Driving from Roi et to Trat, best route?

sanook 1

Im not sure about the road numbers but from Khon Kaen I go down through Burriram. Other way for me is via Korat. I hate belting along on motorways so going inland a much more pleasant and scenic choice for me. Dont think there is even any real time saving going down the motorway either. Once you are past Burriram area go through some beautiful national park and mountains. Very easy safe drive and seldom much traffic. Lots of places you can buy fruit on the way too. Done the trip at least 5 times and always enjoy it...and I hate driving lol

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Im not sure about the road numbers but from Khon Kaen I go down through Burriram. Other way for me is via Korat. I hate belting along on motorways so going inland a much more pleasant and scenic choice for me. Dont think there is even any real time saving going down the motorway either. Once you are past Burriram area go through some beautiful national park and mountains. Very easy safe drive and seldom much traffic. Lots of places you can buy fruit on the way too. Done the trip at least 5 times and always enjoy it...and I hate driving lol

Thank you! I guess the time google maps estimate is on the lower side since its smaller roads or does it seems to match actual driving time? 

1 hour ago, sanook 1 said:

Thank you! I guess the time google maps estimate is on the lower side since its smaller roads or does it seems to match actual driving time? 

543 km in 8:09.

That estimate gives average speed of 66 km/h.

Taking into account that there are some four lane divided stretches, this sounds conservative. Might make it quicker.

But as usual: two lane highways are a gamble with possible columns from slow moving vehicles etc.

But as Kenny202 writes it's unlikely that there is much traffic.

I did 560 km to Pattaya without tollway in less than 8 hours a couple of times with appropriate breaks (no more).

Mostly four lane though.

Edited by KhunBENQ
without!
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

543 km in 8:09.

That estimate gives average speed of 66 km/h.

Taking into account that there are some four lane divided stretches, this sounds conservative. Might make it quicker.

But as usual: two lane highways are a gamble with possible columns from slow moving vehicles etc.

But as Kenny202 writes it's unlikely that there is much traffic.

I did 560 km to Pattaya without tollway in less than 8 hours a couple of times with appropriate breaks (no more).

Mostly four lane though.

Thanks! True that at 66 km/h average should actually beat google maps timing.