Adidas ends Ye deal over hate speech, costing rapper his billionaire status

Scott

image.png

Adidas ends Ye deal over hate speech, costing rapper his billionaire status

• Gap, Balenciaga have also cut ties with Ye

Oct 25 (Reuters) - Adidas AG (ADSGn.DE) terminated its partnership with rapper and fashion designer Ye on Tuesday after he made a series of antisemitic remarks, a move that knocked the musician off the Forbes list of the world's billionaires.

Adidas put the tie-up, which has produced several hot-selling Yeezy branded sneakers, under review this month.

"Adidas does not tolerate antisemitism and any other sort of hate speech," the German company said on Tuesday.

https://www.reuters.com/business/adidas-plans-end-kanye-west-partnership-after-controversies-bloomberg-news-2022-10-25/

image.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I would also add any Anti-Semitism and racism from any party including the conservatives but this is not on topic and you know it.

I would agree on your first point.

My main point was that it was the correct reaction from Adidas, my secondary point was that I hope it sets an example in other cases (such as voting). I thought that was clear. Comparisons are valid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well I'm not surprised you didn't include the republican party then as a fine example of Anti-Semitism and racism.

I'm English. Don't have too much interest in American politics so I used an example closer to home.

Anyway, back on topic it was good to see Kanye getting called out although I do suspect there might be some serious underlying mental health issues there that should be addressed. This is not the first time he's done something indicating a serious issue. 

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

You've also been prolific in US political threads so lets not try to play that card.

Good to see your back on topic though

Hardly prolific. I had some opinions on the Trump raid, can't remember being in many others for more than a couple of posts. They tend to be quite vitriolic if you're a neutral observer and don't follow the Democrat "progressive" narrative so I mostly avoid them.

I think Kanye is a republican isn't he? I seem to remember he was going to run for President a couple of years ago. That would have been interesting. He certainly appears quite delusional a lot of the time. Adidas are probably better off without him although I have friends who swear that Yeezy model is the comfiest shoe ever.

25 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You know full well West is MAGA. Trump and him two peas in a pod with their Anti-Semitism rhetoric. 

What is MAGA?

I didn't know Trump was anti-semitic. Could you provide links to prove this? I'd be very interested to know.

For sure Kanye is though. Never really liked him to be honest. I think he claimed he was God at one point.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

How is Trump antisemitic?

I didn't actually claim he was antisemitic. 

In the past week, several antisemitic comments from public figures, including former President Trump and Ye, have sparked concern about the real-world implications of the statements. 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/antisemitic-comments-from-public-figures-spark-concern-over-real-world-implications

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

What is MAGA?

I didn't know Trump was anti-semitic. Could you provide links to prove this? I'd be very interested to know.

For sure Kanye is though. Never really liked him to be honest. I think he claimed he was God at one point.

No of course you didn't

image.png.2ef894d73de8bfeb0a184ea50d488f05.png

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

There may actually be an element of truth to that. The blatant misogyny, homophobia, sexism, glorifying of gun violence etc. so rife in hip hop never seems to get mentioned. As soon as a Republican black guy says something out of line he is crucified. 

What Kanye said was 100% wrong, but it does seem curious the way he has been singled out in comparison to other black males. I wonder if it could be due to his political beliefs? Never really thought about it before but an interesting theory for sure. We all know how the left hate a black man that doesn't conform to their stereotypes and preconceptions of what a black man should be. What was it Biden said? "If you vote Trump, you ain't black" or something along those lines?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/22/us/politics/joe-biden-black-breakfast-club.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63050482

There’s a great deal of discussion on the use of misogyny, homophobia, sexism and glorifying gun violence in hip-hop.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogyny_in_rap_music

https://www.npr.org/2007/06/20/11223359/roundtable-homophobia-in-hip-hop

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Kayne West is a bigot who clearly also has mental health issues; he is also a racist, oh, wait a minute, I forgot that you can only be a racist these days if you are a white Caucasian ¯\_()_/¯

Kanye has admitted and talked openly about having bipolar disorder.  

In a recent interview, David Letterman helped the world find out more about musician Kanye West's bipolar disorder diagnosis and how it affects his daily life. West has shared little information about his mental health since he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and admitted to psychiatric care in 2016.

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/mental-health/kanye-west-opens-up-about-bipolar-diagnosis/

Racism is not limited to White people.  People of color can be racist as well.  In most Western countries, however, they have less power to affect the ability of whites to gain employment, enter a college/university and other events that affect daily life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I don't know if Kanye is a Republican or if he even has any core beliefs.  What is certain is that he's a Trump supporter.  During the 2020 election, he made a haphazard run for President in a childish ploy to siphon off black votes from the Dems.  It didn't go so well for Kanye or his buddy Trump.  Does he have mental issues?  Even his wife (ex) suggest that he does.  The fact that he's aligned himself with Trump would certainly suggest some defects upstairs.     

Mental issues don't give him a pass.

Antisemitism has already been on the increase quite dramatically, coming from the left and right, but mostly from the right.

Kanye (you can call him Ye) being a very major musical star, fashionista, and cultural influencer has basically thrown a lot of fuel on the fire.

Particularly on the sensitive issue of black American and Jewish American relations. 

Yes he is MAGA, not republican. They are not the same thing.

Add Kanye's Trump worship with Trump's history of antisemitism as well and you get a toxic brew.

Sure Kanye is being punished but as I predict another major spike in antisemitic hate crimes from both MAGA and non MAGA black Americans influenced my him plus the usual Nazi or Nazi adjacent fascists who will now feel they have permission to be even more explicit about their Jew hatred, any punishment he is getting isn't really nearly equivalent to the damage he has caused.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

What damage has he caused?

Fueling antisemitism. Making it even more acceptable for already antisemitic people to be more open about it and to express it which means more hate crimes including violent ones such as Synagogue attacks. BTW, I consider your question to be very questionable in intent. The answer was obvious.

To add if Joe Blow down the street is a Jew hater is one thing, but that of course is magnified exponentially in influence when major public personalities like Kanye (and Trump) express that.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1