Safety for solo travellers in the Philippines

coralia

4 hours ago, 3STTW said:

Makati is about as safe as you can get so it makes a good start/finish point to your visit.

Last time I was there, in a 5 star hotel, on the balcony at night, listening to the gunfire across the city.

Nice !

10 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

Would you suggest ko Tau for a single female?

I never heard of rape and murder in the Philippines!

You may be right. Having said that, there are plenty of single Western females who seem to get along fine in cities such as Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.

You've never heard of rape and murder in the Philippines? It's a violent and dangerous place, perhaps you should broaden your reading horizons.

18 hours ago, coralia said:

Thank you all for taking the time to answer. I am definitely not going there. I am looking for hassle-free destinations. But I do appreciate all your answers very much ????????????

Go to Cambodia and combine it with a trip to Vietnam.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right. Having said that, there are plenty of single Western females who seem to get along fine in cities such as Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.

You've never heard of rape and murder in the Philippines? It's a violent and dangerous place, perhaps you should broaden your reading horizons.

I have. Can you broaden my horizons and inform me on rape and murder of female tourists in the Philippines!

such as in Thailand? 

3 minutes ago, Northstar1 said:

I have. Can you broaden my horizons and inform me on rape and murder of female tourists in the Philippines!

such as in Thailand? 

I did not make any claims about the rape and murder of female tourists in the Philippines, so kindly desist from trying to twist what I said.

You can read the opinions of other posters on this thread, including their experiences there.

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2022 at 6:21 PM, coralia said:

Thank you all for taking the time to answer. I am definitely not going there. I am looking for hassle-free destinations. But I do appreciate all your answers very much ????????????

Good choice.

The Philippines is a lovely country with some beautiful people but.....

My wife never felt 'comfortable' there.

You do not need hassle in your life.

Anywhere else in SE Asia would be a better choice (apart from Burma at the moment).

• Like 1

Having to be very careful of what districts you go in and any mistake can lead to problems.

Guards with machine guns at shopping malls, armed guards at hotels, guard stations so people can deposit handguns! Street urchins that are both vicious and feral, thieving is a constant worry as are armed muggings.

This isn't just dangerous, it says a lot about the mindset of many of the "rogue elements" of the Philippines and the lawlessness. Add back severe problems and terrorism in the Muslim Southern enclaves and islands.

It doesn't sound like much of a holiday to me!..............................far too many horror stories!

The Philippines is one of the few countries where nearly every Filipino or Filipina I have spoken to is desperate to get out and work in the West and just send money home to look after family.

Small wonder they don't mind not returning for years and years.

So to sum up this thread, many posters that have been to the P.I.s have stated that they didn't feel safe there.

Most of the other posters waxing lyrical about the place end their post with a but and a warning.

Why would you want to go on a 'relaxing' holiday to somewhere where you had to be on your toes, even in the safer areas?

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

So to sum up this thread, many posters that have been to the P.I.s have stated that they didn't feel safe there.

Most of the other posters waxing lyrical about the place end their post with a but and a warning.

Why would you want to go on a 'relaxing' holiday to somewhere where you had to be on your toes, even in the safer areas?

That is not quite accurate. The few tourists areas or enclaves I have been to felt no different to virtually all of Thailand in that they felt safe, the resorts were all kept clean and tidy. Though the infrastructure outside the resorts in the enclave was not well maintained, they are a reasonably relaxing safe enough place to be.

However these were isolated geographically from the rest of the country, the vast majority is badly maintained, dirty, polluted, extremely crowded, and the feeling outside the enclaves is that you must keep hyper aware to avoid problems. 

If you are within a family group then you will be protected by them and the family groups are very large by even Thai standards, a close family group may well be 30~50 people, a small nuclear family is likely to have 6 children, families of over 10 kids are not unusual. 

10 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is not quite accurate. The few tourists areas or enclaves I have been to felt no different to virtually all of Thailand in that they felt safe, the resorts were all kept clean and tidy. Though the infrastructure outside the resorts in the enclave was not well maintained, they are a reasonably relaxing safe enough place to be.

However these were isolated geographically from the rest of the country, the vast majority is badly maintained, dirty, polluted, extremely crowded, and the feeling outside the enclaves is that you must keep hyper aware to avoid problems. 

