Leaving on Non-O and coming back on tourist visa

Dear members

I'm on Non-immigrant-O based on married to a Thai. However, due to major changes in my circumstances, will have to leave next week. 

I'm considering going to Cambodia and planning to come back on a tourist visa within a short period.

I also have a work permit that is tied to our family business.

Will this be ok with immigration? 

Would it be possible to somehow convert this extension to Non-B?

Constructive replies are greatly appreciated ????

13 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Thanks. Looks like a rather confusing wording in these docs. 

I'm pretty sure they will find a way to reject the change of visa for Non-B to work for a small business. 

Tourist visa remains the only option.

However, as a last resort, I'll pay a visit to the local immi. 

If you are currently in Thailand on a Non Immigrant permission to stay, I would advise, as a first step, seeing if you can extend your permission to stay based on working. Whether this will be possible will depend on the basis for your employment and your salary.

If you cannot get an extension based on working, you will not be able to apply for a "conversion" visa at Immigration either, so entering visa exempt or with a tourist visa will not give you a path to legally work in Thailand.

Under some circumstances, it might be possible to get a one-year multiple entry Non B visa (90-day stays) although not meeting the salary requirements for an extension of stay from Immigration. This used to be possible in Penang, but is now not possible there if I remember correctly.

Let's see what @ubonjoe suggests.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

If you are currently in Thailand on a Non Immigrant permission to stay, I would advise, as a first step, seeing if you can extend your permission to stay based on working. Whether this will be possible will depend on the basis for your employment and your salary.

If you cannot get an extension based on working, you will not be able to apply for a "conversion" visa at Immigration either, so entering visa exempt or with a tourist visa will not give you a path to legally work in Thailand.

Under some circumstances, it might be possible to get a one-year multiple entry Non B visa (90-day stays) although not meeting the salary requirements for an extension of stay from Immigration. This used to be possible in Penang, but is now not possible there if I remember correctly.

Let's see what @ubonjoe suggests.

Thanks. I'll see what they say. 

Paid a visit to the local immigration but they didn't have a clue.

They just showed me the checklist on the internet that I can download. 

Unfortunately, I won't have time to prepare all those docs on time. 

Apparently, change of extension is only possible when the ongoing extension runs to its expiry date. 

Difficult times are coming then ????