Yyou have answered your own question so why post on here ??????!!!!!!

Most people here are really nice and helpful.

But, there's always one, who wants to make stupid, rude comments and make a nusance of themselves.

Here here....you should see the Bangkok Classifieds on FB! Every single post someone trying to sell something at least 3 or 4 miserable tw@t's commenting the item looks like rubbish or price too high etc. How does a person get to that level of boredom / unhappiness where you have nothing better to do than gutlessly snipe at people from afar? I have never seen Thai's doing the same to each other

• Like 1

Isn't it something like

'Angry, miserable farang syndrome'?

You can find one in every bar.
They'll tell you how bad the Thais really are, how great tings used to be, how they're only interested in money and he knows what's really going on.

Edited by toast1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

You really need to wipe it off probably with solvent or just replace the fan. Cheap as chips and usually easy to get to.

And to avoid noise avoid cheap fans. Buy the better, more expensive, fans with ball bearings and RPM control. 

Have a look here:

https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/product_list/3/792

Obviously you don't need one with fancy colors and make sure you have the correct size.

4 hours ago, toast1 said:

Thanks for the quick response

I'll open it up and see how it is.

Get the vacuum out.

I've had a PC clog up from flood dust in the past, the fan was full of fluff.

Absolutely no vacuum. Never, ever vacuum a computer. It can build up an elecrostatic chock that can ruin the whole thing. I've worked in computer repair and have seen it happen countless times.

Doubtlessly, some individuals are going to chime in and say they've vacuumed their computers for 85 years without issue, but you wouldn't listen to a nutjob who says there's no issue with riding your motorcycle without a helmet, and neither should you listen to these people.

depending on how long you had your computer, you might also want to replace the thermal paste, both under CPU and GPU.
typically it should be done after 3-4 years, even if some paste has been reported to last for 8 years (arctic mx-4), but one rarely knows which type of paste has been used by the manufacturer. I've also seen really bad paste applications.

18 hours ago, toast1 said:

Success.

I live in quite a dusty, polluted area, and I guess I should vacuum and manually clean it out with Q Tips once a year.

Thanks for the help.

A small paintbrush works well for this purpose. Clean up the dust shaken loose, then give the blades a wipe with an alcohol pad.

18 hours ago, toast1 said:

Success.

Thanks for the help.

A small paintbrush works well for this purpose. Clean up the dust shaken loose, then give the blades a wipe with an alcohol pad.

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And to avoid noise avoid cheap fans. Buy the better, more expensive, fans with ball bearings and RPM control. 

Have a look here:

https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/product_list/3/792

Obviously you don't need one with fancy colors and make sure you have the correct size.

Yeah, don't cheap on the fan. I bought a Noctua from Aliexpess (Lazada a ripoff) for my CPU and it's been wonderful. MTTF > 150,000 hrs.

Got some other quiet, quality case fans on Aliexpress for reasonable prices. 

Edited by BigStar