Bank account for Visa

Hi guys, my friends needs your help. They have a house here in Nakom Phanom on a 30 year land lease, arrived this time on a non-immigration visa valid for 3 months. Every bank they have tried to open an account with have refused, most giving the reason they they have to have a 12 month visa to qualify. As he will be unable to get a 12 month extension without a bank account with 800,000 Baht in. How do they proceed ?. It’s a Catch 22 situation.

25 minutes ago, mirage said:

n. How do they proceed ?. It’s a Catch 22 situation

Catch 22 for this is good description.

You could try Kasikorn and hopefully with the non O bank may open account.

Alternative is to use agent. Approx 3k baht.

IMO saves the mucking about. 

Be aware that only 3 banks now do transfers (of large amounts) using WISE.

Suggest one of these banks best option 

Agents often use BANGKOK BANK. 

From WISE ....

You can send up to 2 million THB per transfer.

Please note that you’ll be able to send 50,000 THB or above per transfer only to the following banks starting from 7 January 2022 due to regulatory changes:

• Bangkok Bank Public Company

• Kasikorn Bank

• Siam Commercial Bank

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If his wife is Thai she may be able to be his reference to open the account.

Or he could get a certificate of residency at immigration that the bank should accept.

Did he try opening a account at Bangkok bank?

They are both English. Just called them and they will go back to immigration to try and get the certificate of residency. Thanks will keep you updated.

34 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Catch 22 for this is good description.

You could try Kasikorn and hopefully with the non O bank may open account.

Alternative is to use agent. Approx 3k baht.

IMO saves the mucking about. 

Be aware that only 3 banks now do transfers (of large amounts) using WISE.

Suggest one of these banks best option 

Agents often use BANGKOK BANK. 

From WISE ....

You can send up to 2 million THB per transfer.

Please note that you’ll be able to send 50,000 THB or above per transfer only to the following banks starting from 7 January 2022 due to regulatory changes:

• Bangkok Bank Public Company

• Kasikorn Bank

• Siam Commercial Bank

Tried Kasikorn Bank and SCB both refuse. Agent may be the final answer, where to find an agent ?.

1 hour ago, mirage said:

How do they proceed

Get a Thai business person to accompany him to the bank they use. That will be of immense help. Failing that go to every branch of every bank making clear that the want to make a large opening deposit. Note that they will need 2 accounts both with large deposits for the extension of stay.

Bangkok bank fixed term deposit account at central festival pattaya was no issues for me in january of this year, took chanute and explained it was for 800k deposit for extension for retiremnet, they tried to sell insurance i just said not need have already but i will take info to read, swap chanute for 30 year lease and give it a go at a Bangkok bank branch.

1 hour ago, mirage said:

Tried Kasikorn Bank and SCB both refuse. Agent may be the final answer, where to find an agent ?.

In Bangkok you could use any agent.

Examples:  ThaiVisaCenter, 

Siam Legal etc .

In places like Pattaya there are numerous options. 

• Like 1

I suspect the main reason is they are lazy/don't know how to fill in the forms, there is no reason why they can't open an account, they will just come up with a different excuse( need work permit, need mobile phone contract etc etc, There are usual travel /visa agents in most places, they might do it you will need to ask. Nakom Phanom is a bit remote for most agents, are there any expat bars/restaurants expats can have a lot of local knowledge,( they probably had the same issue themselves) they would know ant local facebook groups whatapp etc, it is annoying but just keep plugging away

Edited by howerde

8 hours ago, mirage said:

Strange that many posts have mentioned Bangkok Bank but it seems you did not visit them?

I opened an account in minutes at Bangkok Bank simply because I stated that I would like to buy the one year accident insurance for 5900 and I was on a tourist visa!

11 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

I opened an account in minutes at Bangkok Bank simply because I stated that I would like to buy the one year accident insurance for 5900 and I was on a tourist visa!

Surely a possibility.

So where was this account opened and when?!

Opened ended posts mean little.

Very easy to post where and when. 

Also visa status when you opened the bank account. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, CanadaSam said:

Bangkok Bank, on 2nd Road Jomtien, corner of Immigration Road, last year, tourist visa, covid extensions.

The OP is not dealing with Jomtien.

Apart from that reports recently that opening bank account in Pattaya required residence certificate.

Also reports that some got around that requirement in Chonburi.

In any event the OP does not deal with that district. 

7 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Strange that many posts have mentioned Bangkok Bank but it seems you did not visit them?

but you wasted 5,900 baht, with more effort you could have avoided that

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, mirage said:

They are both English. Just called them and they will go back to immigration to try and get the certificate of residency. Thanks will keep you updated.

The immigration refused the certificate of residency, they said can only have when they have a 12 month visa. That is not possible to get until they have a bank account with the 800,000 Baht in. I think the main problem is we are out in the rural area. I think the only option is a lawyer.

8 minutes ago, mirage said:

The immigration refused the certificate of residency, they said can only have when they have a 12 month visa. That is not possible to get until they have a bank account with the 800,000 Baht in. I think the main problem is we are out in the rural area. I think the only option is a lawyer.

It may be worthwhile going for a holiday in somewhere like Pattaya, Open an account, get your extension etc. Some of the pattaya agents can do it remotely.