Something rotten coming in at the port of Dover

3 minutes ago, proton said:

Yes we KNOW ????, but it could well have been referring to them, not immigrants, but illegal immigrants.

But it wasn’t, the article discusses the fact rotting meat is being shipped into the UK since Britain left the protection provided by EU regulation.

Somebody forgot to set up UK based import controls and criminals are taking advantage of the UK’s failure to check goods entering the country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But it wasn’t, the article discusses the fact rotting meat is being shipped into the UK since Britain left the protection provided by EU regulation.

Please provide the quote in the article which says that!

What it says is;

“None of this food meets EU requirements and shouldn’t be coming in. It is illegal for the UK market. It highlights why it is wrong to outsource our food and biosecurity controls to the EU.”

This meat either originated in the EU and/or was transferred into and then through the EU where it was detected by the UK Border Security inspections which would not have been allowed if the UK was still in the EU!

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Somebody forgot to set up UK based import controls

Who discovered this rotten meat using "import controls"?

Let me remind you - it was;  Drum roll please!!!!

"Port officials at Dover seized illegal products including maggot-ridden meat in a series of raids."

I wonder when and by whom those UK based import controls" were set up! 

According to you they don't exist!!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Who discovered this rotten meat using "import controls"?

Let me remind you - it was;  Drum roll please!!!!

"Port officials at Dover seized illegal products including maggot-ridden meat in a series of raids."

I wonder when and by whom those UK based import controls" were set up! 

According to you they don't exist!!!

From the article: ( underlined by me for your clarity)

The 24-hour crackdown earlier this month targed eatern European food lorries entering the UK. 

They searched 22 vehicles from Romanian, Moldovan, Ukraine and Poland with illegal meat imports found in 21.”. 

And:

“We need to remember that it is not 22 vehicles a day that enter the UK at Dover, but up to 10,000 vehicle movements across the Channel a day.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Please provide the quote in the article which says that!

What it says is;

“None of this food meets EU requirements and shouldn’t be coming in. It is illegal for the UK market. It highlights why it is wrong to outsource our food and biosecurity controls to the EU.”

This meat either originated in the EU and/or was transferred into and then through the EU where it was detected by the UK Border Security inspections which would not have been allowed if the UK was still in the EU!

Agreed, but the EU has no responsibility to check goods entering the UK.

And clearly a 24 hour crackdown tgat  searches 22 out of up-to 10,000 vehicles (less than a quarter of one percent) hardly qualifies as customs controls.

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And clearly a 24 hour crackdown tgat  searches 22 out of up-to 10,000 vehicles (less than a quarter of one percent) hardly qualifies as customs controls.

And those vehicles could NOT have been inspected if still in the EU!

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

From the article: ( underlined by me for your clarity)

The 24-hour crackdown earlier this month targed eatern European food lorries entering the UK. 

They searched 22 vehicles from Romanian, Moldovan, Ukraine and Poland with illegal meat imports found in 21.”. 

And:

“We need to remember that it is not 22 vehicles a day that enter the UK at Dover, but up to 10,000 vehicle movements across the Channel a day.”

Which is why they need to be inspected entering the UK, which could not have been done when still a member!

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That is why we left.  Now we can check them and appear to be so doing though according to you we have no such system in place!  I wonder how the checks at Dover were allowed to happen?

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Which is why they need to be inspected entering the UK, which could not have been done when still a member!

No.

When the UK was a member of the EU 

member states inspected goods being shipped to the UK to ensure they met EU Standards.

That ended with Brexit.

Alternative UK side inspections have not been put in place.

25 minutes ago, DezLez said:

That is why we left.  Now we can check them and appear to be so doing though according to you we have no such system in place!  I wonder how the checks at Dover were allowed to happen?

They were a ‘24 hour crack down’ (as stated in the article).

The UK has not yet put import controls in place to deal with the withdrawal from EU standards and regulations.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-scraps-plans-post-brexit-import-controls-2022-04-28/

35 minutes ago, DezLez said:

There was no need when the UK was a member, goods headed to the UK were already being checked by source EU nation.

Now they are not.

Result as reported above.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Somebody forgot to set up UK based import controls and criminals are taking advantage of the UK’s failure to check goods entering the country.

Both the above comments are false, and I have pointed them out to you with accurate quotes.  All you have done in your responses is twist words to try and justify them.

There is no point in having any discussion with people like  you as your left-wing pro Brexit anti Tory beliefs stop you from engaging in any form of rational discussion.

I will let you rant on in future without trying to point out, or ask for corrections, on your many misleading (I am being kind) statements/rants!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Both the above comments are false, and I have pointed them out to you with accurate quotes.  All you have done in your responses is twist words to try and justify them.

There is no point in having any discussion with people like  you as your left-wing pro Brexit anti Tory beliefs stop you from engaging in any form of rational discussion.

I will let you rant on in future without trying to point out, or ask for corrections, on your many misleading (I am being kind) statements/rants!

Please, I’m not ‘Pro-Brexit’. 

Meanwhile, there’s more:

Disease threat as UK waits for border control posts.”

https://www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/health-welfare/livestock-diseases/disease-threat-as-uk-waits-for-border-control-posts

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

It's so bad that £ has gone to 1•16 to $ OP chew on that. 

The only way that the OP will chew your info over is to chew it up and spit out random rubbish to mis-prove his agenda! There will be some half-baked retort that it would have been even better if (insert left wing phrase or word of choice!) had happened!

There really is no point in baiting the troll anymore!

49 minutes ago, DezLez said:

The only way that the OP will chew your info over is to chew it up and spit out random rubbish to mis-prove his agenda! There will be some half-baked retort that it would have been even better if (insert left wing phrase or word of choice!) had happened!

There really is no point in baiting the troll anymore!

ad hominem.