No business sense

Sparktrader

Your situation as a solo traveler banging around from place to place and and booking on the fly into lower-end, independently owned small places is a pretty small segment of Thai tourism. I used to do that, it was great. Being married, staying in Noi's Cozy Cottages in Ubon is a distant dream for me, and a fondly recalled one.

Slightly off topic, Nimman is a hot rental market. I thought I'd be spoilt for choice, but I'll likely be picking from 2-4 places, at best. At the agency, a brit baldie was hoping to get a condo for $100 a week, on a week to week basis. With a pool.

Not doable. Nothing is available for less than a six month lease, prob around $7-800 a month.  I found a $150 a month place down a side soi near the night market (with a pool, no less), but it was not wife-able. Hard matresses, barking dogs. PM for details.

Just now, LaosLover said:

Nimman is a hot rental market. I thought I'd be spoilt for choice,

Saw a nice apartment at 800 baht a night 2 months ago.

I used to pay 1000 to 2000 a night. These 500 baht rooms are much the same minus breakfast. Bf is worth 200 baht.

3 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

booking on the fly into lower-end, independently owned small places is a pretty small segment of Thai tourism

True but I speak Thai and can go anywhere. The average tourist goes to tourist zones pays double what a room is worth cause they dont know better or dont care for 2 weeks.

On 10/31/2022 at 1:05 PM, Sparktrader said:

I know nov 1 hotels can put prices up but not all. My new room is the same std 470 baht vs 800 baht.

Plus i was a repeat customer. 

Anyway i had to walk dentist so did that then walked hotel. 2km allup. Got touched up by massage girls the whole way.

If i was running a hotel i would have said normally 800 but for you 700. I would have stayed. Not full.

Burmese chick at new hotel. Kinda cute.

Phils staff in dentist and dr clinic. Hot as.

Would you mind saying what hotel?

On 10/31/2022 at 11:42 AM, Sparktrader said:

Changed hotels today. 550 baht to 800 baht cause November they said. Lost me a repeat customer. Found one 470 baht near dentist i visit.

Oh well saved money, had a walk. Found a new hotel.

If only they knew how to bargain.

Perhaps if you had bargained and made a contract to stay long term on arrival, they may have agreed to the low price right through high season.

The fact that you were able to change hotels immediately indicates you were paying day by day.

Few here would be surprised that prices rise in season. 

10 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Would you mind saying what hotel?

Cant mention old one due to defamation laws. New one is full.

Just use agoda or booking.com use filters.

Only Bangkok and places like Phi Phi, Lipe is hard to find good deals at 500 baht. Everywhere else you can.

Filters

600 bht max

8+ review score

Ensuite

Aircon

Good deals all over Thailand. Get to hotel ask for quiet room.

7 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Perhaps if you had bargained and made a contract to stay long term on arrival, they may have agreed to the low price right through high season.

The fact that you were able to change hotels immediately indicates you were paying day by day.

Few here would be surprised that prices rise in season. 

Its ok. Found a good option for future under 500 baht. 

41 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Saw a nice apartment at 800 baht a night 2 months ago.

Yeah, two months ago, prices were def. cheaper than now. There was more uncertainty.

3 other couples at breakfast I met this week are also competing with me for a condo with a pool on a quiet soi in Nimman. Chiang Mai is coming back. If the Chinese could get here, it would be a proper tourist season again.

My experience is that a 500 baht room is not the same as 2000 baht room, partic. in the hard mattress department. In my traveling around for the last 3 months in the 1,200-1,800 baht hotel range, prices seem pretty much in the realm of you get what you pay for. Want to see some papaya at the breakfast buffet? That starts at 1,500 baht. Watermelon and dead weight Dragon fruit suits you? Possible for 800 baht. Even the bread for the toast conveyor belt on offer is predictable by the price point.

As a bleeding heart liberal, I'd be loathe to bargain at Noi's Cozy Cabins. Saintly Noi was practically eating grass for the last 2 years. Would I try to talk her down a fiver? I wouldn't have the heart.

Google for a good article on the Travelfish site about the death of the Thai guesthouse. A lot of them are painting the walls a wacky color and tossing a textile across the bed to inch up a bit as "boutique hotels". Their margins are so tight, they may as well try. Thai people prefer a pretend-boutique hotel to a warhorse like Noi's too.

Goofiest boutique hotel experience was in Viang Vieng, Laos: welcoming drink (out of a can), elaborate murals, but no hand rails on the uneven staircase and a single fluorescent overhead bulb to light the room. And yeah, it was full of boutique suckers like myself.

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Yeah, two months ago, prices were def. cheaper than now. There was more uncertainty.

3 other couples at breakfast I met this week are also competing with me for a condo with a pool on a quiet soi in Nimman. Chiang Mai is coming back. If the Chinese could get here, it would be a proper tourist season again.

My experience is that a 500 baht room is not the same as 2000 baht room, partic. in the hard mattress department. In my traveling around for the last 3 months in the 1,200-1,800 baht hotel range, prices seem pretty much in the realm of you get what you pay for. Want to see some papaya at the breakfast buffet? That starts at 1,500 baht. Watermelon and dead weight Dragon fruit suits you? Possible for 800 baht. Even the bread for the toast conveyor belt on offer is predictable by the price point.

