How To Go Back To The Old Windows Media Player

MrSnrang

After a reinstall of windows I discovered that it had WMP11. I tried using it but I just hate the interface, color scheme, it feels like a downgrade from WMP9/10.

I tried Winamp but I never really liked it because it's quite cluttered to me.

I tried to install WMP9 but it says I can't because there is a newer version, how can I install this?

Try installing Media Player Classic, and default all media to open with it. It's truly a classic interface, with none of the fancy features of Media Player. It also has a lot more options for playback. You can get it by itself (from sourceforge) or you can get it with K-lite mega codec pack (recommended).

Try installing Media Player Classic, and default all media to open with it. It's truly a classic interface, with none of the fancy features of Media Player. It also has a lot more options for playback. You can get it by itself (from sourceforge) or you can get it with K-lite mega codec pack (recommended).

I prefer the Combined Community Codec Pack which also includes media player classic, is freeware, and includes a couple other players too. Don't forget to get real alternative and quicktime alternative too. (VLC media player is another great piece of freeware everyone should have.)

But how good are MPC/VLC at organizing thousands of songs?

I've only used it when WMP can't load a movie and I sometimes use VLC on my flash drive at school.

For music I use foobar. It's another piece of open source software that is light and does the job without clogging up you system with a bunch of junk. Amazingly enough the free software nowadays is often better than the paid stuff. It's a shame most people don't know it.

• 1 month later...
It isn't there, and if I pick add/remove windows components and uncheck it I still can't install the old version.

It seems that this is like IE6.

Hi ive had the same problem in the past.When going to add/remove programs,It should offer a rollback feature when trying to remove.(It worked for me good luck)

Windows Media Player is in the "Remove/Add Windows Components" list, it's on the left in the Add/Remove programs menu.

Beware - Wimp, as well as Internet Explorer, are essential parts of the operating system (as a defence against ati-monopoly litigations) so fiddling with them can bring out lots of undesirable side effects.

Just get yourself another player.

I did this for the same reason I hated the 11 version all the album covers a eye candy is a waste of bits. Did you get it in the updates site. if so and it won't remove purhaps roll back ie restore if your not to far down the road. Thats what I did after about ten minutes of seeing version 11.