Recommendations for a Pet Funeral / Cremation Place

Dart12

Hi.  Our furry family member had a totally unexpected heart attack and passed away last night.  

She should have had another good 12-15 years to live so this has been devastating to the family.

Had no signs of illness.

Anyways, what are my options in town here in Pattaya.  Close to Central/ Pratamnuk preferred.

So far I've found Thai Pet Center.  Which seems nice, but is over 15 kilometers away and we'll have to visit twice.   

Really that's the only negative I see with them.  Also the most expensive, but wouldn't care if they were only 5 kilometers away 

Other option is the hospital, which seems a little cold.

I'm also told the temple in Jomtien does this. 

But have no info on what that would be like or what we'd do for that if anyone can share information on that here in the forum.

Thank you for your help in advance.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Go to your local Wat and ask. They will know. 

Snowy2.jpg

This is Bangkok.

Edit: at the wat on soi 16 Nakluaroad a small cremation oven for pets ask there.

Wat Khaotong at end of Soi Siam will do, they did for my fave dog.

https://aseannow.com/topic/654369-cremation-in-pattaya/

Yes, the gf would like something more like this.  It's a little more soothing than dropping off a box at the hospital and leaving.

She was a loved family member and will be treated as so in death as in life. 

is there a way to find a LINE id or phone number or something where I can get information on how to arrange?

(or maybe you even have more precise location)

or how do I research WATS local to me?

Edited by Dart12

47 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

or how do I research WATS local to me?

Open google maps. Type in your address. then search for WAT. Walk to the nearest one and show them my picture. They will tell you where. If in doubt get them to write it on a piece of paper which you can show to taxi driver.

I'm sure there are more hitech ways but...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

they did for my fave dog.

If there's money involved of course they would. All started 10 years ago. 

The Wat Klong Toei Nai temple in Bangkok was the first temple in Thailand to begin offering pet cremation, 10 years ago, and it remains one of the few in the country that provides the service.

https://www.thestar.com.my/lifestyle/living/2018/12/22/thai-temple-pet-cremation

• Thanks 1

When our dog was put down we contacted www.thaipetcare.net.  

They are north of town, but they went and picked up the dog from the vet for a small fee as it was too difficult for us to deal with.  They collected her, cremated her and delivered the ashes to us.  

Sorry for your loss. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

38 minutes ago, action said:

When our dog was put down

You managed to find a vet that put your dog down?  I'm amazed.

Pet euthanasia is in conflict with Buddhist beliefs especially, and finding a vet to put your pet down can be difficult, especially if you're in a predominantly Thai area.

https://thairesidential.com/pets-vets-and-veterinarian-clinics-in-phuket/#:~:text=But things are a little,in a predominantly Thai area.

2 hours ago, rwill said:

When one of our dogs died our vet knew of a Wat that cremated pets.  You could ask your vet.

They wanted one or two thousand baht for the service which included a short prayer from a monk.

Plus we donated them some dog food.  

May be an image of 1 person

That's what we are looking for.  What WAT did you attend?  Na Klua seems to be the only one mentioned here or by Vet

2 hours ago, action said:

When our dog was put down we contacted www.thaipetcare.net.  

They are north of town, but they went and picked up the dog from the vet for a small fee as it was too difficult for us to deal with.  They collected her, cremated her and delivered the ashes to us.  

Sorry for your loss. 

ok.  that might put the back in the running.  On their site they say we have to come back personally to pick up the remains.  1 hour each way (with no traffic) and the resulting gouging taxi fairs make it less attractive than if I can find something in central area (or the Na Klua WAt if they offer small service).

6 hours ago, Dart12 said:

That's what we are looking for.  What WAT did you attend?  Na Klua seems to be the only one mentioned here or by Vet

I'm sorry.  I was just recommending talking to your Vet about it.  I live in Ratchaburi.

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2022 at 7:59 AM, In the jungle said:

Do you have a garden?

My much loved cat died at the age of sixteen years old a few years back.  She was buried in the garden and a rose bush marks her grave.

I confess I cried as she was buried.  The first time in many years.  I was the only one to do so.

I have a big garden ( 3 rai ) i must have about 7 or animals burried there, nice to have them burried at their home.

If you're putting an animal to sleep ( not this case ) but plaese be present so that you're the last face that animal sees and it does not go to sleep surrounded by strangers feeling scared and lonely.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

16 hours ago, PJ71 said:

I have a big garden ( 3 rai ) i must have about 7 or animals burried there, nice to have them burried at their home.

If you're putting an animal to sleep ( not this case ) but plaese be present so that you're the last face that animal sees and it does not go to sleep surrounded by strangers feeling scared and lonely.

It breaks my heart that I wasn't there when her heart attack happened.  I'm always home and she was always next to me.  Maybe if I was there I could have gotten her help soon enough as she wasn't old.  Or at least she been comforted having me near at the end instead of alone.

Odd how we push human qualities to our pets isn't it?

• Like 1

UPDATE: 

My vet recommended /menitons WAT Nong Yai in Pattaya.  Said she had another customer have their pet cremated for 500 baht.

we called them, and they hung up before we could get any questions answered.

Had the vet call them back and she said they said to just show up and tell them what you want and they'll take care of it.

We got there and they were all a little confused.  However, they were completely willing to throw her into a dumpster furnace and burn her up.

Obviously this is not what we were expecting or wanting.

So I bit the bullet and we  took the long taxi to to Thai Pet Care as we knew exactly what we could expect upon showing up.

They were very nice, gave us time to say goodbye, said a little prayer.  We also had the option of adding a monk to say a prayer for an additional 1000 to 1500.  (price we paid was 2300 for what we did).

They are delivering the ashes to us in an urn for a small fee of 200 baht extra today so we don't have to make 2 trips.  They will also pick up your pet from your home or vet if you do not want to participate in any of the cremation.

Was it the Sistine Chapel? no.  But it was nice enough as a nice goodbye to a beloved family member instead of just dropping her off in a box at the vet.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 8:32 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

You managed to find a vet that put your dog down?  I'm amazed.

She had cancer and had a tumor in her ear.  She had surgery 3 times to remove the tumor, then a 4th time to remove her ear completely.  She went through some intensive chemo twice.  Then the tumor grew back again, about the size of a tennis ball, hanging off the side of her head, bleeding all the time etc...  Our vet did EVERYTHING to not put the dog down, but it was a situation where the vet knew it had to be done.  The vet said the dog probably wouldn't survive another surgery and even if we did it would just keep growing back.  There really wasn't any other option.  

People do ask me where we had it done but I won't recommend it because it isn't "A vet who puts dogs down".  I think it was as hard for the vet as it was for us.

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Okay I understand why vets don't like to put animals down but couldn't there be a compromise in that the vets rigs up the paraphernalia to do the deed but the pet owner delivers the 'coup de grace'.

My Mrs found a place on The Railway Line Bypass Rd that would do our sick cat.....rather than a quick OD jab of whatever, they set up an IV. Jeez I was upset!