Looking For A Good Visa Agent In Chiang Mai

sbathon

Pet peeve time: Far too many foreigners thinking they need an agent for even the most basic of official business. Really all that's needed is going over to the Immigration Office (preferably a somewhat quiet time) and ask what they require. Then get the documents, and apply.

There's not really much involved. You don't need to have an agent. Most will just rip you off.

Like said in previous post, go to the immigration office and get the required forms and fill them out yourself. The other paperwork you will need comes from YOU. No agent can do that for you. Example: marriage certificate, bank account(s), monthly income to support (maybe) and so on. Immigration should have a pamphlet on all the items you will need.

Just do the leg work yourself...

The first year I got a 1 Year Visa I used a visa agent who knew everyone at Immigration and it was smooth sailing all the way. The second year, I tried to do it myself and even though my Thai is OK, I don't know the name of all the documents, so that was a problem even though most were correct. The Immigration Officer made me come back over and over again and frankly treated me like a dog and finally asked me straight out why didn't I pay a Thai person to help me.

The next day, I came back with my bookkeeper who was telling me what I needed and giving me the documents and does this as a part-time job, but hadn't wanted to want to come with me because the wait is so long and boring. No problems after that and I brought her again this year and no problems again.

I wouldn't do it myself again unless I had no money at all. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

My experience has been very similiar to UG, and I have always gotten the impression that the people at immigration do not really like dealing directly with the falangs. I have never had a problem since I married a Thai, and she learned exactly what needs to be done and how to deal with them. I just sit and smile. If you are a Thai and are marrying a falang, I highly suggest that you learn how to deal with immigration yourself and make it as easy as you can for your spouse to stay here.

We went to CM immigration yesterday and today. Spoke with 2 people and they both acted as if they didn't want to talk to me!! I was very polite and respectful, but they really didn't engage in a dialoge to help me. I was there a total of about 7 hours.

I am a farang with visa-on-arrival. My farang spouse has a 1 year retirement extension to O visa.

I want to get a non-imm O and then extensions based on retirement income/bank account, but I haven't had 800,000 baht in bank for 3 months, so I hoped to get an non-imm O based on being a dependant. In 3 months I could get a retirement extension on my own.

CM said they could not give me a non-imm O based on being a dependant. They told me that they could give me a non-imm O if I met requirement for retirement extensions. I won't meet that for 3 months. :o

Anyone have any good advice??????

P.S. Chanchao, I've done many hours of leg work but no one seems to know the answers to this situation. I don't know if CM immigration is correct? There are regulations that allow what I want to do, but they don't seem to be aware of them. I my paperwork in hand, but it's the interpretation of the laws that I can't get.

Edited by sbathon

We went to CM immigration yesterday and today. Spoke with 2 people and they both acted as if they didn't want to talk to me!! I was very polite and respectful, but they really didn't engage in a dialoge to help me. I was there a total of about 7 hours.

I am a farang with visa-on-arrival. My farang spouse has a 1 year retirement extension to O visa.

I want to get a non-imm O and then extensions based on retirement income/bank account, but I haven't had 800,000 baht in bank for 3 months, so I hoped to get an non-imm O based on being a dependant. In 3 months I could get a retirement extension on my own.

CM said they could not give me a non-imm O based on being a dependant. They told me that they could give me a non-imm O if I met requirement for retirement extensions. I won't meet that for 3 months. :o

P.S. Chanchao, I've done many hours of leg work but no one seems to know the answers to this situation. I don't know if CM immigration is correct? There are regulations that allow what I want to do, but they don't seem to be aware of them. I my paperwork in hand, but it's the interpretation of the laws that I can't get.

Try posting this in the Visa forum as well and look out for any responses from Lopburi3 as this member seems to be particularly knowledgeable.

JxP

CM said they could not give me a non-imm O based on being a dependant. They told me that they could give me a non-imm O if I met requirement for retirement extensions. I won't meet that for 3 months. sad.gif

Yes, if it's only 3 months then why bother fighting it; just get a tourist visa or do some visa runs then for this time.

And the immigration dept doesn't issue visa's I think? any non-imm-O I think is issued outside of Thailand, then extending is up to the local immigration department. The main issue is that you're on a visa-exempt stay which they probably can't convert to anything long-term.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I think Chanchao is right. I have always been told that Non Im O and other Non Im visas were only issued outside of Thailand. Maybe the problem was that you were asking for something simply impossible and you did not understand or accept their response.

