Delete attachments

MJCM

I was trying to delete an attachment which I mistakenly uploaded but when I go to Manage Attachments I can not delete them anymore.

I can't delete the attachment in the post (PM) as the editing time has past.

So why can't you delete attachments anymore

Ps: using MS Edge (latest version with NO ad blocker)

.That is the way system works. You have to do the edit within a few minutes of doing your post and that includes removing uploaded attachments.

If it is important for you to have a file removed you and do a report and then a mod or admin could do it for you.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

.That is the way system works. You have to do the edit within a few minutes of doing your post and that includes removing uploaded attachments.

If it is important for you to have a file removed you and do a report and then a mod or admin could do it for you.

Thx @ubonjoe

But previously you could go into "My Attachments" and remove the attachments, but that option isn't there any more!

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

But previously you could go into "My Attachments" and remove the attachments, but that option isn't there any more!

I don't recall ever being able to remove attachments after the ability to edit a post timed out.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't recall ever being able to remove attachments after the ability to edit a post timed out.

You could

Under "Username" - My attachments and there you could select the attachments and delete them

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

You could

Under "Username" - My attachments and there you could select the attachments and delete them

I don't recall ever using that list. Now about all you can do is click the link to download it.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't recall ever using that list. Now about all you can do is click the link to download it.

Yep, that has changed, before you could select the attachment and delete it but that option has been removed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Yep, that has changed, before you could select the attachment and delete it but that option has been removed. 

Interesting development, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

In the past I have made extensive use of the delete uploaded attachments part of the system.

I used to go in every now and again and delete them all, every single one of them - which could have been 100's of files.

I wonder why has this been altered? ????

9 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I wonder why has this been altered?

I only used them when for example when I a PM conversation with someone and after a while they left the conversation and I just used it to delete the attachments I might have send just not clutter the list. And just today I send an file to someone but I mistakenly uploaded a wrong file and thought to delete it but couldn't any more.

Had to send in a Report to get the file / PM deleted.

On 10/30/2022 at 7:09 AM, ukrules said:

Interesting development, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

In the past I have made extensive use of the delete uploaded attachments part of the system.

I used to go in every now and again and delete them all, every single one of them - which could have been 100's of files.

I wonder why has this been altered? ????

The ability to delete attachments is not enabled because deletion can disrupt and damage the integrity of topics. Attachments are normally uploaded because the member believes their attachment adds value to the discussion. That being the case, it makes no sense for the forum as a whole to enable the deletion of that added value.

If an attachment is uploaded in error and that error is only noticed after the edit window has closed then a member can report their own post and a moderator will remove the attachment for you.

• Thumbs Up 1