Bivalent Covid Vaccine in Thailand?

TravelerEastWest

Udon Thani Bangkok Hospital took deposits about a year ago for Midernas second generation (Bivalent). vaccines.  I got 3 for about 1800 each.  My wife has a reciept.

Reminds me I better call and find out when they are expected. 

It was such a disasterous rollout for people who had pre ordered vaccines a few years back.  The Thai Red Cross ended up taking 40% of the delivery to resell and it seemed the government was determined to make it very difficult unless it was Sinovac or Astra.

Hopefully smoother this time around. 

Edited by MrJ2U

14 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Udon Thani Bangkok Hospital took deposits about a year ago for Midernas second generation (Bivalent). vaccines.  I got 3 for about 1800 each.  My wife has a reciept.

It was such a disasterous rollout for people who had pre ordered vaccines a few years back.  The Thai Red Cross ended up taking 40% of the delivery to resell and it seemed the government was determined to make it very difficult unless it was Sinovac or Astra.

I live in the North and myself and many expats got two shots of AZ from the local hospital without any drama and for free.

Later got a Moderna which had been pre ordered and paid for plus another Modena for free.

Sinovac  never mentioned.

7 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I live in the North and myself and many expats got two shots of AZ from the local hospital without any drama and for free.

Later got a Moderna which had been pre ordered and paid for plus another Modena for free.

Sinovac  never mentioned.

Thailand had a terrible start to the vaccine rollout initially.

"The outbreaks has highlighted criticisms of the country's vaccine programme for an over-reliance on AstraZeneca shots produced by royal-owned Siam Bioscience, a slow roll-out and a confusing registration system"

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-starts-long-awaited-covid-19-vaccination-drive-2021-06-07/

Luckily the US donated 1,000,000 Pfeizer vaccine's to help alleviate the dearth of vaccines available.

Perhaps you were in the right place at the right time. I live in the Northeast and had to travel to Bangkok to get Pfeizer and Moderna boosters.

Anutin's plan was to aquire vaccines later as he thought they would be cheaper.  They weren't and vaccines were difficult to aquire with long waiting lists.

"When the coronavirus threatened to spread across Thailand a year ago, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul shocked the country's doctors by scoffing at warnings and describing the deadly COVID-19 as "a common cold."

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Turbulent-Thailand/Thailand-s-vaccine-failures-anger-Prayuth-s-business-support-base

5 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Thailand had a terrible start to the vaccine rollout initially.

"The outbreaks has highlighted criticisms of the country's vaccine programme for an over-reliance on AstraZeneca shots produced by royal-owned Siam Bioscience, a slow roll-out and a confusing registration system"

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-starts-long-awaited-covid-19-vaccination-drive-2021-06-07/

Luckily the US donated 1,000,000 Pfeizer vaccine's to help alleviate the dearth of vaccines available.

Perhaps you were in the right place at the right time. I live in the Northeast and had to travel to Bangkok to get Pfeizer and Moderna boosters.

Anutin's plan was to aquire vaccines later as he thought they would be cheaper.  They weren't and vaccines were difficult to aquire with long waiting lists.

"When the coronavirus threatened to spread across Thailand a year ago, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul shocked the country's doctors by scoffing at warnings and describing the deadly COVID-19 as "a common cold."

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Turbulent-Thailand/Thailand-s-vaccine-failures-anger-Prayuth-s-business-support-base

Good to review all this.

People forget to quickly

• Love It 1

16 hours ago, Lorry said:

Why should it be smoother now?

Yep.

These fools couldn't order a cheeseburger from a McDonald's drive-through window.

It will probably be easier and faster for me to wait until my next trip to the U.S. to get the booster.

20 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Perfect this is the information that I needed!

22 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Your comment above about the UD hospital supposedly taking deposits a year ago for the second gen (bivalent) Moderna vaccine seems a bit hard to fathom...

Because, that 2nd gen vaccine didn't even exist a year ago, and certainly hadn't been approved for use anywhere in the world a year ago, including Thailand.  A year ago, Thailand was barely doing their use of the original, first gen Moderna vaccine.

I'm guessing your memory of that actually involved the original Moderna vaccine rollout in Thailand, as the new 2nd gen bivalent Moderna vaccine only received its initial approvals from the UK and US in the past two months.

