Viral Tattoo: Foreigner causes internet stir after weird request

webfact

6 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

I guess it is still a fad to get Japanese or Chinese Kanji tattoos done these days. Not a fan myself, too easy to make some hilariously stupid errors. Saw a guy who had a weird tattoo so I asked him, "what does it mean".  He said "I think it is 'samurai', but some people laugh when they see it".  Actually, it meant "hemmorhoid"- the symbols for hemmorhoid and samurai are similar, and he had a foreign tattoo artist do his tat. 

The Grapes of Wrath..........

7 hours ago, Buriramfelang said:

I once saw a young Thai girl, too young to understand, on a SkyTrain in BKK wearing a t shirt that read "if God hadn't wanted me to have sex why did he give me a huge cock" I was embarrassed for her but how could I tell her.

Google "young girl wears inappropriate t-shirt" and look at the images (should be safe for work LOL)

There are so many T-shirts that really should NOT be worn by kids.

8 hours ago, Dexxter said:

Google "young girl wears inappropriate t-shirt" and look at the images (should be safe for work LOL)

Just like this teen walking in the market probably with her mother, wearing a nice t-shirt that read:

"I <deleted> on first date'.

No kidding.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

I remember the girl on Soi 7 Pattaya a number of years ago who had "TONKA" across her shoulders.

The supposed tattoos in the article look like regular ink that will wash off.

TONKA ? As an innocent, please explain.

19 hours ago, Buriramfelang said:

I once saw a young Thai girl, too young to understand, on a SkyTrain in BKK wearing a t shirt that read "if God hadn't wanted me to have sex why did he give me a huge cock" I was embarrassed for her but how could I tell her.

If u did,sHE would have let u have a feel 

Sanook chose to focus on the comments of people; many were women who wanted the camera to pan right to get a better view of the recipient's "package".

When I wear my relaxing shorts outside, my gf sometimes complains that people might get a hit of my package size. I think it's no big deal - certainly it's just normal shorts from a European perspective.

I think people can hardly see anything, but perhaps there's more to it ... I might be more careful with what I wear outside the home, judging by these comments.

3 hours ago, Gandtee said:

TONKA ? As an innocent, please explain.

Tonka is/was a famous Toy manufacturer. Mostly toy trucks and cars amongst other toys. It printed the name TONKA on all it's products. Whoever gave the word to the lady was malicious. Apparently it was explained to the lady at a later date, but she didn't care. She liked the shape and style of the lettering and had no interest in the meaning.

A worse instance of tattooing was the case of the Thai man on Soi 8 (hung out near Cherry bar) who allowed people (Tourist Scum) to tattoo their names on his face for 100/200 baht. His face was destroyed with names.

Edited by Joe Farang
sic

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 10:55 AM, Dexxter said:

My Thai wife, who reads, writes, and speaks English, met her niece at Chatuchak Market one day.  Her niece was wearing a T shirt with a very obscene phrase in English about what sexual act a woman wanted a man to perform on her.   

My wife told her niece what the phrase meant.  Niece was so shocked she removed the shirt, trashed it, leaving her brassier on top, and went to find a new shirt.  Niece was wearing a new shirt, with no words on it, a minute later. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 12:52 PM, cdemundo said:

Nothing obscene but I saw a very chic, stylish young lady on the BTS, cool short edgy haircut, great makeup, stylish pants and shoes.

But the t-shirt negated the effect with the word "Saint Margaret's Bell Gardens".

I searched the internet for the phrase, "Saint Margaret's Bell Gardens".  Your post was the only response to the search. 

I am still curious as to what it means or refers to?

9 hours ago, radiochaser said:

I searched the internet for the phrase, "Saint Margaret's Bell Gardens".  Your post was the only response to the search. 

I am still curious as to what it means or refers to?

It is a Christian church and religious elementary school in the city of Bell Gardens, California.

Just called St. Margaret's to refer to both or one, the church runs the school.

What was confusing about it?

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2022 at 1:22 AM, Joe Farang said:

I remember the girl on Soi 7 Pattaya a number of years ago who had "TONKA" across her shoulders.

The supposed tattoos in the article look like regular ink that will wash off.

Was it Toy?

On 11/8/2022 at 8:02 AM, Jonathan Swift said:

It depends on what you're trying to translate. Single words are OK. Short phrases can be accurate, but the longer the phrase the more incomprehensible. The biggest reason is that Google does not hear and translate the tones in Asian languages which contribute to the meaning of words. It also has a hard time with syntax, which is often reversed or absent completely.

I did an Education Visa in Bangkok an intensive course speaking,reading and writing in the Thai language and the very first thing one of the Thai teachers said was ‘we don’t use the tones we go on the context’!

16 hours ago, cdemundo said:

It is a Christian church and religious elementary school in the city of Bell Gardens, California.

Just called St. Margaret's to refer to both or one, the church runs the school.

What was confusing about it?

The almighty Google says that St Margaret's Episcopal School is in San Juan Capistrano, wherever that is. 

The only ref that I could find where the two are mentioned together is this sports result. Dunno what game it is, lacrosse maybe? ????

https://scorebooklive.com/california/basketball/games/1387256-bell-gardens-vs-st-margarets

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Why it might be referred to in a Thailand forum to an audience from all over the world as if they are supposed to know what on Earth is being talked of?

I wasn't being rude, I just wondered what was confusing.

It was a straight forward question with nothing but curiosity behind it.

I am not trying to turn this into a 15 round bout,

I thought the poster was an English speaker so some cultural conventions are shared.

I believe the UK, USA, Canada, NZ, all the European countries have a similar convention.

For instance "Notre Dame, Paris" is in the category.

You don't have to know anything about St. Margarets  in Bell Gardens, it is a question of categories,

What type of thing is St. Margarets  in Bell Gardens?

If I read something that referred to "St Peter's, Macclesfield" I would understand the type of thing it was and 

why it was incongruous to hipster fashion without even knowing if "St Peter's, Macclesfield" existed or not.

What if the t-shirt had said "St Peter's, Macclesfield" would that have been confusing?

Again, I am just curious about it.

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

The almighty Google says that St Margaret's Episcopal School is in San Juan Capistrano, wherever that is. 

The only ref that I could find where the two are mentioned together is this sports result. Dunno what game it is, lacrosse maybe? ????

https://scorebooklive.com/california/basketball/games/1387256-bell-gardens-vs-st-margarets

The thing about St. Margaret's Bell Gardens is that it is an obscure church in an unknown town.

If the t-shirt had said for example, "Notre Dame, Paris" it would not be as incongruous to the hipster ensemble.