If you are within a family group then you will be protected by them and the family groups are very large by even Thai standards, a close family group may well be 30~50 people, a small nuclear family is likely to have 6 children, families of over 10 kids are not unusual. 

If you are within a family group then you will be protected by them

And if my grandmother had wheels, she would have been a bike.

The OP is a single female traveler and is not in a family group, nor does she have any guides to steer her clear of problems.

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

IME I have been able to move freely around Thailand without awareness above normal precautions. From the accounts of others, that freedom of movement is much more problematic in the Philippines.

The safest I have ever felt in a foreign country is Japan, one gets the feeling it would be a national shaming if a foreigner was attacked or harassed in any way.

It is possible for a tourist to drift into an area of higher risk without knowing it. I found that out during walking in New York, and suddenly realizing I was the only white face among quite a few black ones. Harlem.

• Thumbs Up 2

Easy to paint a wretched picture of Philippines, but we seem to have ended up in yet another comparison with Thailand. I've lived in both Thailand and Philippines, though a lot longer in Thailand. The only physical and verbal threats of violence and intimidation I ever experienced were in Thailand. But guess what? They came from a foreigner. And a neighbour at that. But, I have a house also in Philippines. I don't get that there mainly I guess because I'm surrounded by fairly wealthy middle class Filipinos and foreigners, who, believe it or not, do exist in very large numbers there. Yes, standard of living is terrible in Philippines for most. So it is in many many countries, now probably including most of Europe. The country has an appalling level of corruption. There's a lot of yaba, known there as shabu, and too dirty shooting anyone and everyone even suspected of being a user/dealer just took out thousands of mostly young guys. I'd be more scared in the US where it seems everybody carries a gun and will blow your head off at the drop of a cowboy hat, is addicted to Prozac/some opiate derivative like fentanyl/crack/smack, and breaks your legs if you don't vote Republican. Welcome to bias!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Guards with machine guns at shopping malls, armed guards at hotels, guard stations so people can deposit handguns! Street urchins that are both vicious and feral, thieving is a constant worry as are armed muggings.

Been there lots of times, walked through the Barrios after midnight in Manilla, never a problem of any kind.

Everyone very polite, they actually seem to like foreigners (unlike Thais).

Saying that as a large white male.

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Been there lots of times, walked through the Barrios after midnight in Manilla, never a problem of any kind.

Everyone very polite, they actually seem to like foreigners (unlike Thais).

Saying that as a large white male.

BritmanToo,

Just the thought of it or potential dangers and constant begging just doesn't appeal to me at all.

I also hear the Filipino food was lousy and that view was reinforced when I watched a documentary featuring my favorite chef and travel writer, Anthony Bourdain, when he visited there.

I have met many Filipinos in Thailand, Cambodia and the UK, and of course, on cruise ships and they were all great, friendly and lovely people,

I just don't fancy the place and why is it they all want to work outside the country for years and years at a time?

Well, all the ones that I have met and it isn't just for financial reasons.

3 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

BritmanToo,

Just the thought of it or potential dangers and constant begging just doesn't appeal to me at all.

I also hear the Filipino food was lousy and that view was reinforced when I watched a documentary featuring my favorite chef and travel writer, Anthony Bourdain, when he visited there.

I have met many Filipinos in Thailand, Cambodia and the UK, and of course, on cruise ships and they were all great, friendly and lovely people,

I just don't fancy the place and why is it they all want to work outside the country for years and years at a time?

Well, all the ones that I have met and it isn't just for financial reasons.

They work abroad as it's the only way to dig themselves and their families out of grinding poverty. But yes, the food as sold on the street isn't very palatable to us westerners, and even the fast food they somehow manage to sxxxx up. Palm oil and sugar are virtual staples. But adobo is great and a variety of other dishes. Remember as a nation they were virtually destroyed by the Spanish and the Catholic church. Then the yanks. They've left scars. Just like all other colonisers. But in this instance, very little else.

