Drinking Water Filter System Recommendations?

waters

2 hours ago, cmjc said:

Indeed, add to that the multiple recent earth tremors in Thailand and Burma, and see what that does to idealized thoughts of sealed aquafers and "uncontaminated" water.

I think your concerns are unfounded.

Are you residing on/next to the geological fault?

It takes a long time for any geological structure to form.

Why would the recent tremors affect the existing aquifers?

Thailand's seismic activity is not a recent development.

It was an ongoing process for at least the last few millions years.

16 hours ago, waters said:

This unit looks very good - but I have no idea what Philip's reputation is like in Thailand.

I'm only familiar with Philips LED bulbs and lights which are considered to be good.

All of them are manufactured in China.

As for the undercounter RO units.

I don't think there's much of a difference between the linked RO filtration units, at least in the filter materials.

More likely than not all of them are using the same RO membranes.

e.g. the Xiaomi RO membrane material is a GE product made in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VpNUJExyY8

filter.PNG

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 10:05 AM, unheard said:

I think your concerns are unfounded.

Are you residing on/next to the geological fault?

It takes a long time for any geological structure to form.

Why would the recent tremors affect the existing aquifers?

Thailand's seismic activity is not a recent development.

It was an ongoing process for at least the last few millions years.

Interesting, though somewhat naïve reasoning, that I suspect will be severely challenged by what you discover when you steel your resolve to actually go, and look at your local water "purifying" set up, then ask to see their regular laboratory reports. ????

Others are encouraged to do the same, and post snaps in this thread for us all to see.

6 hours ago, cmjc said:

Interesting, though somewhat naïve reasoning

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

I've paid for a comprehensive water test of my well water.

That's how I became aware of its quality and if it's suitable for drinking without any treatment.

Even significantly contaminated water can be purified to make it safe to drink via robust enough RO systems.

I'm sure you're aware of common now commercial desalination plants or "toilet to tap" purification systems.

https://borgenproject.org/toilet-to-tap-drink-water/

I'd agree with you on the point that it's impossible to judge the quality of the local companies selling RO purified water without paying for a test.

But even then one can not be sure of their production consistency and especially of their bottle cleaning processes.

And how is it different from the west?

Edited by unheard

On 10/25/2022 at 7:32 PM, unheard said:

If they're not obligated to display test results, then they certainly won't do that even if they regularly test their output.

Yes, I've tested my drinking water at a Bangkok lab, at my own expense.

Would you mind sharing the lab details? (no worries if not - or DM?)

Philips have a new model available in Thailand - an RO system that includes re-mineralization, and a tank, in a combined under-the-counter form factor. It's so new (I think) that the Philips page doesn't have a photo yet, although HomePro does...

https://www.philips.co.th/c-p/AUT7000_67/aquashield-under-the-sink-water-purifier
https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1202045

We'll go and take a look at HomePro. My first thought is  - what's the tank made of? Probably not too serious an issue, but if it's plastic, I'd be worried about leached chemicals from the plastic tank (as opposed to the steel tanks in the 'typical' RO systems shown here and elsewhere).

11 hours ago, waters said:

Philips have a new model available in Thailand - an RO system that includes re-mineralization, and a tank, in a combined under-the-counter form factor. It's so new (I think) that the Philips page doesn't have a photo yet, although HomePro does...

https://www.philips.co.th/c-p/AUT7000_67/aquashield-under-the-sink-water-purifier
https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1202045

We'll go and take a look at HomePro. My first thought is  - what's the tank made of? Probably not too serious an issue, but if it's plastic, I'd be worried about leached chemicals from the plastic tank (as opposed to the steel tanks in the 'typical' RO systems shown here and elsewhere).

A 4 stage filter at 4 and 1/2 times the cost of this 6 stage filter?  Guess it is all in the name.

https://www.google.com/aclk

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

A 4 stage filter at 4 and 1/2 times the cost of this 6 stage filter?  Guess it is all in the name.

The Chinese MG car has very similar in function 4 wheels, engine and a steering wheel, gets you from A to B and is 4-6 times cheaper than a similarly sized Merc.

