Visa Options for Laos Passport Holder

I have a friend who holds a Laos passport. She's lived in Thailand pretty much all her life and for the past few years she's been getting back to back tourist visa stamps in her passport (Not allowed, I know). The Thai authorities have now told her that when the current visa stamp runs out, she must return to Laos and will not be issued with any more tourist visa stamps. She has no family in Laos.

She was married to a Thai man (Only at the temple. Not legally), but they separated many years ago, after having two children together. Her name is on the 15 yr old daughters birth certificate. Her daughter lives with her ex-husbands parents and aunties.

She doesn't work. She's supported by friends and family.

What are her options?

I've suggested she go to Immigration at Chaen Wattana and talk to an agent to see if they can help.

Any advice or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

She could apply for a one year extension of stay for being the parent of a Thai. But she would need 400k baht in a Thai bank. First she would need to get a non-o visa.

She could also apply for non-o visas and then a 60 day extension to visit her child of the 90 day day entry from the visa. 

• Like 2

My wife is Lao and half her family "live" in Thailand.  Those that want to be legal do monthly border runs to Cambodia just get stamped in for 30 days under the reciprocal agreement between Laos and Thailand. I don't believe there is any limit of how many they can do. 

Not ideal obviously.  Hopefully she can get something more permanent sorted out.

My wife's family who don't care about being legal, just stay here!  If they leave to go back to Laos, there don't seem to be any serious repercussions re the overstay, and they never have to pay the proper fine - most of them are baht-less, which is why they're going back!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

My wife is Lao and half her family "live" in Thailand.  Those that want to be legal do monthly border runs to Cambodia just get stamped in for 30 days under the reciprocal agreement between Laos and Thailand. I don't believe there is any limit of how many they can do. 

As the parent of a Thai she could apply for a 60 day extension of the 30 day entries.

Edit: At this time she would get 45 day entries until March 31st. This from the MFA.

image.png.591edb0a628ff6b254efbafbecc7341a.png

• Like 1

My Cambodian GF has exactly same history as the OP's friend. Lived in Thailand most of her life and 2 children from former Thai partner. Her passport was full of stamps and extensions and no space for any more. Got a new passport this year and Non-O for supporting Thai children. Agent in Pattaya was very helpful getting her a 1 year extension and multi re-entry permit. 

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

My Cambodian GF has exactly same history as the OP's friend. Lived in Thailand most of her life and 2 children from former Thai partner. Her passport was full of stamps and extensions and no space for any more. Got a new passport this year and Non-O for supporting Thai children. Agent in Pattaya was very helpful getting her a 1 year extension and multi re-entry permit. 

Thanks for your post. Do you have any contact details for the agent?

• Thumbs Up 1

The main options seem to be switching to serial Non O visas or using an agent. Hopefully, she is still on reasonable terms with her daughter. That might, at some point, be a factor in whether she can stay based on that relationship.

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The main options seem to be switching to serial Non O visas or using an agent. Hopefully, she is still on reasonable terms with her daughter. That might, at some point, be a factor in whether she can stay based on that relationship.

Child's and child's father's Thai ID cards and Tabian Baan will almost certainly be required if using an agent too.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Yes, she's on very good terms with her daughter and her ex in-laws.

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

She has an excellent relationship with her daughter. So that's one good thing.