The point is, you can find uninhabited islands with wonderful stretches of beach,  crystal clear water, diving and snorkeling sites second to none, and surfing. You don't have to even go to Manila, just fly through to Palawan, Boracay now they've reopened it, Bohol, and a million other totally safe places, really worth visiting. Shame all.people can talk about is mugging and thievery in the city centres. Who wants to go there anyway?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Potential dangers,

More worried about the danger of dying on Thai islands than being mugged in PI.

Beggers,

The occasional kid or granny outside 7-11 or walking in the road.

Generally much less begging than from the Rose ladies walking in Thai bars or tuk-tuk drivers in Thailand.

Food,

Every meal was great, although I mostly ate at Mexican, German or Oz/Brit restaurants.

Did have Pork Adobo at a local street restaurant, which was perfectly acceptable.

Alcoholic drinks,

A fraction of Thai prices.

Beaches,

Much nicer than any Thai beaches I've ever visited.

About 8 trips in the pre-COVID 4 years.

Zero problems with anyone.

Here's the Pork Adobo,

Essentially pork and potato stew served with rice.

IMG_20160818_131225.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

They work abroad as it's the only way to dig themselves and their families out of grinding poverty. But yes, the food as sold on the street isn't very palatable to us westerners, and even the fast food they somehow manage to sxxxx up. Palm oil and sugar are virtual staples. But adobo is great and a variety of other dishes. Remember as a nation they were virtually destroyed by the Spanish and the Catholic church. Then the yanks. They've left scars. Just like all other colonisers. But in this instance, very little else.

The point is, you can find uninhabited islands with wonderful stretches of beach,  crystal clear water, diving and snorkeling sites second to none, and surfing. You don't have to even go to Manila, just fly through to Palawan, Boracay now they've reopened it, Bohol, and a million other totally safe places, really worth visiting. Shame all.people can talk about is mugging and thievery in the city centres. Who wants to go there anyway?

Shame all.people can talk about is mugging and thievery in the city centres. 

Shame for sharing the experiences and feelings that they had personally witnessed and gone through, to another poster asking for people's personal views on the safety on the country ?

Shame on you for not understanding what the thread is about.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Shame all.people can talk about is mugging and thievery in the city centres. 

Shame for sharing the experiences and feelings that they had personally witnessed and gone through, to another poster asking for people's personal views on the safety on the country ?

Shame on you for not understanding what the thread is about.

But that's ALL they talk about. Don't give me your wretched guilt trip about not understanding what the thread is about. If you actually read the thread you'll see I admit to having lost my phone twice in Philippines, but that is had worse experiences in Thailand. The op was being fed a lot of scare mongering stuff that happens in every city on earth. Nothing about the beautiful, safe, islands and beaches, flora and fauna, and people. Honi soit qui mal y pense!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IME I have been able to move freely around Thailand without awareness above normal precautions. From the accounts of others, that freedom of movement is much more problematic in the Philippines.

The safest I have ever felt in a foreign country is Japan, one gets the feeling it would be a national shaming if a foreigner was attacked or harassed in any way.

It is possible for a tourist to drift into an area of higher risk without knowing it. I found that out during walking in New York, and suddenly realizing I was the only white face among quite a few black ones. Harlem.

I have not been to Japan, but it's exactly the same in South Korea. Also Taiwan and Singapore.

13 minutes ago, bradiston said:

But that's ALL they talk about. Don't give me your wretched guilt trip about not understanding what the thread is about. If you actually read the thread you'll see I admit to having lost my phone twice in Philippines, but that is had worse experiences in Thailand. The op was being fed a lot of scare mongering stuff that happens in every city on earth. Nothing about the beautiful, safe, islands and beaches, flora and fauna, and people. Honi soit qui mal y pense!

I and a few of the others did not go to the beautiful, safe, islands and beaches, how are we supposed to share experiences that we never had.

Are you suggesting that we should lie or be quiet of what we experienced because it doesn't match your views and experiences?

You still think that you understand this thread after shaming the people who have tried to share their personal experiences?

Edited by Bert got kinky

22 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

I and a few of the others did not go to the beautiful, safe, islands and beaches, how are we supposed to share experiences that we never had.

Are you suggesting that we should lie or be quiet of what we experienced because it doesn't match your views and experiences?

You still think that you understand this thread after shaming the people who have tried to share their personal experiences?

