Cha,am Info requested...

1FinickyOne

I spent a lot of time there around the year 2000 - - Does it still have its cha-arm? 

Visited once since then and the traffic was extreme going from the main road to the beach...

How are things now? Methavalai was a great place to stay.. has that aged out or still ok? I would like to visit and stay along the beach - any high end recommendations? 

Can you still sit on the beach and have vendors bring lovely foods? 

Is the fisherman village at the north end of town still a good place to eat? 

Edited by 1FinickyOne

If you have good memories from that time, I'm quite sure you will be disappointed ☹️ Because the colours will be brighter than it really was, and how Cha am have changed or what Cha Am have turned in to will not justify your memories. 

It is is same with every place you have good memories from back in time, no matter where it is. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Cha-am was ok til 2010. Ruined now.

Any details dude? Not that I doubt you - I have trouble finding a nice beach vacation because I was here in the '80s... there must be nice hotels on the beach? 

Is Pranburi or Prachuap the answer? 

17 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Any details dude? Not that I doubt you - I have trouble finding a nice beach vacation because I was here in the '80s... there must be nice hotels on the beach? 

Ban Krut maybe. Not been yet but going soon. Next door is Bang Saphan. South of PKK. I found a cheapo 500 baht not far from beach.

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Ban Krut maybe. Not been yet but going soon. Next door is Bang Saphan. South of PKK. I found a cheapo 500 baht not far from beach.

Was in Baan Sapaan many years ago - liked it but not much doing - not that I need much... from what I have heard, it is still quiet... 

6 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

was extreme going from the main road to the beach

Still a struggle on weekends and Holidays.

Traffic bad in the morning coming in and bad with people leaving the beach in the early evening.

Still fun if you can spend a few nights.

Usually a little cheaper than Hua Hin. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Pranburi is great and PKK is even better.  Great seafood places on the beach and a relaxing atmosphere.  Head past Wat Kao Lak and you have a nice 5km stretch of beach.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t worry Cha-am is still nice, still not many foreign tourists, but it looks that many will return in January and February, lesser Thai tourist because the high cost of living, but still very busy in the weekends.

There was just a busy festival on the beach for 9 days, 5-6 November a Harley Davidson festival, some shops and restaurants closed down, but nor many 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Methavalai is still there and looks the same,think a lot of the fishing village at the North end of the beach was pretty much cleared a few years ago but haven’t ventured down there yet this time. The Medsai restaurant on the beach next to the fishing village is still there and seems busy now. First time back in Cha-am for 3 years for us, been a few new buildings pop up but it hasn’t changed that much, still a good place to visit to relax.

• Thanks 1