Renewing Insurance for a Friend's Motorscooter

Barley

Hello,

a friend left me a motorcycle while away on a trip and said I can use it, if I want.

Now the absence has become more extended and the insurance ran out by the end of August.

Since I would like to use the motorscooter once in a while, I wonder if I can go to an insurance company in Chiang Mai with the rolled up proof of insurance affixed to the license plate of the bike and just pay for an insurance renewal, which I think should be around 300 THB and get a new proof of insurance with the huge year printed on it, so that I will be fine again.

Can I do it? Any pitfalls to watch out for?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

You need green book, it's to check it isn't stolen

Right, the green book is a necessity for each step of the renewal. Irrelevant who is in possession of this book (Perhaps unless the police is looking for that book hehe).

A friend of mine left the country with his green book, for a new CBR 150. Never knew why he could not mail it back.

The motorbike ended up being given away, to be used up country, no way to get registration and insurance sticker...

Now I see the reply of 'Onemorefarang'.  Regarding the Green book, story many years ago, perhaps 14 years ago. Maybe the process got changed in the meantime. But back then, we looked a long time for a solution for this unusable motorbike. Ended up being away..

Edited by Andre0720
New info added
  • Like 1

You did not mention how old the bike is.

If 5 years or more an inspection is needed.

Also tax payment at the DLT ("motor office") where you get the sticker for another year.

For that and a potential inspection the green book is needed.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No. (Government) Insurance works just fine without that book. I did it several times.

May work but without (inspection), tax and the new sticker you are not legal on the road 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

He talked about insurance and not tax.

For insurance you don't need an inspection and no green book.

Correct. I insure mine annually by just sending the vehicles ID number and plate number to the Insurer.

OP, what you are describing as "the rolled up proof of insurance" is the yearly tax/registration sticker.

Renewing the compulsory insurance is a component of getting a new sticker, but only renewing the insurance wont get you a new sticker.

To renew sticker/tax/insurance in one stop, go to a local inspection station (identified by a yellow cog symbol), but you will need the green book for the bike.

Vehicle inspection - Thailand Motor Discussion - Thailand News, Travel &  Forum - ASEAN NOW

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No. (Government) Insurance works just fine without that book. I did it several times.

What use would just renewing the insurance be, that wont get the OP a new yearly sticker, which is clearly what he is talking about. (he appears to be referring to the sticker as insurance).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

He talked about insurance and not tax.

For insurance you don't need an inspection and no green book.

And what do understand from that?

"rolled up proof of insurance affixed to the license plate of the bike"

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree the OP is referring to the tax sticker, but that does include 3rd party insurance, BUT that only covers injury to other people and not property, that is purchased separately. So its up to you but i prefer to use a testing station aka; yellow cog symbol, rather than deal with the transport office, I pay 200b for a car check and 50b to have the book & tax sent ems back to me (given a receipt you can show the cops if stopped) . insurance i buy  from the testing station.

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

but that does include 3rd party insurance, BUT that only covers injury to other people and not property

You're wrong! 

My pal toppled his m/c over in his driveway and broke his hip. 3rd party insurance paid his 40k(?) government hospital bill. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Right, the green book is a necessity for each step of the renewal. Irrelevant who is in possession of this book (Perhaps unless the police is looking for that book hehe).

A friend of mine left the country with his green book, for a new CBR 150. Never knew why he could not mail it back.

The motorbike ended up being given away, to be used up country, no way to get registration and insurance sticker...

Now I see the reply of 'Onemorefarang'.  Regarding the Green book, story many years ago, perhaps 14 years ago. Maybe the process got changed in the meantime. But back then, we looked a long time for a solution for this unusable motorbike. Ended up being away..

Always keep or get a copy of the green book then the bike can be kept up to date. 

Edited by Kwasaki

10 hours ago, Barley said:

That's exactly the problem. I do not have a copy or the actual green book.

So that would mean, I cannot get the sticker to pass a police check point, correct!?

Well ask your friend to send you a copy of the green book, i don't understand why he would not do that.

If he refuses his green book will be useless if he doesn't let you keep the bike up to date the DLT will remove it from registration.

7 minutes ago, Barley said:

How long after insurance expiry will it be removed? 

It has nothing to do with insurance the registration of the motorbike bike produces a green book for motorbikes which then makes the owner label to pay a road tax which receited by giving the person with the bike a ROAD DISC to display on the bike annually.

If the bike is not updated with this road tax disc for 7 years i believe the time limit is the bike will be unregistered.

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

They don't issue stickers.

They do issue stickers they are yellow and can be used to stick the road disc on the bike with the clear peel off sticky part. 

I roll my one up and put it in this.

16678097151561789779246.thumb.jpg.52b86777e902d41dc750507dc8340d85.jpg

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

They do issue stickers they are yellow and can be used to stick the road disc on the bike with the clear peel off sticky part. 

I roll my one up and put it in this.

f al he wants is a yellow sticker and MY DIY with have a roll he can cut one from.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

It has nothing to do with insurance the registration of the motorbike bike produces a green book for motorbikes which then makes the owner label to pay a road tax which receited by giving the person with the bike a ROAD DISC to display on the bike annually.

If the bike is not updated with this road tax disc for 7 years i believe the time limit is the bike will be unregistered.

You are saying the bike will be unregistered if 7 years of unpaid road tax have accumulated? So basically 7 years from now?

And what about the rolled up certificate in your picture: Can I get this from the insurance company after paying the premium, or can I only get this after having paid the road tax AND the insurance premium?

On 11/6/2022 at 6:46 AM, KhunBENQ said:

You did not mention how old the bike is.

If 5 years or more an inspection is needed.

Also tax payment at the DLT ("motor office") where you get the sticker for another year.

For that and a potential inspection the green book is needed.

or a copy

4 hours ago, Barley said:

And what about the rolled up certificate in your picture: Can I get this from the insurance company after paying the premium, or can I only get this after having paid the road tax AND the insurance premium?

That is the Tax 'sticker'. You purchase compulsory Gov't insurance first, which can be done at the DLT, take the receipt inside, pay the road tax, and get that 'rolled up certificate'.

You can get it from the insurance company who sells you additional insurance, but save yourself the trip. If the bike is more than 5 years old it needs inspection first. Let the inspection station do all the paperwork for a nominal fee.

Just did that with PCX and CRF. They have never been to the DLT ever since I took delivery.

Inspection station needs the green book - here in CNX - to have the new tax paid entry typed in the green book.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Barley said:

You are saying the bike will be unregistered if 7 years of unpaid road tax have accumulated? So basically 7 years from now?

Leaving a vehicle untaxed for road and not having the rolled up certificate you refer to, which is the road tax disc will eventually lead to unregistering the vehicle.

Also fines by police. 

The road tax disc can only be obtained with the green bike book or a photocopy of the green book and certificate of CTPL govt insurance.

When the bike becomes 5 years old you need an inspection certification as well. 

Nearly all places where you get a 5 year old bike inspection of the bike will get the CTPL and road tax disc for you from the local DLT. 

• Thanks 1