Help! My Husband Wasn't Able To Get A Visa Extension In Chaing Mai

This experience was from four years ago. I went Vientene and obtained a non O. When the ninety days were over. I then applied for the and recieved a Annual visa. The process started from a Tourist visa. It's been over four years and thing could very well changed.

Also I qualifeid in all aspects as a single person.

Lop, what's your take on Hull's "Application for an O-A Visa?" http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/visas1.asp

I mentioned the Hull paper in another post so will not repeat other than to say there seemed to be some misunderstanding. I have never heard of anyone obtaining an O-A visa in Thailand. Nor do you require a police report. You submit one copy of a TM.7 form and financial documents/passport copies and are issued a one year extension of stay - if you plan travel you obtain a re-entry permit. Very simple procedure from a non immigrant O visa entry. From a 30 day visa exempt or tourist visa entry there is an extra step using a TM.86 or TM.87 to obtain the required non immigrant visa and that will cost an extra 2,000 baht. Still very simple process.

Maybe it is time to urge all to use correct terminology when asking for advice. Doing the research using the search function should get one sensitive to the difference between an entry permit and a visa. I was lost after OP switched her terminology, but my guess would be the husband entered on a permit and many have posted that going from an entry permit to a non-imm-O was problematic.

Lopburi3, what is your take on this often raised question. I am reluctant to rely on OP's take on what she is told by Chiang Mai Immigration due to her mixed terms.

Going from 30 day entry to non immigrant O visa is not a problem and OP seems to have done that on the basis of retirement for herself - but she also said she had retirement and I took that to mean Immigration had granted her a 12 month extension of stay. But I now believe all she has is the 90 day visa entry and will apply for retirement extension of stay later. That does not help her husband who does not meet retirement criteria (or family if she is not residing on a 12 month extension of stay). She seems to be adamant that she will not allow him leave and obtain a non immigrant O visa from a nearby Consulate, which was recommended, because of cost. Don't believe I can offer much more advise.

• 1 month later...
Your husband can not obtain a retirement extension of stay without meeting the conditions. He does not.

Explain he wants to use section 7.19 of National Police Order 606/2006 for his extension of stay (as member of your family) (you are using section 7.21 for retirement).

Links to the order are in pinned item at the top of this forum.

Dear Lopburi I am 54 and my husband 51...both british and retired and living in thailand. I have recently got my second extension of permission to stay for retirement purposes Aug 9th. My husband is on a Non imm O multiple entry from Hull expires Nov 21st 07. He went to Samui today to get a one year extension of permission to stay based on 7.19 of the National Police order (as a member of my family) and was told that as I was not 'a resident' of Thailand this did not apply and he would need his own 800,000 to get a retirment extension of stay.

I think I am misunderstanding something here... do we really have to provide two amounts of money...not from what I have read on Thai visa ...any advice would be gratefully received. Karen

Your husband can not obtain a retirement extension of stay without meeting the conditions. He does not.

Explain he wants to use section 7.19 of National Police Order 606/2006 for his extension of stay (as member of your family) (you are using section 7.21 for retirement).

Dear Lopburi I am 54 and my husband 51...both british and retired and living in thailand. I have recently got my second extension of permission to stay for retirement purposes Aug 9th. My husband is on a Non imm O multiple entry from Hull expires Nov 21st 07. He went to Samui today to get a one year extension of permission to stay based on 7.19 of the National Police order (as a member of my family) and was told that as I was not 'a resident' of Thailand this did not apply and he would need his own 800,000 to get a retirment extension of stay.

I think I am misunderstanding something here... do we really have to provide two amounts of money...not from what I have read on Thai visa ...any advice would be gratefully received. Karen

Karen. You have gone down this road before and got nowhere. You were advised to try another office as Samui do not apear to know the law. As long as you keep going to Samui you will get nowhere.

Sorry but I think that is the only thing you can do.

Karen. You have gone down this road before and got nowhere. You were advised to try another office as Samui do not apear to know the law. As long as you keep going to Samui you will get nowhere.

Sorry but I think that is the only thing you can do.

Yes well LiteBeer I did get my extension of stay from Samui (in spite of previous doubtmongering) from the same officer. Obviously Samui is the closest office for us as we stay on Koh Phangan. The law seemed perfectly clear to me and I am just amazed at their mis interpretation. Especially when the same officer told my husband to talk to a lady this morning ...and she took him outside the office, phoned a lawyer and said he could have the visa today if he came to the office and filled out some forms and paid them 10,000 baht!!! I think we will have to pay twice for the convenience of using our local office certainly not paying a lawyer 10,000 baht to get it for us. I just wish to comply with the law but as so many people say...difficult when the goalposts keep moving

Out of curiosity, and if you don't mind, what did you pay for your retirement TM.7 one year extension of stay? We have seen a number of reports that did not correspond to the normal 1,900 baht fee being charged.