Thaksin's Bid For Liverpool Slips To Failure

george

Thai PM's bid for Liverpool slips from fanfare to failure

BANGKOK: -- Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's dreams of acquiring a 30 percent stake in English club Liverpool lie in tatters, with analysts and observers decrying Thailand's latest schemes to revive the bid as farcical.

The Thai goal of buying into the Premiership side was touted by the government first as a source of unifying national pride.

But in the end it has brought ridicule, a loss of face and raised eyebrows among foreign observers and investors over the administration's motives over the bid.

"The deal is not a good image for Thai people," media rights campaigner Supinya Klangnarong told AFP of the continuing and shifting attempts to secure some form of a buy-in despite a loud chorus of opposition.

"I don't think the international community would admire us for what our government or businesses are trying to do."

Supinya, who is currently being sued by Thaksin for alleging that a conglomerate he founded that is now run by his family has benefited under his tenure, said the premier at least distanced his administration from the deal when opposition reached fever pitch.

Had a deal gone through Thaksin may have broken barriers as the first Asian to have bought their way into the world's wealthiest football league.

England's Premiership enjoys massive popularity in Thailand, partly because its games are screened live here during prime viewing time.

In May, Thaksin, a billionaire-turned-politician and an avowed football fan, launched his campaign.

The Thai press seized on the drama, and within days he found himself backpedaling over the bid in which at first he had been expected to use over 4.0 billion baht (100 million dollars) of his own fortune.

From the start, two of three Thais thought a government-funded stake would be a waste of state money, according to a survey reported in The Nation newspaper. Then it got worse.

Thaksin variously announced plans to use taxpayer money, float shares on the Thai stock exchange, and eventually launch a massive 250 million dollar public lottery to raise the money.

But the Thai fantasy of pulling strings at the top of one of the world's most celebrated sports dynasties unravelled.

In June he backed out altogether, handing over control of negotiations to Paiboon Damranongchaitham, chairman of Thailand's biggest entertainment company GMM Grammy.

Paiboon quickly sought the financial help of "millions" of Thais to contribute somehow to the purchase, but when vague proposals fell flat, the deal was reduced to passing the hat around Asian business leaders.

"It's gone on and on," said Michael Stead, an analyst with Kim Eng Securities in Thailand who hails from Liverpool.

"I'm amused by the whole saga, because they've come up with so many different schemes to invest. It seemed to change by the week, and now the buck is being passed to the private sector," he said.

"I don't think it's helped Thaksin's reputation."

A respected Liverpool fanzine editor, Stephen Kelly, last month ripped into the Thai proposals and urged team supporters to organise against the bid.

"Liverpool supporters must think seriously about setting up a campaign against this deal, similar to the campaign set up by Manchester United fans who opposed Rupert Murdoch doing the same to their club," Kelly said in a statement posted on the most popular Liverpool fan website, koptalk.com.

All the while Liverpool's board has remained quiet on the deal, strengthening the suspicion that Thailand's bid was launched to galvanise nationalist sentiment at a time when Thaksin faced criticism over a number of issues including his handling of an insurgency in the Muslim south.

"The mood is no longer there, I just don't think people are excited about it anymore," said Somkiat Tangkijvanich, an economist with the Thai Development Research Institution. "It has degenerated."

Stead feels that ultimately Thailand's failed forays into big-time football will not deal a major blow to the country's investment status.

"The Liverpool saga has been bizarre, but it really hasn't damaged investor sentiment. It's raised a few chuckles though," he said.

But in a reflection on the unease the business world may be having with the deal, Grammy shares plunged 11 percent in four straight days of losses after it was reported that the firm's boss would head the negotiating team.

-- AFP 2004-07-04

Resistance to the deal aside, what is the real benefit of Thailand acquiring 30% of Liverpool? I mean, how would it benefit the nation as a whole?

You can only ask that retrospectively Eyes. The deal is long dead. It seemed like a good deal to the Fearless Leader ... well at the time it did.

Resistance to the deal aside, what is the real benefit of Thailand acquiring 30% of Liverpool? I mean, how would it benefit the nation as a whole?

Monetary Profit

I think part of the deal was that Mr T would get sales rights for all of asia.

This would have been worth a fortune, even for Taksin

Who would get the money is another question of course

Monetary Profit

I think part of the deal was that Mr T would get sales rights for all of asia.

This would have been worth a fortune, even for Taksin

Who would get the money is another question of course

Liverpool replica kits would have been compulsory, with the police empowered to shoot on sight anyone seen wearing a Man U shirt :o

he should have go for a swiss club and plan for a retirement ovethere

as some did before him ...

swiss accept any well known corrupted and rich politician ...

as long as they spend enough money wich should not be a problem for

this one.

I would be so happy if he could make such a mistake that makes him loose face for good !

he should apologize to Thai people already so much !

I still consider that he is a shame for this country.

francois

..sorry, out of my moderate mood ...

I would be so happy if he could make such a mistake that makes him loose face for good !

he should apologize to Thai people already so much !

I still consider that he is a shame for this country.

That may well be so, but the people here will be stupid enough to vote him in again

• 2 years later...

UPDATE

I guess Thaksin can finally give up on his desire to buy Liverpool... a couple of OTHER billionaires have bought the club.... sorry, Thakky ... :o

US billionaires buy Liverpool

The two men at the head of Tuesday's US-based 174.1 million-pound ($342 million) takeover of Liverpool have a colourful history of sports ownership in North America. American magnates George Gillett and Tom Hicks bring to Anfield an aggressive, if not chequered, record of company acquisitions and sporting management as well as a personal history of working together. The group was unveiled as the team's new owners at a Tuesday press conference. The Gillett/Hicks group becomes the third American-owned team in the English Premiership, following the Glazer family at Manchester United and Randy Lerner at Aston Villa.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=116619