UK:

First bivalent COVID-19 booster vaccine approved by UK medicines regulator

The adapted COVID-19 vaccine made by Moderna targets two different coronavirus variants: the original virus from 2020 and the Omicron variant

Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency

15 August 2022

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/first-bivalent-covid-19-booster-vaccine-approved-by-uk-medicines-regulator

U.S.:

FDA Authorizes Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech Bivalent COVID-19 Vaccines for Use as a Booster Dose

August 31, 2022

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-moderna-pfizer-biontech-bivalent-covid-19-vaccines-use

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

deposits a year ago for the second gen (bivalent) Moderna vaccine seems a bit hard to fa

There deposits for when they would eventually get them.  They weren't calling them Bivalent at the time but second generation.  

Hopefully it will be coming sooner than later.  I think Thailand is going to rely on it's own locally produced vaccines. 

I'll need to contact them tomorrow.  I'll get back to you with their reply once I find out.  

At the other spectrum I don't think many people are concerned as they were initially. Personally I believe in being vaccinated along with my entire family. 

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Your comment above about the UD hospital supposedly taking deposits a year ago for the second gen (bivalent) Moderna vaccine seems a bit hard to fathom...

Because, that 2nd gen vaccine didn't even exist a year ago, and certainly hadn't been approved for use anywhere in the world a year ago, including Thailand.  A year ago, Thailand was barely doing their use of the original, first gen Moderna vaccine.

I'm guessing your memory of that actually involved the original Moderna vaccine rollout in Thailand, as the new 2nd gen bivalent Moderna vaccine only received its initial approvals from the UK and US in the past two months.

UK:

First bivalent COVID-19 booster vaccine approved by UK medicines regulator

The adapted COVID-19 vaccine made by Moderna targets two different coronavirus variants: the original virus from 2020 and the Omicron variant

Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency

15 August 2022

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/first-bivalent-covid-19-booster-vaccine-approved-by-uk-medicines-regulator

U.S.:

FDA Authorizes Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech Bivalent COVID-19 Vaccines for Use as a Booster Dose

August 31, 2022

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-moderna-pfizer-biontech-bivalent-covid-19-vaccines-use

Your right.

There calling it LOT #2.  1800 baht for the same old Moderna you can get free everywhere else.

I feel totally conned.

No refunds or exchanges.

Thainess. 

On 10/24/2022 at 6:16 AM, rwill said:

Then there is Pfizer saying that they will charge $110- $130 per dose once current contracts expire.

Pfizer expects to hike U.S. COVID vaccine price to $110-$130 per dose (yahoo.com)

It's a small price to pay to make sure that you will be fully immune to Covid and to be sure you'll never pass it along to granny.  The philanthropic pharmaceutical companies were literally giving away the vaccines in order to save humanity, and as such, the companies executives have lost fortunes no doubt.  They should be able to recoup their personal losses.  I think the shots would be fairly prices at twice as much.

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comments removed
  • Haha 1

Just this week, U.S. news is reporting on two small studies showing that the new bivalent booster isn't much better than the original Moderna and Pfizer vaccines in boosting immunity.  https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/10/25/business/omicron-boosters-not-much-better-against-variants-than-originals-say-two-small-studies/

While the new Pfizer and Moderna vaccines do a great job of preventing Covid, one big drawback of these two vaccines is that they don't give long-lasting immunity and do need to be boosted.  So if it's been six months or more since your most recent Covid shot, then waiting for the new bivalent vaccine to come to Thailand isn't a good idea.  Go get the "old" Moderna or Pfizer vaccine.  They do a good job of boosting immunity, too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NancyL said:

Just this week, U.S. news is reporting on two small studies showing that the new bivalent booster isn't much better than the original Moderna and Pfizer vaccines in boosting immunity.  https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/10/25/business/omicron-boosters-not-much-better-against-variants-than-originals-say-two-small-studies/

While the new Pfizer and Moderna vaccines do a great job of preventing Covid, one big drawback of these two vaccines is that they don't give long-lasting immunity and do need to be boosted.  So if it's been six months or more since your most recent Covid shot, then waiting for the new bivalent vaccine to come to Thailand isn't a good idea.  Go get the "old" Moderna or Pfizer vaccine.  They do a good job of boosting immunity, too.

Do you think if we` have had four shots total Moderna and Pfizer then every six months boosters are still needed?

36 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Do you think if we` have had four shots total Moderna and Pfizer then every six months boosters are still needed?

