Viral Tattoo: Foreigner causes internet stir after weird request

webfact

9 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Reminds me of people who get Chinese Characters as tattoos. One friend had one on his ankle and asked a Chinese Girl what it meant. He was expecting Hope or Desire.

She said it said 'beef mushroom and fried rice" number 47. ????

I remember the girl on Soi 7 Pattaya a number of years ago who had "TONKA" across her shoulders.

The supposed tattoos in the article look like regular ink that will wash off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My first thought when reading this was "Google translate - notoriously inaccurate". I agree this was true some time back, but find the Google translation very handy & accurate these days. Am I missing something ?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, malt25 said:

My first thought when reading this was "Google translate - notoriously inaccurate". I agree this was true some time back, but find the Google translation very handy & accurate these days. Am I missing something ?

It depends on what you're trying to translate. Single words are OK. Short phrases can be accurate, but the longer the phrase the more incomprehensible. The biggest reason is that Google does not hear and translate the tones in Asian languages which contribute to the meaning of words. It also has a hard time with syntax, which is often reversed or absent completely.

Edited by Jonathan Swift
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Reminds me of people who get Chinese Characters as tattoos. One friend had one on his ankle and asked a Chinese Girl what it meant. He was expecting Hope or Desire.

She said it said 'beef mushroom and fried rice" number 47. ????

Yes, the Chinese characters, especially in combination can be interpreted different ways. Going to study in Shanghai in the summer of 1986, Chinese friends wrote out the characters. Then he said, he thought of slightly different, more polite characters. The first characters could be seen as, "Powerful Mandarin from the West". Yea, right ... ha! Over the top.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

I guess it is still a fad to get Japanese or Chinese Kanji tattoos done these days. Not a fan myself, too easy to make some hilariously stupid errors. Saw a guy who had a weird tattoo so I asked him, "what does it mean".  He said "I think it is 'samurai', but some people laugh when they see it".  Actually, it meant "hemmorhoid"- the symbols for hemmorhoid and samurai are similar, and he had a foreign tattoo artist do his tat. 

Wow, that guy must have been a total _ss hole!