Crossing border into Malaysia with my Motorbike

banglay

Hello Friends .

I am thinking of doing a road trip into Malaysia and onto Singapore on my motorbike .. I would appreciate any info of which document and any paper work I will need to cross the borders with my bike .....

if fact any sensible advice would be most welcome ????

Cheers ???? 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 2:16 PM, seedy said:

Been a while since I did it, when I took the HD to Singapore the last time pre-Covid.

You must have the green book translated into English by an approved Translation service - I sent mine to BKK via EMS and was back in a week.

We crossed at Sadao. You go to the border, shops there will sell you a sticker which is a translation of your Thai license plate into English. I have no windshield, so cut the sticker and put the letters on LH fork leg and the numbers on RH fork leg. No issue.

Also have to buy insurance for the duration of your stay.

There is also a 3 page document you get from Thai Customs. Fill it out. You deposit one copy leaving Thailand. Do not lose the other copies, as you deposit one more copy entering back into the Kingdom.

Some have said that if the Green book is not in your name a Power of Attorney form would suffice. Have no direct knowledge of that.

You will love the roads in Malaysia. Smooth as a pool table.

Cheers!  for taking the time to answer my post .. mucho appreciated ????

PS where did you source the local insurance for your HD ?

Edited by banglay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, banglay said:

PS where did you source the local insurance for your HD ?

Here in LOS or at the border ?

If at the border then there are shops right there to purchase insurance from.

This is similar to the Gov't insurance available here, limited coverage.

Talk to your insurance company and see if they will offer coverage for you and your bike in a foreign country.

1 hour ago, banglay said:

You're welcome. This is the purpose of Forums - help others.

But, of course, any time you have multiple people doing anything, there are bound to be some A's come-a-callin'

More people - more A's 555

• Haha 1

Thanks for the question and answer.  I am hoping do the same, heading for KL and the petronas towers..  

Did you find shops available for your HD?  I would think the Honda, KAwasaki, and suzaki would be abundant like in Thailand.

post-7852-0-65731600-1437167785_thumb.jpg

I worked in Singapore a bit and we used to have some guys come from Malaysia to work in the bank - so professional guys.

I know at the time they told me they weren't allowed to stay overnight on their licenses & had strict regulations in Singapore. I think Singapore is pretty strict re vehicles regs/licenses.

Sounds a nice journey.

Edited by Pmbkk

3 hours ago, Rhys said:

Thanks for the question and answer.  I am hoping do the same, heading for KL and the petronas towers..  

Did you find shops available for your HD?  I would think the Honda, KAwasaki, and suzaki would be abundant like in Thailand.

Know some people in KL so not a problem. Many custom bike shops that specialize in HD

The most beautiful girl I have seen in my life walked out of a store in front of me while I was on my way to take a foto of the Towers.

Mixed race I am guessing - Chinese, Malay, maybe some Indian.

Stopped me in my tracks. She looked at me, and a smile crossed her lips.

Been 15 years and I still think about her.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

I know at the time they told me they weren't allowed to stay overnight on their licenses & had strict regulations in Singapore. I think Singapore is pretty strict re vehicles regs/licenses.

Stayed a week the times I went.

You have to get a transponder for the ERP fitted to your bike, and pay up front for the tolls on the roads in SIN.

https://onemotoring.lta.gov.sg/content/onemotoring/home/driving/ERP/ERP.html

And most police do not wear uniforms, so ...

That said I find the place a bit sterile - too spit and polish, manicured within an inch of its life.

Like a little grunge me !

I crossed a few years back in my pickup and it was so quick and easy, I thought I must have got something wrong.

I crossed at a beautiful crossing the Wang Prachan border post.

I obviously had my passport d/l, insurance, Vehicle documents, the Thai temp export forms etc etc. (you don't need the purple book car passport - that's for entering Laos)

To get to the crossing you drive through a national park and depending on Time of day/moth/year it is relatively quiet.

We basically were rushed through the border and ended up the other side somewhat bewildered. bought insurance once through the border but my vehicle needed number plates in western script but the office that provided them was closed as it was after 4.30 pm.

So we then drove to Padang Pesar where we got fully documented and the number plate stuck on. Then fully documented we set off for Penang. Stopping over=night on the way.

one thing that won't affect you on a motorbike is the tinted window rule.

I don't have tinted windows but there is a limit on how much tint you can have in Malaysia and they actually measure it on some vehicles - so those with tints make sure they aren't too back.

fuel was about half the price of Thailand.

Edited by kwilco