Viral Tattoo: Foreigner causes internet stir after weird request

webfact

Just now, cdemundo said:

The thing about St. Margaret's Bell Gardens is that it is an obscure church in an unknown town.

If the t-shirt had said for example, "Notre Dame, Paris" it would not be as incongruous to the hipster ensemble.

This fine, but would you mind sending us a link to this St Margaret's place as all I can find is the one in SJC which is miles away from Bell Gardens.

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I had no idea of the relevance. 

Exactly, it is an obscure church in an obscure town.

That is the point.

The t-shirt was out of place in Thailand and referred to something that was incongruous to hipster fashion.

Had it said "Notre Dame, Paris" it would have been less incongruous as it is world famous.

Humor is subjective, you didn't find it funny, I understand.

On 11/8/2022 at 12:07 PM, daveAustin said:

Eh? Must’ve missed that. From what I read most of them seemed more interested to see what was between their legs. 

That speaks volumes.

No more cheese bites, I hear them cry.

On 11/8/2022 at 1:10 PM, Laughing Gravy said:

Reminds me of people who get Chinese Characters as tattoos. One friend had one on his ankle and asked a Chinese Girl what it meant. He was expecting Hope or Desire.

She said it said 'beef mushroom and fried rice" number 47. ????

Of course, it did.   You wouldn't half-inch a really old, hackneyed story, would you?

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2022 at 10:46 AM, wolf81 said:

When I wear my relaxing shorts outside, my gf sometimes complains that people might get a hit of my package size. I think it's no big deal - certainly it's just normal shorts from a European perspective.

I think people can hardly see anything, but perhaps there's more to it ... I might be more careful with what I wear outside the home, judging by these comments.

She probably doesn't want people to see how tiny her boyfriend is.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, cdemundo said:

It is a Christian church and religious elementary school in the city of Bell Gardens, California.

Just called St. Margaret's to refer to both or one, the church runs the school.

What was confusing about it?

"What was confusing about it?"

Nothing, without using any excessive, over-the-top adjectives, personally, I thought it was as "chic, cool, great, stylish and edgy" as the girl you touched on describing!  

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 10:36 AM, ikke1959 said:

The netizens who are so innocent are always upset..... especialy if foreigners do something... 

Like take a dump?

Anyhow, tattoos are self mutilation, can't even understand why they are allowed.  

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Like take a dump?

Anyhow, tattoos are self mutilation, can't even understand why they are allowed.  

It is almost impossible to find someone who doesn't have a tattoo nowadays..20 years back it was rarly and only certain people had one, but now it seems if don't have one you are not normal anymore.. Mutilation of your body..... and why?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 9:25 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

You mean her bra?   Last person I heard use the word "brassiere" was my grandmother and I'm in my seventies.

I'm in my 70's as well.  I use the word even if I didn't spell it correctly.   I don't recall my grandmother ever talking about her undergarments.     

Might have something with her growing up in back woods Louisiana in the early 1900's.  I'm not even sure women wore brassieres in the back woods of Louisiana back then. 

19 hours ago, radiochaser said:
On 12/6/2022 at 9:25 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

You mean her bra?   Last person I heard use the word "brassiere" was my grandmother and I'm in my seventies.

I'm in my 70's as well.  I use the word even if I didn't spell it correctly.   I don't recall my grandmother ever talking about her undergarments. 

I didn't say that my grandmother talked about her underwear either, I referred to her, and others of her era's, use of the word.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:09 AM, cdemundo said:

I wasn't being rude, I just wondered what was confusing.

It was a straight forward question with nothing but curiosity behind it.

I am not trying to turn this into a 15 round bout,

I thought the poster was an English speaker so some cultural conventions are shared.

I believe the UK, USA, Canada, NZ, all the European countries have a similar convention.

For instance "Notre Dame, Paris" is in the category.

You don't have to know anything about St. Margarets  in Bell Gardens, it is a question of categories,

What type of thing is St. Margarets  in Bell Gardens?

If I read something that referred to "St Peter's, Macclesfield" I would understand the type of thing it was and 

why it was incongruous to hipster fashion without even knowing if "St Peter's, Macclesfield" existed or not.

What if the t-shirt had said "St Peter's, Macclesfield" would that have been confusing?

Again, I am just curious about it.

What's wrong with Macclesfield?