As things stand right now, the current, original vaccines have been shown to be quite effective in preventing/reducing the risks of COVID death, hospitalization and serious illness during the first several months post injection. But those protections have been shown to begin waning substantially by the time people get about 4 months post injection, particularly with the current Omicron variants.

Thus getting another booster is generally recommended after four months, because the booster will restore the original levels of protections. And various governments, I believe, plan to start using the newer bivalent vaccines as boosters for people who've already had their original two shots.

The new vaccines are supposed to be more effective against the currently circulating Omicron variants. But the initial early reports on whether they really are more effective than their predecessors have been mixed. If they end up being not more effective, then in all likelihood, they'll be at least as effective as the original vaccines.

So either way, boosting one's protections with one vaccine or the other would seem warranted, particularly if the person is older (advanced age alone is the greatest risk factor) or has any of the other various medical conditions that put them at greater risk for serious COVID illness.

• Thanks 1

Just chiming in here.  Had my first Moderna booster mid-February (8.5 months ago), but I've been putting off getting the second while hospitalizations rates have been very low in Thailand.   I am going to get the second booster now, because:

a) it's available walk-in through the 31st Oct at Bamrungrad (900B), 

b) it will give me that extra bit of protection for the next few months -- through the peak Covid season, if there is one this year.

-- Retiree

On 10/27/2022 at 3:34 PM, NancyL said:

I think you are most certainly correct in what you say. However nobody in government or the medical profession seems to be giving advice on this issue.In short if one has had the two jabs and subsequently two boosters, should we (the over 50's and other vulnerable groups) - after six months from the date of the last jab - now be getting a third booster?

May not be so easy as I have impression stocks are running out or "mot welaa."

56 minutes ago, jayboy said:

should we (the over 50's and other vulnerable groups) - after six months from the date of the last jab - now be getting a third booster?

May not be so easy as I have impression stocks are running out or "mot welaa."

The answer to your question above is YES... especially for the over 50s and other vulnerable groups. Anytime more than 4 months after your last prior vaccination is time for a new booster.

The only looming question is how soon the newer bivalent vaccines are likely to arrive in Thailand. At this point nearing the beginning of November, it seems pretty certain that's likely to be more than 4 months from now... Meaning someone already due for a booster shot now shouldn't wait...

Hopefully, the Thai government in the months ahead will make something public giving a better idea of just when the bivalent boosters are going to become available here...

As for stocks, at least in Bangkok, the Thai government is continuing to offer free vaccinations, including boosters for farangs, at various locations on various days... So there doesn't appear to be any shortage of supply at least here in BKK... And some of the private hospitals lately have been offering discounts on their stocks of the original Moderna vaccines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, retiree said:

next few months -- through the peak Covid season, if there is one this year.

What makes you think the next few months are peak Covid season? 

(I had my last - 4th - antigen contact in February, too, infection  after 3 vaccinations last year. Last vaccination was only 2 months before infection, so the infection in February may not count as a new immunological event. Anyway, I am thinking when to get my next booster...)

6 hours ago, Lorry said:

What makes you think the next few months are peak Covid season? 

The US (and UK) the last two years had peak hospitalizations mid-January, so infections a bit earlier.  And I think December is historically the top month for tourist arrivals.   "Winter" hasn't been a peak season for Covid in Thailand, but with loosened controls this year ... 

-- Retiree.

https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen&state=1&mid=%2Fm%2F09c7w0

image.png

On 10/27/2022 at 11:01 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As things stand right now, the current, original vaccines have been shown to be quite effective in preventing/reducing the risks of COVID death, hospitalization and serious illness during the first several months post injection. But those protections have been shown to begin waning substantially by the time people get about 4 months post injection, particularly with the current Omicron variants.

Thus getting another booster is generally recommended after four months, because the booster will restore the original levels of protections. And various governments, I believe, plan to start using the newer bivalent vaccines as boosters for people who've already had their original two shots.

The new vaccines are supposed to be more effective against the currently circulating Omicron variants. But the initial early reports on whether they really are more effective than their predecessors have been mixed. If they end up being not more effective, then in all likelihood, they'll be at least as effective as the original vaccines.

So either way, boosting one's protections with one vaccine or the other would seem warranted, particularly if the person is older (advanced age alone is the greatest risk factor) or has any of the other various medical conditions that put them at greater risk for serious COVID illness.

Thank you just the information that I need.

I am in Chiang mai and will start looking around for where I can get it...