Safety for solo travellers in the Philippines

coralia

I have never been to the Philippines. Is it a safe country to visit? I am a middle-aged woman travelling alone, and I like to walk around a lot. I don't go out after dark and I'm not interested in nightlife or anything like that. I am worried about muggings and violence in the streets. I have been to many other Asian countries. Should I consider the Philippines as a travel destination?

Thank you.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hansombeast said:

The philllipines is the same as any destination these days, pick pockets are usual around daytime ,malls and markets mostly kids.

Usual advice is not to wear flash and expensive jewelry.

Not exactly. I haven't been to Phil but many other countries. I've only been pickpocketed by kids in Mexico.

Here in Songkran out on the streets packed like sardines but no problem.

• Love It 2

I have lived in Asia for 29 years and the only time that I felt scared was in Manila (for an entire week).

The first indication that this place was not safe is how taxi drivers act with street hawkers.

As in many countries in SE Asia, there are street hawkers selling their wares to car drivers/passengers at junctions with traffic lights.

In the poorest areas of Bangkok a taxi driver wouldn't think twice of fully opening the rear windows so that a fare could buy something from the vendors.

In Manila, the taxi drivers would only crack the window open enough to slide the money/goods through the gap, for fear of being robbed.

I was advised by the hotel staff not to go out after dark, even to the 7-11, as "someone might shoot you".

This was the Edsa area in the mid 90s, so I don't know if this is normal all over Manila or if Edsa was just a rough area back then.

Maybe the hotel staff were being over cautious and were alarmists but even without their warning, I never felt safe there.

When I went to other areas of Manila, I was besieged with beggars (men, women and children) and the sheer numbers that surrounded me at times left me feeling nervous that I could get pick-pocketed/mugged at any time.

By the time that I left the Philippines, I was a paranoid wreck.

I swore (and still swear) I would never go back again.

6 hours ago, sidjameson said:

I was on a local bus that was held up by a thug. 

I was also pickpocketed by kids.

I also had to give a crazy guy  small money to avoid nastiness.

None of these things happened to me elsewhere

Thank you for sharing ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

I have lived in Asia for 29 years and the only time that I felt scared was in Manila (for an entire week).

The first indication that this place was not safe is how taxi drivers act with street hawkers.

As in many countries in SE Asia, there are street hawkers selling their wares to car drivers/passengers at junctions with traffic lights.

In the poorest areas of Bangkok a taxi driver wouldn't think twice of fully opening the rear windows so that a fare could buy something from the vendors.

In Manila, the taxi drivers would only crack the window open enough to slide the money/goods through the gap, for fear of being robbed.

I was advised by the hotel staff not to go out after dark, even to the 7-11, as "someone might shoot you".

This was the Edsa area in the mid 90s, so I don't know if this is normal all over Manila or if Edsa was just a rough area back then.

Maybe the hotel staff were being over cautious and were alarmists but even without their warning, I never felt safe there.

When I went to other areas of Manila, I was besieged with beggars (men, women and children) and the sheer numbers that surrounded me at times left me feeling nervous that I could get pick-pocketed/mugged at any time.

By the time that I left the Philippines, I was a paranoid wreck.

I swore (and still swear) I would never go back again.

Sounds like India...... Thank you for sharing ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

OP not sure where you are from but here is the Canadian risk warning.  These are updated on a regular basis and are reliable

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/philippines

If you knew nothing about the geography of the Philippines and you read that most would not look any further at all :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

This was the Edsa area in the mid 90s

Do you mean in the area of the EDSA Entertainment Complex as EDSA itself is a long road?

I was there mid late 90s and out to the small hours in many parts of Manila including there and don't remember feeling threatened.  I didn't consider getting in cars with strangers however..........

• Like 1

Don't know, if I'm only a lucky guy, but living in Manila since 2001, never had any bad experience. Before the pandemic I also used to enjoy the night life, but there it's up to you, if you will get screwed by a lady of the night. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, topt said:

If you knew nothing about the geography of the Philippines and you read that most would not look any further at all :thumbsup:

Do you mean in the area of the EDSA Entertainment Complex as EDSA itself is a long road?

