First UK passport for our child

I am getting ready to apply for our daughters UK passport, can anyone please tell me what documents I need from her Thai mother that will also need to be translated.

We have the Thai marriage certificate, Childs Birth cert (Thai) , blue house book / ID card. Is the mothers birth certificate necessary? What else will I need?

thanks for your help

The most important document is the long-form birth certificate of the British parent, as this shows whether the child is entitled to be British.  Children born overseas to a parent who is British By Descent cannot take up their parent's British citizenship, except under exceptional circumstances.  The British parent needs to show that they are British Otherwise Than By Descent in order to pass on their citizenship.

Apart from that, yes the Thai birth certificate showing the British parent's name (translated into English) plus the mother's ID card/passport/birth certificate.  A marriage certificate can be attached but there is no requirement to be married. You'll need counter-signed passport photos, preferably counter-signed by a UK passport holder, plus proof of your (or the child's) address in Thailand.

The application and attachments need to be submitted in person at the HMPO office at VFS in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.  They will check everything before submitting it to Liverpool for processing. You might need to allow up to 11 weeks to get it!

Edit: the mother's birth certificate is not essential. My wife doesn't have one, but our son's passport was issued with just her passport and ID card details.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

At the US Embassy they made sure I was in Thailand at relative date of conception. I had a new passport which caused a delay. Had to go to another place where they printed out my arrivals and dep for needed time frame.

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

At the US Embassy they made sure I was in Thailand at relative date of conception. I had a new passport which caused a delay. Had to go to another place where they printed out my arrivals and dep for needed time frame.

That's not a requirement for a UK passport.  It's immaterial where the baby was conceived.

• 5 months later...
15 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

This bit about applying in person in Bkk or CM. Does that mean all 3 of us including baby have to come up from Samui to the VFS office, or can wife travel up alone and do it?

Both parents and child. Done it a few times.

On 4/19/2023 at 9:02 AM, EVENKEEL said:

Both parents and child. Done it a few times.

Neither my wife nor I attended VFS when we applied for our daughter's UK passport. We did it via an agent so we didn't need to make 2 x 750kms round trip.

Thai passport is a different matter. Both parents require in attendance, up to the age of the applicant being, I think, 20

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Neither my wife nor I attended VFS when we applied for our daughter's UK passport. We did it via an agent so we didn't need to make 2 x 750kms round trip.

Thai passport is a different matter. Both parents require in attendance, up to the age of the applicant being, I think, 20

For US child's passport things are different then.

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

For US child's passport things are different then.

How about your driving licence ??...  Figured I’d continue the trend of ‘diminishing relevance to topic’ !!!

Back on topic: OP: When I applied for my Sons UK Passport (he was 3 weeks old) - I did not take him to VFS.

That said, as Joe Farang very accurately pointed out - many of us will be replying with dated information and requirements may have changed.