What's quietest day/time to visit CM immigration (Nov 2022)?

ed79

I need to visit CM Immigration office to do a 12 month extension on my visa (Elite visa if it matters).

Needs doing between now and 24th Nov.  Any recommendations of a good day and time to visit when queues will be at their shortest?

Is it busier after weekends?  What about time, is it best to arrive between 8am-9am, or try after lunch when it might have emptied out?

Edited by ed79

Avoid Mondays and any day after a holiday.  I normally choose to go Tuesday through Thursday.  As to time of

day, the horde shows up at 8-9AM and typically has thinned between 11 and noon.  As Immigration takes a lunch

break, I'd recommend trying at 1:30-2:00PM when not all that many people are there.

I have an appointment ("retirement purposes") at the end of this month and there still are appointment times

available before the 24th; however, I have no clue what section under the appointment website would apply to

an elite visa (but am guessing you also would hit the "retirement purposes" button).  

Url for appointment times:  https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/[email protected]/bookings/

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, CMBob said:

Avoid Mondays and any day after a holiday.  I normally choose to go Tuesday through Thursday.  As to time of

day, the horde shows up at 8-9AM and typically has thinned between 11 and noon.  As Immigration takes a lunch

break, I'd recommend trying at 1:30-2:00PM when not all that many people are there.

I have an appointment ("retirement purposes") at the end of this month and there still are appointment times

available before the 24th; however, I have no clue what section under the appointment website would apply to

an elite visa (but am guessing you also would hit the "retirement purposes" button).  

Url for appointment times:  https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/[email protected]/bookings/

Thanks CMBob, this is just the sort of info I was after. I think I'll ask for afternoon appointment tues-thurs next week.

The Elite "member centre" actually book an appointment at immigration as part of the extension process, and they asked me to choose a day and time hence my post.

However reports from other elite holders say the appointment is completely ignored when you arrive at the immigration office and people end up in the same queue as everyone else. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

Make an appointment online. That way, you can be in and out in less than an hour, and you can pick your own date and time.  The system works very smoothly.

Thanks, I did take a look at the online booking site.  The thing is the Elite people supposedly pre-book an appointment for you, but there's an elite visa Facebook group full of reports from disgruntled PE visa holders who assumed one of the perks on paying all that money was a fast-track immigration service.  

This is true at Chang Wattana where someone meets you and you go direct to which ever desk is dealing with you, all other offices apparently disregard the booked appointment.

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

My local I O told me not to come on Mondays ''too busy'', and also that afternoons are better.

Thanks, in the past I've done TR 30 day extensions in Chiang Mai.  Last time Sept 2019, arrived at office just before opening, had to wait about an hour and most seats in the waiting area were full.

As it's now November I'd expect it to be even worse.

22 minutes ago, ed79 said:

This is true at Chang Wattana where someone meets you and you go direct to which ever desk is dealing with you, all other offices apparently disregard the booked appointment.

I don't believe you'll find that to be the case here in Chiangmai (people I've known who have had appointments have been satisfied); regardless, why not return to this thread after your appointment and let us know how it went for you.

5 minutes ago, CMBob said:

I don't believe you'll find that to be the case here in Chiangmai (people I've known who have had appointments have been satisfied); regardless, why not return to this thread after your appointment and let us know how it went for you.

Yeah, I'll definitely report back.  I've booked a retirement appointment for next Thursday afternoon.

Hilariously having just emailed them my appointment preferences, Elite have just got back me saying I can "go whenever I want".  So not sure why they asked in the first place!

8 hours ago, ed79 said:

Thanks, I did take a look at the online booking site.  The thing is the Elite people supposedly pre-book an appointment for you, but there's an elite visa Facebook group full of reports from disgruntled PE visa holders who assumed one of the perks on paying all that money was a fast-track immigration service. 

Now everyone, not just Elites, can be fast-tracked at Chiang Mai Immigration. We've used the appointment system a couple of times, and find it very effective. No complaints.

Quick update having just got back from CM immigration.  I arrived at 1.40pm, and was done within 30 minutes...

On arrival I was confused as there seemed to be 3 "entrances".  I didn't fancy the covid-19 "screening" area on the right so headed to the covered area in the left of the car park which I believe is the doc check area(?)  However this seemed to be a mix of people sitting down or wandering around and I couldn't work out if there was a queue or if they were just waiting for something.

So I skipped this bit too and went straight to the "Information desk" inside the building. Inside was 80%-90% full, but no queue so went to window & explained I'd booked an appointment and was here to extend elite visa.  The guy let out a sigh which wasn't encouraging but he took the pile of paperwork I'd brought including a pre-filled out TM7.

He gave me 2 forms mostly in Thai to sign, then took passport and money and said to take a seat.

As I wasn't given a number I was concerned I might get forgotten and still be sitting there at 4pm.  But after about 15 minutes they called my name, went to left hand window and took picture.  Waited another 5 minutes then was given back passport with stamp until Nov 2023. They also reset my 90 day report counter to day 1.

So overall no complaints, and certainly was done quickly.  It was quite confusing though, and kind of on the warm side with no aircon.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2022 at 10:49 AM, JimGant said:

See this thread for more info on appointment system.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1272846-what-advantage-is-an-immigration-appointment/

Thanks Jim.  I went this afternoon and my experience with an appointment was identical to yours.

I did run into a bit of a language barrier as I understood "take a seat" but I thought I also needed to wait for a number.

Fortunately they called out my name quite clearly although I couldn't make out which number window to go to.  It seems having an appointment mean you don't get a number and you're dealt with at the left hand window (number 8?).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/4/2022 at 8:35 AM, ed79 said:

Unlike most, I go to a agent as I live 150 km from CM city. With any change in the rules I might have to take 2 bus trips to get what they want. My vise agent is call Star Visa and is so good, they pick me up from the bus station and take be right to imm. which I am there for less than 5 minutes, than back to the bus station. I was just there 2 days ago and it was packed.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Make an appointment online . I did that last week . Showed up processed in about an hour , did not have to sit through the que . Normally takes me three hours . Just make sure all your documents are correct and signed . They ll be checked twice before you get to the stamping agent . The only thing they got me on was I used black ink they want blue but let me slide this time .