As a bleeding heart liberal, I'd be loathe to bargain at Noi's Cozy Cabins. Saintly Noi was practically eating grass for the last 2 years. Would I try to talk her down a fiver? I wouldn't have the heart.

Google for a good article on the Travelfish site about the death of the Thai guesthouse. A lot of them are painting the walls a wacky color and tossing a textile across the bed to inch up a bit as "boutique hotels". Their margins are so tight, they may as well try. Thai people prefer a pretend-boutique hotel to a warhorse like Noi's too.

Goofiest boutique hotel experience was in Viang Vieng, Laos: welcoming drink (out of a can), elaborate murals, but no hand rails on the uneven staircase and a single fluorescent overhead bulb to light the room. And yeah, it was full of boutique suckers like myself.

High season now so yes less bargains and less covid fear but still some good bargains if you can walk 800m.

I prefer hard mattress. The 470 baht room has a hard king bed. Aircon is strong. Water pressure strong.

Nimman had a 880 baht room with kitchenette today on booking.com. balcony too.

Im going Isaan. Got large apartment for 500 baht. Good location.

pretend-boutique hotels tend to be centrally located, tho. Had a great boutique-ish one in Nong Khai. Boutique is often a synonym for new-build too.

We want to be within a 5 minute walk from Nimman Ave, in a fairly recent new-build, with a pool -like everyone. A lot of places listed have you out by the highway.

That great 90 day bargain era of June-Sept when they finally opened up appears to be over for good.

Prob no tourist season as such happening in Ubon, so hard to go wrong, rental-wise.

Nimman and Ubon = chalk and cheese.

40 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

pretend-boutique hotels tend to be centrally located, tho. Had a great boutique-ish one in Nong Khai. Boutique is often a synonym for new-build too.

We want to be within a 5 minute walk from Nimman Ave, in a fairly recent new-build, with a pool -like everyone. A lot of places listed have you out by the highway.

That great 90 day bargain era of June-Sept when they finally opened up appears to be over for good.

Prob no tourist season as such happening in Ubon, so hard to go wrong, rental-wise.

Nimman and Ubon = chalk and cheese.

June is low season. Oversupply hotels still cheap. I like the Old City or near Chinatown.

Worst thing in Phuket is yes boss folks trying the hard sell. Some chase you down the street. I respond in Thai they mumble some language I dont know, most likely abuse. No sales skills whatsoever. Yes boss is the worst sales approach in the world. Wonder why nobody hardly buys from them.

52 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Had a great boutique-ish one in Nong Khai

NK is ugly but i like it. Great food, locals are good. Away from the beach Id put in the top 5 Thai towns. Not much to do there but thats good sometimes and Laos is next door if want alternative. BeerLao is good.

If you are a book reader that doesnt need a beach top spot to relax.

Old City has less properties to rent and even more demand. Would have been my first choice. Chinatown, likewise. Walking around and checking in on places can def yield results, but the frustration factor is high.

Still, a guy at the pot store found a free-standing house with a little yard in Nimman for $600 a month. It def helps that he had a gorgeous, local, pothead GF when looking for a place. I reminded my wife she has to up her game to stay in my game. She says that I should just run off with the 7/11 cashier and be done with it.

An agent has one I like with a one year lease. Will prob bite the bullet. It's only $500 a month for a one bedroom, so eatable if it came down to it.

Lived in Ubon for 3 months at (I think) The Wrong Way Inn. Great, great town, partic for Muay Thai. Decent little walkable downtown area. You gotta really, really like hot weather.

11 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Worst thing in Phuket is yes boss folks trying the hard sell. Some chase you down the street. I respond in Thai they mumble some language I dont know, most likely abuse. No sales skills whatsoever. Yes boss is the worst sales approach in the world. Wonder why nobody hardly buys from them.

Your sure breaking some new ground in Patong... Burmese sprukers and cheap rooms... lol.

9 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Old City has less properties to rent and even more demand. Would have been my first choice. Chinatown, likewise. Walking around and checking in on places can def yield results, but the frustration factor is high.

Still, a guy at the pot store found a free-standing house with a little yard in Nimman for $600 a month. It def helps that he had a gorgeous, local, pothead GF when looking for a place. I reminded my wife she has to up her game to stay in my game. She says that I should just run off with the 7/11 cashier and be done with it.

An agent has one I like with a one year lease. Will prob bite the bullet. It's only $500 a month for a one bedroom, so eatable if it came down to it.

Lived in Ubon for 3 months at (I think) The Wrong Way Inn. Great, great town, partic for Muay Thai. Decent little walkable downtown area. You gotta really, really like hot weather.

Yes Ubon is good. Old town mostly guesthouses. I paid 450 baht last time. Ok but wouldnt stay again. 

5 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

7/11 girls dont do much for me. Go to a glasses shop or dentist if you want a hot gf. Thats where the honeys work.

The rental agent -quite lovely- seemed unable to comprehend that I didn't have a Thai wife. She asked me 4 times for clarification. And old fat wreck like me? She just assumed I suffered from low self esteem.

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Those 800 baht rooms are 3 star pretending to be 4 star. I looked at the photos. In the west no way they would be rated 4 star. The difference between 2 stars and 4 stars in Thailand is marginal. In the west the gap is wide.

"Looked at the photos" Yeah I believe you on that one.