Ukraine: No water, power or internet – only euphoria in newly liberated Kherson

onthedarkside

Screenshot_6.jpg.267e7f9220b8ae6aedd59c8ac4b8e2fd.jpg

Kherson, Ukraine (CNN)  — For eight months, residents of the Ukrainian city of Kherson have been living under brutal Russian occupation. But on Friday, Ukrainian forces swept into the city and Russian troops retreated to the east.

The residents have no water, no internet connection and little power. But as a CNN crew entered the city on Saturday, the mood was euphoric.

As the crew filmed live in Kherson’s central square, some in the crowd of locals sang the national anthem while others shouted “Slava Ukrayini!” – glory to Ukraine, a patriotic greeting.

(more)

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/12/europe/kherson-city-ukraine-russia-intl

CNN.jpg.c75363634265cd313da6b7d237c199e4.jpg

Strange fact about the population of Kherson: 20% of the population is ethnic Russian, and yet 45% of the population are primarily Russian speakers (according to Wiki). This means that a proportion (about a third) of 'ethnic Ukrainians' in the city primarily speak Russian rather than Ukrainian. I'm trying to get my head around how that could be. 

It's not like, say, Indian immigrants in the UK start to speak primarily English rather than Hindi, as English is the ethnic language of the nation, so the adoption is natural. How then can ethnic Ukrainians come to be speaking primarily Russian? I don't get it. Can anyone shed any light on this? Could it be that Russian is actually the original ethnic language of the region and that it has become 'Ukrainianised' more recently?

I should mention that similar discrepancies in the ethnic/language populations of many cities in Ukraine are to be found. Demographics is obviously an important issue in this war yet I suspect that few people know the demographic make-up or history of the region.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mr Derek said:

Strange fact about the population of Kherson: 20% of the population is ethnic Russian, and yet 45% of the population are primarily Russian speakers (according to Wiki). This means that a proportion (about a third) of 'ethnic Ukrainians' in the city primarily speak Russian rather than Ukrainian. I'm trying to get my head around how that could be. 

It's not like, say, Indian immigrants in the UK start to speak primarily English rather than Hindi, as English is the ethnic language of the nation, so the adoption is natural. How then can ethnic Ukrainians come to be speaking primarily Russian? I don't get it. Can anyone shed any light on this? Could it be that Russian is actually the original ethnic language of the region and that it has become 'Ukrainianised' more recently?

I should mention that similar discrepancies in the ethnic/language populations of many cities in Ukraine are to be found. Demographics is obviously an important issue in this war yet I suspect that few people know the demographic make-up or history of the region.

I read recently that Moldova is not a Russian language and yet it's mostly written in Cyrillic. I guess the historical reasons for that are similar to the eastern part of Ukraine. Many Swiss speak German so language is not a primary determinant for nationality or ethnicity.