German man in north sets fire to pick-up after argument with wife

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported on a domestic dispute in Pratu Pa, sub-district of Muang Lamphun on Sunday night.

A 50 year old German man had been arguing with his Thai wife. Fearing she was going to be attacked she called the police.

This infuriated the husband even more and he grabbed a canister of gasoline and set fire to the Toyota pick-up in a car port.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Fire services were too late to save the car.

The German disappeared but was soon found hanging next to the house after taking his own life. 

An autopsy has been called. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-10-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

1 hour ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Surely the focus of this story is all wrong ?

Very true. Just a side not in the last paragraph that he took his life.
A couple that hasn't found the right moment to separate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, austhai said:

Was there many witnesses? Other wise the story is just here say. They mentioned autopsy, but no mention of a crime scene investigation at the car to know he did it or not.  

It's a Sudden Death and will be fully investigated, so it's a Coronial Scene/Crime scene, whatever you want to name it. An autopsy is standard procedure. Inquiries will be routinely be made with neighbours and any other persons of interest that may be involved or saw or heard something relative. So just sit back and let the RTP do their job. RIP

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

One wonders sometimes what type of mental illness or stress he was under, and why.  So many people never reach out for the needed help, and here in Thailand it is hard to find a mental health professional to talk with.  RIP Sir.

Thailand doesn't invest in mental health as per a recent article published about the increasing number of Thais committing suicide.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Some Thai women seem to have the ability to drive their Western partners to insanity.

No idea of the actual circumstances, but I could imagine if it was the case that she started an argument, then called the police when he argued back, that would be pretty troubling.  Especially if the police then sided with him.

Very little protection for foreigners in Thailand.  I think a similar things happened to a guy but he set fire to a house before hanging himself.  No doubt in an effort to stop it going to the wife.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Myran said:

Holy <deleted>, whoever's writing these articles has to get their priorities straight. A man tragically killed himself and you choose to focus on a car getting set on fire?

The way the OP reads is he had a fight with the wife, who then called the police, and as he was so upset he set the car on fire and then hung himself.  I fail to see how else the Op could have been written.  Are you saying it should have read, Man commits suicide after having a fight with his wife and setting the vehicle on fire?  At the end of the day the story is lacing in much substance and sreams of the need for help with a mental health issue.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sad outcome for a clearly very mentally distressed man.  

Settting fire to a vehicle I can only imagine may be due to him ensuring his partner did not get it.  Maybe a separation scenario? 

Hence why I truly am terrified of getting too involved with women in a country where you have no ownership rights in many cases and poor legal protection elsewhere. I never married in the West because of the financial risks that can send you virtually destitute and suicidal.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

One wonders sometimes what type of mental illness or stress he was under, and why.  So many people never reach out for the needed help, and here in Thailand it is hard to find a mental health professional to talk with.  RIP Sir.

I believe thats why quite a few are in Thailand because they alredy was struggling and escaped a complicated life back home. Just to realize life catch up on them here to.