Must be all in the name?

Edited by unheard
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2022 at 10:04 AM, lopburi3 said:

@lopburi3 - understood, and you're a 'fountain' of knowledge here in the forums - so thanks for taking the time to reply.

Our problem is space. We live in a condo in central Bangkok - and there might be enough room under our sink for the unit you've linked to - but I think not. We'll double check. The Philips unit (which has a small tank), and other tankless RO systems take up a fraction of the space. We're a household of three - two adults and one child - and we know roughly how much drinking water we consume each day - and unit that produces somewhat less water should be fine.

Our other option is to install a larger system on the other side of the wall - behind the sink, where our bathroom is - and then run the tap through the wall and out over the sink.  In this case we'd have a large RO unit attached to the wall in our bathroom (no idea where we'd place the tank) - and while I'm not foolish enough to believe entirely in form over function, there is also an aesthetic dimension. Although of course not if the 4 stage Philips unit is less safe that a 6 stage filter for Bangkok / condo tap water?

Thanks again ????

Edited by waters

13 minutes ago, waters said:

@lopburi3 - understood, and you're a 'fountain' of knowledge here in the forums - so thanks for taking the time to reply.

Our problem is space. We live in a condo in central Bangkok - and there might be enough room under our sink for the unit you've linked to - but I think not. We'll double check. The Philips unit (which has a small tank), and other tankless RO systems take up a fraction of the space. We're a household of three - two adults and one child - and we know roughly how much drinking water we consume each day - and unit that produces somewhat less water should be fine.

Our other option is to install a larger system on the other side of the wall - behind the sink, where our bathroom is - and then run the tap through the wall and out over the sink.  In this case we'd have a large RO unit attached to the wall in our bathroom (no idea where we'd place the tank) - and while I'm not foolish enough to believe entirely in form over function, there is also an aesthetic dimension. Although of course not if the 4 stage Philips unit is less safe that a 6stage filter for Bangkok / condo tap water?

Thanks again ????

It should work for you but would check for cheaper versions - if not using much water might be fine to just buy (although storage might be an issue).  We use for coffee/ice maker and water cooler so having storage tank very much wanted as RO direct is just a dribble (even with 3.5 bar pressure) and would take hours to fill up cooler jug.  As for safe Bangkok water is drinkable so really more a taste issue (although in condo storage could be a concern).  Perhaps a UV system could be more compact and give better flow at less cost?  Have not checked but UV can be quite effective.

Edited by lopburi3

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

We use for coffee/ice maker and water cooler so having storage tank very much wanted as RO direct is just a dribble (even with 3.5 bar pressure) and would take hours to fill up cooler jug.

Maybe just a dribble in "your" system.

4-6, or even 8 seconds in lower models required to fill up a glass is hardly a dribble.

models.jpg

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps a UV system could be more compact and give better flow at less cost?

UV systems are effective at elimination of bacterial loads and nothing else (when they work).

The UV bulbs need to be monitored for output and cleaned when necessary.

One of the reasons why UV systems are rarely used in pool sanitation - almost never on their own, usually only as a supplemental part.

UV works well in RO systems attached to storage tanks where they should be kept sanitized.

Edited by unheard

5 minutes ago, unheard said:

UV systems are effective at elimination of bacterial loads and nothing else (when they work).

The UV bulbs need to be monitored for output and cleaned when necessary.

One of the reasons why UV systems are rarely used in pool sanitation - almost never on their own, only as a supplemental system.

UV works well in RO systems where the storage tanks should be kept sanitized.

Understand that - some filter to remove chlorine would be logical if not using RO system - not just UV alone.

Edited by lopburi3

44 minutes ago, unheard said:

Maybe just a dribble in "your" system.

4-6, or even 8 seconds in lower models required to fill up a glass is hardly a dribble.

models.jpg

Indeed those systems are designed to filter about 10x the water per day as my unit - for OP they might be just the ticket as should take care of the space issue and provide water at a usable flow.  And cheaper than what he mentioned (which provides no specs yet).  Thanks - indeed higher price might be worth it with such output. 

