Renting motorcycles to people

truthfix

Hi All

Apologies if this is not in the right place as I wasn’t sure where to put this topic other than general, anyway…

If you’re renting bikes out how do you safeguard yourself to ensure the bikes are returned?

A lot of people don’t want to give their passports with a deposit but what’s the alternative, photocopy, photograph it to take to the police if a bikes not returned?

I’m not a shop but rather an individual.

Any advice is appreciated!

Many thanks

8 minutes ago, truthfix said:

A lot of people don’t want to give their passports with a deposit but what’s the alternative, photocopy, photograph it to take to the police if a bikes not returned?

50,000 deposit and no passport will maybe do the job.

I am sure many of the people/companies who rent out bikes in places like Pattaya are well connected. It is not a good idea to upset them.

And when everybody is demanding a passport then customers know they have to bring their passport. If you would open a shop and maybe you would even advertise no passport necessary, what kind of people do you think you would attract? Most likely some not so honest people...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, truthfix said:

Not checked insurance, no and any damages the individual pays for.

I was thinking more along the lines of the rider being injured. A friend of mine looked into renting out scooters but decided the insurance issue made it infeasible.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Well, the rule of thumb here followed by Thai renters, is

'Motorbikes are for rent, but not to Thai people'.

Best insurance that they can get...

I would not rent to anybody, regardless of nationality.

The crucial thing with motorbikes (especially big bikes) is driving experience, and of that you can never be sure of.

I remember about 25 years ago the method was a signed copy of your credit card (you might remember the ritsch-ratsch machines) with the amount left blank. In this case they did not even ask for a driving license.

And oh Boy was it dangerous. I did experience elephants walking out ot the jungle in Phuket right on the street. And a police car coming my way on MY Lane invisibly in a curve while I was whistling "born to be wild" to enhance my cruising. It was like a miracle that I could avoid a frontal crash (mind you: with a Police car driving on the wrong side of the road........).

Hands off I would recommend.

• Like 2

I took a look at phuket rental websites, the big selling point is “we don’t take your passport” - deposit was 3K, but needed copies of passport and DL. I guess you have to have a bit of faith in the renters. 

I went to rent a scooter in Chiang Mai, it was a nightmare, most wanted my passport, they didn’t want my wife’s ID card, they wanted a hefty cash deposit - weren’t interested in my Thai DL with my address on the back. I walked around the city instead. 

Not too sure how you can enforce damages, one thing with tourists, that a good portion maybe be naive and scared of the consequences if not paying for damages. 

Edited by recom273

It's illegal to use your passport as a deposit.

As you can buy a motorcycle starting around 10K and 50 k deposit is not practical.

Are you renting to holidaymakers or long term resident and Thai customers?

There is a trade over the borders in bikes.

You need credit/debit cards

Addresses and verify these.

I would also check the market - wherever you are the competition will be fierce.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

50,000 deposit and no passport will maybe do the job.

I am sure many of the people/companies who rent out bikes in places like Pattaya are well connected. It is not a good idea to upset them.

And when everybody is demanding a passport then customers know they have to bring their passport. If you would open a shop and maybe you would even advertise no passport necessary, what kind of people do you think you would attract? Most likely some not so honest people...

Nobody should ever be leaving any valid passport with any strangers.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the past couple of years I’ve rented twice: 

1) Rawai Phuket - rented for 1 week. Left a 6000 baht deposit and Copies of my Passport and ML Licence. 

Owner was a westerner. https://motorbike-rental-station-phuket.com/fleet/

Motorcycle was very new, no scratches (I took photos of every angle etc).

2) Samet Island - Rented for 3 days: Left a copy of my Thai Motorcycle Driving licence (no deposit). 

Motorcycle was a couple of years old, had plenty of scratches etc (I took photos of every angle etc). 

In my area the scooter rental businesses ask for 5000 baht deposit and a copy of your passport with no  demand for a motorcycle license .

We have a guest house and  have thought to rent motorcycles  to our guests . But after much thought I think it is a risky business if you own property that would invite being sued for all you have got in the event of a accident by one of the renters . If you have nothing then you are safe like most of the scooter rental companies in Thailand .

I remember a Belgian guy in my condo in Chiang Mai who decided he could make extra baht by renting out a couple of 110 cc scooters.

Two French guys rented them for a month, and returned them as wrecks. No accidents, but they racked up so many kilometers in the mountains around Chiang Rai the engines were essentially rooted. IIRC he sold them for a fraction of what he paid for them.

I used to rent myself, before I bought my own scooter. 5000 baht deposit, copy of passport, take the scooter back once a month for a check. Big rental shop on Loi Kroh Road. I did try another shop, and they wanted my passport. No thanks.

I'd say forget it, unless the OP enjoys heartache. There is no control over how responsible your renters will be.

8 hours ago, truthfix said:

I’m not a shop but rather an individual.

Any advice is appreciated!

Fairly easy to answer: If you don't have a proper company set up with Thai partners, you dont rent out motorbikes. Your Thai partners will know how to handle the front office rental business, while you are investor only, if you don't have the right number of Thai employees and hold a work permit...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I was thinking more along the lines of the rider being injured. A friend of mine looked into renting out scooters but decided the insurance issue made it infeasible.

First off if the person is a falang and they haven't got the correct visa and a paid up, registered company here they can't hire, sell diddly to anyone, earn any sort of renumeration, or even work for free or volunteer  - its strictly against the law here.

If you're talking about  a company set-up then make sure you have a really trustworthy Thai as your partner and even then have the books audited independently, and regularly!!

If you're asking a hypothetical question ... If  you are talking about a tourist renting a bike, then they whoever they are best have a good underwritten travel insurance that has a specifically stipulated and charged clause for bike riding.

If it doesn't then their travel insurance won't cover a bike related accident.

For any vehicle hire 2, 3, or 4 wheels, and for travel insurance to hold in LOS you MUST have an International Drivers Permit (after 60 continuous days in-country you then must get a Thai license to ride otherwise the policy will more than likely be voided by the underwriter as you are deemed as driving unlicensed as far as the Law is concerned) ...

The vast majority of insurance policies may/will refuse a claim under breach of no, expired, invalid licenses under Thai road law.

The fallacy that a home country license is ok is wrong, ... yes its is widely accepted by loads of hire companies because they're wanting to earn from you and they don't give a dam. as they're not liable if you get nabbed by plod or have an accident and you try to claim on any insurance you might have. 

If you're asking about a long term visa holder e.g. retiree or work visa and they don't have a long term insurance policy here that also stipulates and covers riding a bike then the results will be the same as the above if injury to them occurs.

As to a hired bike being damaged - user pays the cost to repair or replace.

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I remember years ago (20 or so), a group of us stayed in Kata Noi (Phuket), one of our friends had rented a motorcycle - no deposit, no licence or passport left etc, but did leave accommodation info. 

The next morning the Motorcycle was gone. My friend went to the shop and told them the motorcycle was missing. They wanted a 50,000 baht payment (or some such amount). Another friend then piped up... “I remember where you parked it, we’ll go get it”....   and we left the shop.

We were staying in cheap accommodation, we packed up and moved to different accommodation in Karen - no biggie. 

We knew the rental shop had tired to run their scam on a group of young 20 something guys.... We already knew of the scam. When one of our group said they’d remembered where the motorcycle was parked the shop couldn’t contradict that without owning up to their theft...  

and then????