I was there mid late 90s and out to the small hours in many parts of Manila including there and don't remember feeling threatened.  I didn't consider getting in cars with strangers however..........

I really don't know, it was a long time ago, I stayed in the Byron Edsa Hotel if that helps.

Maybe I just has a bad experience but it totally put me off going back.

8 hours ago, sidjameson said:

I've heard from phillipino friends that crime is pretty bad there.

But be smart and aware and you'll be fine.  Philippines are absolutely beautiful along with the ladies. 

• Like 1

If you have some interests, there is communities like yoga, diving, climbing etc where you have people around you and can socialize with, and it kind of make you feel safer as well information is shared. 

Also easier to find travel partners on the way if you backpacking. 

Thailand is in many ways an easier destination and safer for women if you do not get stupid drunk or walk alone in the dark, but still very rear things go bad in Thailand if you look at numbers. 

Manilla is much the same as any other SEA city but you are far more likely to get scammed by public officials (Immigration, Customs, Police) than normal folk. Makati is about as safe as you can get so it makes a good start/finish point to your visit.

Philippines is of course much poorer than many of its neighbors so begging and pick-pocketing are endemic so, as was mentioned earlier, don't flaunt. If you are a Westerner it doesn't matter because they assume you are rich anyway and getting mobbed by street urchins is par for the course!

Try and find yourself a personal driver, there are many of them all over the country and you can usually find a local or expat who can give you a recommendation and contact number. I usually pay them upwards of $20 per day (plus fuel) and for that they will wait on you night and day. Get photos of the vehicle along with the driver's ID and license and send the pics to friends/family. Lay down some ground rules: no wives/girlfriends (or you'll end up paying for a lavish meal somewhere), no phone/texting while driving and definitely no alcohol.

Finally, stay away from the south of the country, Duterte may have dealt with Abu Sayaf on a military level but they are definitely still there - and a menace to any foreigners.

Edited by 3STTW

I'm a single over 70 white male, so YMMV!

It depends a lot on where you choose to go. Siargao, which I love, Surigao, Bacolod and some places in north east Mindanao I never felt threatened in. More's the pity as I got my phone knabbed in a jeepney in Bacolod, and a phone knabbed in a shopping mall. But there was never a hint of violence, just they were smarter than me. You MUST safeguard whatever property you carry around with you, whichever way suits you best. I know many who only carry a 1000 peso note plus a lot of change, and a cheap chuckaway phone when they head out. Maybe a card, but maybe remove the 3 digit security number. Best to travel with a companion. I never saw many, or even any, single non Filippinas travelling, of any age, but there are a lot of American Mormons and 7th Day Adventists in the Philippines.

I haven't been there myself but I'd suggest Palawan might suit you. I think you'd find a very safe environment to walk in, swim, snorkel etc etc, and a lot of resorts to meet people in. Just my inexperienced but considered opinion. I've visited Philippines often, but never ever stayed in Manila except one night. Not my cup of tea at all!

• Thumbs Up 1

I would suggest Thailand and Vietnam are better choices.

From what I have heard from people who have been to the Philippines, it is probably the most violent of the Asian countries, due to poverty and the proliferation of guns. A middle-aged foreign woman would be an easy target.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have been mugged twice in my life, once in Manila, and once in south London in the UK. In my opinion Thailand is safer than both the Philippines and the UK. I have also heard that Vietnam is safe for foreigners. I have never been there myself.

• Love It 1

Your age will have some bearing on what can be "dangerous" or any potential specific offences. How you dress and as others have said, wherever you are, flaunting yourself or your jewelry is best avoided.

Nevertheless, I have visited the Philippines twice, once to Dipalog and to Davao, last occasion 2015. 

There is a general atmosphere of the Philippines in my limited experience that, while I was not affected as an older man by possible dangers, I felt uncomfortable with the presence of security guards everywhere and they all had some sort of weapon that was a bit scary to see. 