I said "Shame all people..." That's shorthand for "It's a shame all people can talk about is the muggings..." not "Shame on all people". But you and others have managed to persuade the op never to go there, based on your horrible experiences. Why don't you apologise for that, at least to the Philippine people, now you've seen the light, and admit you only saw one side of the Philippines? And quit having a go at me who has some very positive things to say about it. And try visiting some of the beautiful places there.

19 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I said "Shame all people..." That's shorthand for "It's a shame all people can talk about is the muggings..." not "Shame on all people". But you and others have managed to persuade the op never to go there, based on your horrible experiences. Why don't you apologise for that, at least to the Philippine people, now you've seen the light, and admit you only saw one side of the Philippines? And quit having a go at me who has some very positive things to say about it. And try visiting some of the beautiful places there.

Shame on all people". But you and others have managed to persuade the op never to go there, based on your horrible experiences.

Are you having problems understanding.

We shared our real experiences.

Why is this so very difficult for you to understand?

and admit you only saw one side of the Philippines?

I admitted that right near the start of the thread.

On the first page of this thread I openly stated 'Maybe I just has a bad experience but it totally put me off going back.'.

I was just sharing the side that I had seen, I could not share an experience I never had.

And quit having a go at me who has some very positive things to say about it.

Why are you now trying to play the victim.

Nowhere in this thread have you been attached for giving your views o the Philippines.

In fact, you were the one who attacked people for sharing their experiences.

If you feel that someone was 'having a go at you' for saying anything very positive about the Philippines, please point out the post.

Edited by Bert got kinky

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I totally agree having been to Thailand, Japan and the Philippines for extended periods. The only thing in Japan may be that you visist a "wrong" bar in an entertainment district where they could scam you. There are videos on YouTube about that. I have never been in such a situation. Easy to avoid. Otherwise it is as safe as could be as you say.

A friend of mine has been living in New York and he told me that the border between safe and unsafe may even depend on which side of the (same) road you are walking. Where you are might be safe but across the street and you might get in trouble he said. But New York is not a place I would like to visit anyway.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Potential dangers,

More worried about the danger of dying on Thai islands than being mugged in PI.

Beggers,

The occasional kid or granny outside 7-11 or walking in the road.

Generally much less begging than from the Rose ladies walking in Thai bars or tuk-tuk drivers in Thailand.

Food,

Every meal was great, although I mostly ate at Mexican, German or Oz/Brit restaurants.

Did have Pork Adobo at a local street restaurant, which was perfectly acceptable.

Alcoholic drinks,

A fraction of Thai prices.

Beaches,

Much nicer than any Thai beaches I've ever visited.

About 8 trips in the pre-COVID 4 years.

Zero problems with anyone.

Here's the Pork Adobo,

Essentially pork and potato stew served with rice.

IMG_20160818_131225.jpg

Allow me to suggest a sixty-something reasonably fit-looking male would be a less inviting target than a middle-aged female.

Where does this reputation of Thai islands come from?

Edited by Lacessit

6 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

If you are within a family group then you will be protected by them

And if my grandmother had wheels, she would have been a bike.

And exactly how is that relevant? 

it is perfectly possible to make a relationship with a Filipino or Filipina and so gain the family group protection.

6 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

The OP is a single female traveler and is not in a family group, nor does she have any guides to steer her clear of problems.

So that is an excellent reason to avoid the reasonable chances of problems, isn’t it.

Food,

So as I said that is the way to have a verity of good food.

There are a few Filipino meals that are reasonable, though the seasoning is mostly confined to salt and garlic. 

The problem is not that you cannot get reasonably good Filipino meals, it is that there is little variation in what is available so you are forced to eat non Filipino food or the same few dishes.

1 hour ago, coralia said:

I have not been to Japan, but it's exactly the same in South Korea. Also Taiwan and Singapore.

Having lived in Japan, Taiwan, Singapore and visited South Korea, Japan easily is the safest place with very little crime, if you ignore bicycle and motorcycle theft, virtually every Japanese person of the thousands I interacted with over the years has had at least 1 bicycle stolen, some several, personally I have had 2 motorcycles stolen. But for other things even items dropped are usually returned to the owner, possibly because it is expected that there will be a 10% finders fee, even as a foreigner I was told of the custom be the police.