I still remember the old drip ceramic things we had to use in India 50 years ago which took all night to - maybe - get a couple liters of water.  So 50 gal per day seems good to me.  Thanks again for the post.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-mijia-500g-ro-reverse-osmosis-i946540599-s1969552313.html

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Indeed those systems are designed to filter about 10x the water per day as my unit - for OP they might be just the ticket as should take care of the space issue and provide water at a usable flow.  And cheaper than what he mentioned (which provides no specs yet).  Thanks - indeed higher price might be worth it with such output.

With all due respect, we as consumers decide if the product is worth the price for our particular preferences and usage cases.

I think the OP is fully qualified to make that decision on his own, based on the information so far provided in this thread. ????

Edited by unheard

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Thanks - indeed higher price might be worth it with such output.

After re-reading your post...

I apologize If I have misread your statement assuming that it's been done with tongue-n-cheek.

I'm kind of used to very argumentative back-n-forth on this board. ????

29 minutes ago, unheard said:

After re-reading your post...

I apologize If I have misread your statement assuming that it's been done with tongue-n-cheek.

I'm kind of used to very argumentative back-n-forth on this board. ????

Had never had those come up when checking RO units so was not aware of current ability to have such flow.  Expect will buy myself at some point.  Really do thank you.

• 4 months later...
On 10/25/2022 at 12:41 PM, lopburi3 said:

This is an RO system that makes mineral water - I prefer non mineral as use for iron and coffee has better taste without so removed the final filter and unit works very well - all connections are well made and having first filter visible helps to remind that filter may need more than yearly change.  Have been using such systems for many years and believe product is great and cost is very little at about 2.5 to 3.5k.  I would buy the 5 filter system if no need for mineral water.

Link apparently has a shelf life and no longer works.  Could you repost?  Thx

• 9 months later...

Just wanna add that the systems you mentioned from Stiebel Eltron and the SimPure T1-400 seem like viable options. The SimPure T1-400, with its tankless design, can be a space-saver, but as you mentioned, filter availability might be a concern.

Gf has expensive system, eSpring by Amway, but it made me sick.

I went back to Nestle 6L cans, No more sick stomach.

Any similar experiences?

"EPSRING WATER TREATMENT SYSTEM

The Carbon Filter effectively removes more than 140 impurities yet retains beneficial minerals like calcium and magnesium, while the ultraviolet (UV) Lamp destroys up to 99.99% of bacteria and viruses in drinking water."

Hi there ...new guy in Thailand 
Does anyone in here process the water for their plants ?
Could be lettuce or hemp ... etc
I did that with my counter top Japanese Kangen water purifier that makes structured ph adjustable mountain water ...
Can make from 2.5 to 11 Ph and like 5 steps in between ...2 platinum plates electrolytes...the whole shabang in a portable size...
Kinda expensive, but the water also took away the pain in my moms legs ...use it for pesticides too ...clean 
Outta here 

kangen.jpg

On 12/8/2023 at 2:11 PM, Wunderno said:

Just wanna add that the systems you mentioned from Stiebel Eltron and the SimPure T1-400 seem like viable options. The SimPure T1-400, with its tankless design, can be a space-saver, but as you mentioned, filter availability might be a concern.

Also, if you're still exploring options, you can check out the VGRO-75 drinking water filter. Having a reliable filtration system can bring peace of mind regarding your family's drinking water quality.
I hope you've found the right solution for your needs and have successfully made the switch to a water filter system!

Edited by Wunderno

This is my setup.

From a 60m bore the water goes to the 3000L settlement tank where the water iron settles, then to two big filters, one EcoGlass (smashed plate glass) and one carbon.

From there to a Big Blue sediment filter.

This filtered water goes to the house and all the yard.

The water also goes to a 5 stage filter in the kitchen for drinking water.

Yard water goes to some sprinkler controllers set for 20 min in the morning and afternoon.

Initially I had the water tested and selected the filter medium from the water test results.

The submersible pump on/off is controlled by a float switch in the tank

Screenshot_20231212_092016_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_092037_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_092049_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_092104_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_092123_Facebook.jpg