For a holiday, I would guess you would want to go to the places that tourists go to and therefore, as everywhere else, that attracts the unworthy of humanity.

Thailand is not without problems similar but without that feeling of having the need to continue looking over your shoulder. 

I think wherever you go, you try to assess the risks, but take a calculated risk and in most cases, you will be free of trouble,

• Thumbs Up 2

Like most have mentioned, stay away from Manila.  If you fly from Thailand, I suggest flying to Angeles City  instead of Manila.  AC is where the old Clark US Air Force base was.  From there you could head down to SBMA, (Subic Bay Metro Authority about 45 minute drive), that's where the old Subic Bay Navy Base was.  It's fairly safe there and has some decent hotels; Best Western, etc. that are safe to stay at.  You may encounter a few beggars, people trying to sell you stuff, etc. but they're not to agressive.  If you go there, do not venture out to the Barrio or Orlongapo City, nothing for you there.

Someone earlier mentioned Palawan.  I  highly second that recommendation.  Palawan is a completely different experience than Manila / Luzon.  I felt completely safe there, the people are extremely friendly and they love thier island.  There's a lot of things to do and see there.  Very few beggars, panhandlers, etc.  In fact if locals see them pestering you, they will shoo them away from you.  It's a short hop from AC to Palawan.  Again; avoid Manila.

Other than in Thailand, for the Philippines you better book accomodation and transportation in advance, to not get your luggane pulled away from you by some moronic taxidriver who insists 'bringing you to his sister's hotel'.

And many hotels in the Philippines are filthy abandoned garbage. (living) Standards are VERY different from Thailand.

Tip: bring some survival food like muesli bars etc. for te first days. Edible food can be far away, unless you don't mind eating the intestines of a cat.

I suppose it depends whereabouts in the Philippines you go.

I have been to Cebu, Bohol, Dumaguete, Siquijor, Puerto Galera, Guimaras and Boracay in the early 2000's.

Admittedly, mainly for diving so we were not doing much nightlife, and some of these places were very quiet apart from Boracay. Never experienced or saw any trouble anywhere.

Flew from BKK into Cebu then, though not sure if still possible.

I would avoid Manila like the plague. Too much crime, too many bad stories.

Edited by phetphet

I worked in Manila in 2007 and it was safe. I used to go running most nights through some pretty dark areas and never had an issue.

I also had more than a few good nights out with foreign and sometimes local work mates and never had an hassles in taxis. 

Just don't go around flashing the cash too much, especially at night and being in some areas like Malate or Bugis St need a bit of awareness. I never carried a wallet, I just took cash which I distributed on myself Just in case I did get pick pocketed or robbed, neither of which ever happened.

Nice people in my opinion, helpful and polite on the whole and speaking English is a bonus. Taxi drivers are rogues but same old advise applies, just stick to meter taxis.

I have learnt to ignore random pleas for money and assistance from local drunks etc.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I would suggest Thailand and Vietnam are better choices.

From what I have heard from people who have been to the Philippines, it is probably the most violent of the Asian countries, due to poverty and the proliferation of guns. A middle-aged foreign woman would be an easy target.

Would you suggest ko Tau for a single female?

I never heard of rape and murder in the Philippines!

14 hours ago, sidjameson said:

'local bus'  (jeepney etc.)  -  drivers can be crazy, drive way too fast. 

'upcountry bigger van and driver, hired by my company  - trip from Makati to industrial site 1.5 hrs trip, driver was given lecture about careful driving but he was crazy, refused to listen to requests to slow down or stop for toilet break/coffee etc., and played chicken with vehicles coming from opposite direction. Driver hit a cow, serious argument, driver pulled out his handgun and threatened to shoot a kid maybe 5 yrs old. Pasengers pooled some mney quickly and gave it to the cow owner.

Several passengers were Japanese engineers on a work ptoject to inspect/assess an industrial site, they were shocked and horrified. 

On arrival at destination, drivers behavior reported to main company office in Makati along with demand to find another van and driver to take us back to Makati. New driver about 30% better. 

Edited by scorecard