Is flying into BKK now back to normal?

CG1 Blue

My friends are flying into BKK from London in a couple of weeks. They haven’t been to Thailand since before Covid.

I wondered if those who have recently arrived at BKK on an international flight could give any advice on what they can expect. Is it back to how it was pre-Covid now? More specifically:

Vaccination status. Is this being checked at the airport on arrival? They’ve had 3 jabs, the last ones in December 2021. AstraZeneca and Pfizer. NHS app barcode expires May 2023.

Masks – will they need to wear a mask after disembarking? Will they need to wear a mask for the duration of their flight with Thai Airways?

Insurance – they have a good travel insurance policy through their bank accounts in the UK. Will this be sufficient? Will they be asked to produce a paper copy of the policy upon arrival?

Taxi – is the taxi rank operating as normal at Swampy?  

Anything else to be aware of?

Just trying to avoid any nasty surprises for them!

Many thanks

Easier. No papers to fill prior to arrival. They do fingerprints so your history is there I guess. I got no rhetoric for a change, but I did read someone came across a female IO gave them some chat, so I chose a male IO to queue in his line. Baggage arrival took longer.

• Like 1

Masks are not compulsory but with new variants, you don't wear at your risk. Airline staff do, IO do. Travel insurance by Thai company not needed, but your own countries always worth having. Taxis operating per normal. Yes swampy back pre covid from my comings and goings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Whats normal? Reported long queues last week

Normal is no mask on the flight, get off the plane and walk to immigration, show your passport, get your bags, go outside and join the taxi queue. There were a lot of extra measures during Covid 

On 11/12/2022 at 8:08 AM, Haveasay said:

Easier. No papers to fill prior to arrival. They do fingerprints so your history is there I guess. I got no rhetoric for a change, but I did read someone came across a female IO gave them some chat, so I chose a male IO to queue in his line. Baggage arrival took longer.

I find this ridiculous. Someone got questioned by a female IO (probably because questions needed to be asked), so therefore avoid female IOs.

My friend once got asked if he had an onwards journey booked by a male IO who wore glasses. So  my advice to all of you is to avoid IOs that wear glasses.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Vaccination status. Is this being checked at the airport on arrival? They’ve had 3 jabs, the last ones in December 2021. AstraZeneca and Pfizer. NHS app barcode expires May 2023.

Not being checked but often get asked. I was asked when checking in in Singapore on Friday if I was fully vaccinated. "Yes". They didn't ask to see proof. I have been asked this prior to most flights. So although it is not necessary to be vaccinated I always have my vaccination certificate with me just in case. You won't be asked on arrival.

Masks – will they need to wear a mask after disembarking? Will they need to wear a mask for the duration of their flight with Thai Airways?

Masks are not required. On most flights I have been on it is 70-30 masked vs unmasked. But it is up to you. Likewise in the airport.

Insurance – they have a good travel insurance policy through their bank accounts in the UK. Will this be sufficient? Will they be asked to produce a paper copy of the policy upon arrival?

No need for insurance. You will not be asked for it.

Taxi – is the taxi rank operating as normal at Swampy?  

Yes, although it is supposedly very busy as there are not enough taxis, so expect a queue. I haven't checked it myself as I always take the train. If you want piece of mind after a long flight book a car and have it waiting.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Not being checked but often get asked. I was asked when checking in in Singapore on Friday if I was fully vaccinated. "Yes". They didn't ask to see proof. I have been asked this prior to most flights. So although it is not necessary to be vaccinated I always have my vaccination certificate with me just in case. You won't be asked on arrival.

Masks are not required. On most flights I have been on it is 70-30 masked vs unmasked. But it is up to you. Likewise in the airport.

No need for insurance. You will not be asked for it.

Yes, although it is supposedly very busy as there are not enough taxis, so expect a queue. I haven't checked it myself as I always take the train. If you want piece of mind after a long flight book a car and have it waiting.

Very helpful, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I came in yesterday afternoon.

All very straight forward, no questions re any of the above.

Non-Thai immigration hardly any queue. Thai, we were straight through. 

Baggage reclaim was a bit of a nightmare - probably waited for about an hour. 

I noticed others with notices also of Baggage reclaim delays.