I have always done my own visa stuff with CM Immigration and never had any problems. Their service over the recent 3-5 years has improved a lot. They have been helpful, never unfriendly and not bad as government officials go. They are at least as good as the US Consul staff in most cases. Based on my experience.

Agreed you don't need an agent, the paperwork is simple enough.

Chiang Mai immigration have been fine with me and never had a problem on any of the times I've gone in. Considering some of the d*** heads they deal with they are a good bunch.

I think Chanchao is right. I have always been told that Non Im O and other Non Im visas were only issued outside of Thailand. Maybe the problem was that you were asking for something simply impossible and you did not understand or accept their response.

I have always done my own visa stuff with CM Immigration and never had any problems. Their service over the recent 3-5 years has improved a lot. They have been helpful, never unfriendly and not bad as government officials go. They are at least as good as the US Consul staff in most cases. Based on my experience.

I spoke with CM & BKK immigration offices today. They will both issue non-imm O visas, but being a dependent is not an acceptable purpose for issuing one. They will issue one, for example, if you want to apply for a retirement extension to your non-imm 0 and you neet the financial requirements for retirement.

I spoke with CM & BKK immigration offices today. They will both issue non-imm O visas, but being a dependent is not an acceptable purpose for issuing one. They will issue one, for example, if you want to apply for a retirement extension to your non-imm 0 and you neet the financial requirements for retirement.

Things must have changed then because my retirement extensions have always used the same old Non Imm O, never a new one issued in Thailand. So I am here on a ten year old visa that has many retirement extensions.

I think you're both saying the same, just the lingo is mutually confusing.. I take it that to apply for a 1-year retirement extension to you Non Imm O visa, you need to start with a Non Imm O, and not a 30-day visa-exemption stamp that people on short holidays get.

And ultimately the answer I guess is that being a dependent of a retirement visa holder is no grounds to get one yourself. (And note that no agent no matter how good would have changed that for any amount of money). Guess the dependent thingy only works for Business Visa / Work Permit holders.

Edited by chanchao

Here's my advice.

Fly to Penang. Go see my pal Ali at N.J Book Centre, 425 Chulia Street, phone 604 261 6113 (his mobile 601 645 38867).

They are very well regarded visa brokers, specializing in Thai visas. Their fee is about 200 B (20 MR).

Bring all your docs, bank books, etc. They will fill out the application for you and deliver to Thai Consulate. By the next day, around 2:30 PM you will have a 90 day non-imm Category O, single entry visa.

Call him from here before you go to confirm current visa issue situation, but if anyone can help, he can.

Once you have your non-imm cat O, in 3 months go to CM Imm and apply for an extension for reason of retirement.

Hope this helps! :o

McG

There seems to be a problem with the Thaivisa database.

For the time being, I recommend composing your posts in Notepad or Word on your computer, and then copying / pasting them into the reply box. Even if the page does not refresh and confirm the post has been sent, it is possible that it has.

The same thing happened to me two hours ago, and to several other posters I have erased double/triple/quadruple posts for since this morning.

Here's my advice.

Fly to Penang. Go see my pal Ali at N.J Book Centre, 425 Chulia Street, phone 604 261 6113 (his mobile 601 645 38867).

They are very well regarded visa brokers, specializing in Thai visas. Their fee is about 200 B (20 MR).

Bring all your docs, bank books, etc. They will fill out the application for you and deliver to Thai Consulate. By the next day, around 2:30 PM you will have a 90 day non-imm Category O, single entry visa.

Call him from here before you go to confirm current visa issue situation, but if anyone can help, he can.

Once you have your non-imm cat O, in 3 months go to CM Imm and apply for an extension for reason of retirement.

McG

Used to use NJ Bookstore for my visa. They were very rude to me the last time so I will never use them again. If there is any slight problem they turn their back on you and pretend you do not exist.

Here's my advice.

McG

Used to use NJ Bookstore for my visa. They were very rude to me the last time so I will never use them again. If there is any slight problem they turn their back on you and pretend you do not exist.

Sorry to hear that, WMJ. They were absolutely marvelous with me. I asked if they could pick me up at airport; they were there waiting on my arrival, and they charged me about half of the taxi fare to drive me into town.

(Ditto for return to airport when I left).

They did make it clear before they submitted the app that they are just brokers. No guarantees for anything. And they stated a few examples to me of people who should have qualified for visas, who didn't get them, and vice versa....Again, sorry to hear of your bad experience, but they were great for me.

McG